Single engine CV trap

Old June 4th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Charlie Wolf

Default Single engine CV trap

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 20:47:11 -0700, "John Weiss"
jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote:

"Larry Cauble" wrote...

Has any twin-engine aircraft been authorized (per manual or NATOPS) to
land with an engine inoperative? Has any twin-engine aircraft ever
landed aboard with an engine out?

Don't know of one off hand that has NOT!

A-6, E-2, F-4, F/A-18...

Also S-3A/B. Bingo was always preferred if available, however, the
S-3 had a fairly decent single engine profile. I don't recall ever
rigging the barricade for a single engine S-3.
Regards,

Old June 5th 07, 04:04 AM
Larry Cauble Larry Cauble is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon, USA

Thanks, all. I woulda figured a higher pucker factor.

Just another day at the office!
Old June 5th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Weiss[_1_]

"Charlie Wolf" wrote...
Don't know of one off hand that has NOT!

A-6, E-2, F-4, F/A-18...

Also S-3A/B. Bingo was always preferred if available, however, the
S-3 had a fairly decent single engine profile. I don't recall ever
rigging the barricade for a single engine S-3.

I didn't intend the list to be all inclusive; there are others.

I never had the "pleasure" -- never had a J-65 or J-52 quit on me in 3500 hours
of A-4 and A-6 flying! All 525 traps were with all installed engines running.

Old July 1st 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Art Greer

The only twins that didn't do single engine landing to my knowledge were the
A-3 and RA-5s. I've seen an RA-5 land with the canopy blown and an A-3 take
a barricade when it's hook presure system failed causing hook skip, but no
single engine landings.
Art Greer

Old July 1st 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave Kearton

Art Greer wrote:
The only twins that didn't do single engine landing to my knowledge
were the A-3 and RA-5s. I've seen an RA-5 land with the canopy blown
and an A-3 take a barricade when it's hook presure system failed
causing hook skip, but no single engine landings.
Art Greer

I guess a go-aroound would be an adventure on an A-3 (even an S-3) with the
engines so far apart.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old July 2nd 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Weiss[_1_]

"Dave Kearton" wrote

I guess a go-aroound would be an adventure on an A-3 (even an S-3) with the
engines so far apart.

Rudders are sized to the requirement...

Even the A-6 needed a footfull of rudder on 1 engine.

Old July 2nd 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

In early 60's I never saw an engine failure in VAH-5's A3D's although
single engine approaches and landings were practiced in the RAG with one
engine pulled back to idle. In 1962, an A-3 doing a loft maneuver on the
Lake George, FL, target had the port (I think) engine break away about
40deg nose up and follow the loft bomb trajectory presumably into the
Lake. The scoring towers declined to score the engine splash. The A-3
returned to NAS Sanford, about 40 miles, and called in that they had
lost an engine. The tower operator reportedly replied quite bored,
"Cleared for straight-in runway 9, standard single engine approach."
Only after being told in no uncertain terms that the port engine was
missing did the tower alert the crash crews and VAH-5 maintenance. Given
the A-3's narrow 'wheelbase' the maintenance chief sent 12-15 men out to
the runway, after rollout they climbed on the wing to counterbalance the
missing engine. I've seen a picture of the A-3 taxiing or being towed in
to the line with the dozen or so men on the pylon-only wing, in one of
the A-3 Skywarrior monographs. But from 1960-63 I don't remember any
engine failures - an event which seems to have increased with age, as I
read these postings.
Joel McEachen VAH-5

Old July 2nd 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Charlie Wolf

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 07:37:12 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

Art Greer wrote:
The only twins that didn't do single engine landing to my knowledge
were the A-3 and RA-5s. I've seen an RA-5 land with the canopy blown
and an A-3 take a barricade when it's hook presure system failed
causing hook skip, but no single engine landings.
Art Greer

I guess a go-aroound would be an adventure on an A-3 (even an S-3) with the
engines so far apart.

Actually, S-3 had fairly decent single engine characteristics.
Regards,