EA-18G "Growler"

Old November 15th 05, 11:09 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

Default EA-18G "Growler"

Owl,

Si. The many targets per one jet thing made jets with more bombs (e.g. BUF)
more attractive to ABCCC dudes.

The A-6 was used very handily in the shore-base expeditionary role in DS.
In fact, I seem to remember photos of USMC squadrons loaded with 10 x 82ıs
and 12 x Mk-20ıs. IMHO the 28-bomb loadout was almost a ³ferry tail² given
that at least one drop tank was required for on station time‹at least in my
experience.

Iım fairly sure the 500 lb JDAM has IOCıed (GBU-38). I havenıt seen one yet
personally though. Good for Harriers mostly... And any other strike
platform that is concerned about CD.

--Woody

On 11/14/05 1:02 PM, in article
, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

Woody,

It goes almost without saying that one of the Drumstick's finest attributes
was as a carrier-capable long-legged flying dump truck.

And playing the "what might have been" along with you, the switch to weps that
give platforms "targets per sortie" capabilities (versus the "sorties per
target" days of the VN war) would further magnify the "dump truck" honorific.

With the air attack emphasis in the current conflict moving increasingly
toward smaller, high-accuracy weps (take out the shed in the back of the third
house in the block, instead of the entire block), the potential A-6 loadout
approaches the old 28 weps-on-5-MERS configuration (and your FAC(A) scenario,
minus the comparatively-inaccurate rockets). Further, this hypothetical begs
the reintroduction of the A-6 into a USMC-style shore-based expeditionary
usage. With no need to lug to/from the boat, more drop tanks are switched out
for MERs.

Certainly a change from the days of "take out the center tank in the first row
of the POL complex" and pray that your system didn't go squirrelly, taking
your run over Uncle Ho's Happy Peoples' Convalescent Hospital & SAM Warehouse,
or some other McNamara-forbidden target.

ISTR that a MK82 JDAM is in the works, or maybe already deployed, n'est-ce
pas?

Old November 15th 05, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

EA-18G "Growler"Woody,

IMHO the 28-bomb loadout was almost a "ferry tail" given that at least one drop tank was required for on station time-at least in my experience.

True...or lots of "give" available overhead. (My head is still locked in the Days of Wine and Roses, when each cycle had at least one EKA-3 and one or two A-6 duty tankers in orbit.)

******

Nasty crack that circulated in the early 1970s, just as the EA-6Bs were about to make their first sea deployment, was one that asked how much "give" they could offer. On at least one occasion, this sort of comment came from a "heavy" who had never taken the time to notice that the EA-6B was an electron-chaser by design, and not a hypermorph like the Whale had become.

And now it appears we are coming full-circle, with the Growler being the new hypermorph.

--
Mike Kanze

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson."

- Bart Simpson

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message ...
Owl,

Si. The many targets per one jet thing made jets with more bombs (e.g. BUF) more attractive to ABCCC dudes.

The A-6 was used very handily in the shore-base expeditionary role in DS. In fact, I seem to remember photos of USMC squadrons loaded with 10 x 82's and 12 x Mk-20's. IMHO the 28-bomb loadout was almost a "ferry tail" given that at least one drop tank was required for on station time-at least in my experience.

I'm fairly sure the 500 lb JDAM has IOC'ed (GBU-38). I haven't seen one yet personally though. Good for Harriers mostly... And any other strike platform that is concerned about CD.

Old November 16th 05, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

.... And that myth kept perpetuating. There were a few guys at China Lake
that were trying to plumb the Prowler for a Buddy Store. According to a
couple of mechs I used to socialize with, it was an O-level mod.

My contention (like yours) was that the Prowler was MUCH too valuable to be
relegated to tanker duty.

Now the P-3 on the other hand...

--Woody

On 11/15/05 1:20 PM, in article
, "Mike Kanze"

Old November 16th 05, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:13:53 GMT, "Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal"
wrote:

My contention (like yours) was that the Prowler was MUCH too valuable to be
relegated to tanker duty.

Now the P-3 on the other hand...

Hey, all you have to do is fit a hook and figure out how to fold the
wings!!!!! ;-)

Bill Kambic

Old November 16th 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Bill,

Not quite so simple.

First you have to wean the VP community from per-diem. Only when you have been successful in this can you consider the investment in airframe mods.

Old November 16th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:20:28 -0800, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

Bill,

Not quite so simple.

First you have to wean the VP community from per-diem.

making the Sign of the Cross Get thee behind me,
Satan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Only when you have been successful in this can you consider the investment in airframe mods.

Well, OK, as long we don't have to give up the galley.

Bill Kambic
Old December 4th 05, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Mike Kanze wrote:
[...]

Speaking of hypermorphing...An interesting article in the Sept. 2005
Proceedings, "Creatively Bridging the Gap" by Captain Gordon E. Van
Hook, USN, and Captain Thomas C. Cropper, USN, declares that the
APS-130 on the EA-6B makes it useful in an ASW/SSSC role (like it's not
tasked in too many roles already). Also, "Every aircraft in CVW-11 is
an ASW aircraft".

Old December 5th 05, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Same as what happened in the mid-1970s, when we migrated to the CV deck (from the split CVA / CVS dedicated decks). Among other taskings was that the A-6s would become secondary SSSC platforms, and the primary delivery platform for the later-cancelled CAPTOR (encapsulated torpedo) weapon.

Deja-vu all over again.

--
Mike Kanze

"Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."

-- Homer Simpson

Old December 5th 05, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Mike Kanze wrote:
Same as what happened in the mid-1970s, when we migrated to the CV deck
(from the split CVA / CVS dedicated decks). Among other taskings was
that the A-6s would become secondary SSSC platforms, and the primary
delivery platform for the later-cancelled CAPTOR (encapsulated torpedo)
weapon.

Regarding CAPTOR, "later canceled" must mean "served for more than 20
years and was retired". CAPTOR was fielded in 1979 and phased out
around 2002.

--
Tom Schoene lid
To email me, replace "invalid" with "net"