Rental in or near Tucson?

Old May 31st 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gyoung

Default Rental in or near Tucson?

I'm planning to visit Tucson in mid-June and would like to do a bit of
flying in the vicinity. Would y'all lend your advice and council?
-- Information on availability of rental? (SEL)
-- Advice on flying thereabouts?
(north, east, maybe south [not too far south])
Thanks.
george
Seaford, VA
Old May 31st 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 30, 6:35 pm, gyoung wrote:
I'm planning to visit Tucson in mid-June and would like to do a bit of
flying in the vicinity. Would y'all lend your advice and council?
-- Information on availability of rental? (SEL)
-- Advice on flying thereabouts?
(north, east, maybe south [not too far south])
Thanks.
george
Seaford, VA

I use to go out to Tucson every summer and Thanksgiving period. Its
pretty much desert all over the place. A lot of people worry about the
TS in the summer but I honestly have never found them to be a major
issue in AZ or NM (where I do most of my summer cross countries). The
TS are usually isolated and moving. By slowing enroute you can almost
always time your arrival to miss any TS that is over the airport, and
by being flexible enough to fly around the TS you are easily miss
them. I guess maybe if you're in a C-150 and don't have the
performance to fly around the TS it may be more of an issue. BTW:
Flying South is where its at. Most of my best trips have been in
Mexico, don't write Mexico off too easily (although you could probably
never take a rental down there).

-Robert

Old June 2nd 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Reed

I'm planning to visit Tucson in mid-June and would like to do a bit of
flying in the vicinity. Would y'all lend your advice and council?
-- Information on availability of rental? (SEL)
-- Advice on flying thereabouts?
(north, east, maybe south [not too far south])

There are four airports in Tucson, one of which is private. I believe
there are rentals available at two airports. KTUS (Tucson International)
has a few flight schools and rental choices. KAVQ (Marana Northwest
Regional) has one flight school and some rental aircraft. TUS is a class
C airport and AVQ is uncontrolled.

Airnav should get you specific contact information.

As to where to fly - depends on what you want to see or do and how far
you want to fly. About 100 NM south of TUS is Mexico. There are some
places to go east and west, but most stuff is north. Sedona isn't too
far. The Grand Canyon is a bit further.

--
Ken Reed
M20M, N9124X