Tow Ropes

Old July 14th 05, 05:28 AM

Default Tow Ropes

We are trying to collect some information about tow ropes used
in the soaring community and the process people use deterime the
condition of the rope.

This is for aerowtow only. As an example the Tucson Soaring Club uses
a 2000 lb breaking strength rope with weak links on both ends.
Experience
has shown that the rope is best retired after 60 tows. We fly off
a packed gravel dirt surface in LOTS of sunshine. We sometimes have the
rope break without applying a heavy load as migh be encountered
during training or gusty conditions. Do others out there experience
this ?
Do you chalk it up to "just another rope break?" Or do you log the
number of tows for a particular rope and retire it like we do ?

Hope to hear back.

Thanks,

Bob Perry

Old July 14th 05, 02:32 PM
HL Falbaum

We at Mid Georgia Soaring (USA) fly from a paved strip. We dropped the rope
in the grass beside the initial paved part, on the side opposite, and away,
from operations. We didn't count tows per rope, but discard the rope when it
doesn't look right anymore. This is subjective but we got 6 months or more
per rope and we have not had a "real" rope break in years. We agreed that if
one 'group' of strands of a hollow-braided polypropylene was completely worn
through, it was more bad than good. About 3 years ago we switched to the
Tost Reel system, which allows us to land opposite takeoff and taxi up to
the next tow without dragging the rope and rings down a paved runway, saving
considerable time. Also no "lost" ropes anymore, and no worries about
snagged powerlines. After the usual 'teething' problems, it is very
satisfactory.
Flying out of Minden, I once landed at Silver Springs airport, a gravel
strip. The rocks were sharp edged, anout 1-3 cm diameter of some kind of
flint or obsidian rock, of obvious igneous origin. Tow ropes dragged across
this would surely suffer severely. I can only imagine what it does to tires!

--
Hartley Falbaum
ups.com...

Old July 14th 05, 04:16 PM
For Example John Smith

We fly from a 3400' grass strip and I know of only one real rope break in
the last several years.
The full length of the tow rope is examined by the tow pilot at the
beginning of the day and each pilot examines 'their' end before every
flight. An average summer day has about 40 tows and our ropes tend to stay
in service for months.
The tug lands downwind and rolls up to the grid.
When it's busy we use two ropes.
ups.com...

Old July 14th 05, 07:23 PM
toad

We fly off grass, replace ropes as inspection shows the need and have
never had a break (that I heard of) in the 6 years that I have been
with the club.

Todd

Old July 14th 05, 09:32 PM
GM

About 3 years ago we switched to the Tost Reel system,...

What tow plane are you using the TOST Reel in? Any problems getting it
approved?
Just curious..

Uli Neumann

Old July 14th 05, 10:04 PM
HL Falbaum

Towplane---Pawnee
No problem installing or approving.

--
Hartley Falbaum
ASW27B USA

oups.com...

Old July 15th 05, 07:39 PM
John Sp

Hi There

Does anyone know of a user of the Tost reel system on a Super-Cub -
I would appreciate contact details

Regards

John

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
[...]