L33

Old July 14th 05, 06:29 PM
Wayne Paul

The "Schreder Sailplane Designs" web site
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder) is a good source for HP/RS sailplane
information. It is a repository of data provided by various HP/RS owners
and builders.

The following articles contain information that will be valuable to anyone
considering purchasing a HP or RS sailplane:
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/St..._HP_flight.htm
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Large-span_flaps.html
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/St...r_on_Flaps.htm
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...Inspection.htm

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...

The reason I mentioned total time is this - I don't generally recommend
an HP to someone with low total time because the handling is somewhat
challenging - more so than is normal for a glider. However, someone
with a reasonable amount of airplane time would have no problem with it
(and certainly someone with hours in 5 digits including military time
would not find the handling challenging). The advantage is this - you
get a ship with reasonable XC performance (35:1 and up, depending on
model, and much better penetration than you're going to get in any of
the other gliders you are considering) in an all-metal ship that can be
kept assembled and tied down. It's not really a good choice for a
glider-only pilot, because someone with enough experience to deal with
the handling usually won't be satisfied with the performance (it won't
match a modern glass ship) and a 50-hour pilot is usually going to have
problems with the takeoffs and landings (a friend of mine bought his
HP-18 at 50 hours and ground looped it at least half a dozen times
before he learned to fly it). However, it is a great choice for a
transition pilot. I think it would be ideal for you.

The 1-26E can be kept tied down outside, but it's not ideal. The
control surfaces are fabric, so they will deteriorate. I agree with
you about the flying qualities of the 1-26 - it's great fun. I think
you will find the L-33 disappointing by comparison; I know I did. It's
a shame you don't have a hangar available - the Ka-8 is like a 1-26,
only more so - just as light on the controls as the 1-26 but with
better feel, and a much better soaring ship. If you ever have the
chance to fly one, take it. But it's wood, so outside storage is a
problem, and it's just as much of a pain to assemble as the 1-26 if not
more so.

If you're going to assemble and disassemble daily, I don't really see
any advantage to a metal ship. A PW-5 or Russia would make a lot of
sense (note - I haven't flown either, so can't comment on the flying
qualities) but why not something like a Libelle? I would not recommend
an HP if you are going to assemble and disassemble daily - those wings
are HEAVY.

Michael

Old July 15th 05, 05:53 AM

The paint on our club's L33 looks bad (not as bad as the one in those
pictures though, yikes!). Part of the problem is that LET uses anodized
aluminium which is tricky to get paint to stick to. Excellent corrosion
resistance though. That doesn't forgive the brittle, chalky paint on
ours but it does help explain why it comes off so easily. We should
have ordered it in the plain anodized finish.

I found it fun to fly (more so than a 1-26 which I also enjoyed). Very
nimble and, perhaps surprising for a metal ship, dead quiet inside.
That said, I still found the PW-5 to be better. For one thing the low
speed handling of the PW seems better. The L33 just doesn't seem happy
below 50 knots.

If the main thing you're worried about is saving your back rigging and
derigging though just get a good one man assembly dolly like Udo
Rumpf's. I got one for my ship and I'm NEVER going back to doing it the
hard way!

Old July 15th 05, 04:48 PM
Jack

rich wrote:

Stay with the green pickle Jack, but pink?

What a great pear they make.

Jack
Old July 16th 05, 12:41 AM

How about the Silent 2? LD of 39:1 , wings that weight 75 Lbs,automatic
control connections and if you want it can later be converted to a self
launcher. Sounds better that a PW5 to me......

Old July 16th 05, 09:49 PM
Stuart Grant

Had an L-33 tied out in Miami sun and rain for two years no worse for
wear. I used Nufinish car wax on it at least twice a year and had
"Sunbrella" covers for the wings, canopy and tail fin (stored the
horizontal stab inside).

It was not very easy to get the wing pins in - but I didn't get much
practice with only about 6 or 7 assemblies in two years. I really don't
think I would want to assemble it for every flight.

When I flew it I weighed about 160 lbs and didn't use a chute. I
frequently thermalled it below 40 knots in small thermals. I think it
flew and landed great. I now fly a 1987 Discus B which goes together
very easily. Discii are known for their great handling and I think the
L-33 handled just as nice.

If you read the Dick Johnson review article you will see that the
reason the one he flew had a tendancy to spin was because it was a test
ship that had been flown faster than Vne and the wings had wrinkles.

The L33 was the first single place glider I ever flew and I had about
40 hours in gliders when I first flew it. I think it is safe for a
low-time pilot but maybe get a checkout from a CFIG. My CFIG (Burt
Compton) taught me to land it level on the main wheel - not tail first.
It has a strong shock-absorbed main wheel and I usually touched down at
a little below 40 knots - not full stall.

I think it was extremely well made and I had lots of fun in it. Lots of
pilots flew it in Miami and everyone liked it.