Carb Air Temperature Hookup

Old May 9th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Carb Air Temperature Hookup

I'm trying to help a friend on a Fairchild restoration

It has an undocumented carb air temp gauge. Looks like an AN
type indicator-- cannon plug with 3 pins, A, B & C. The pointer
has no zero position so I think it's a ratio measuring device
like many fuel gauges.

The sender is a resistance device with two pins.

I have a hunch one of the three pins is A+, one is ground,
and the third goes to the sender, with its other pin grounded.

There is continuity between two of the pins on the indicator.
The 2K range of an ohmmeter will drive the indicator full scale,
direction depending on the polarity.

So maybe I can figure this out. Does anyone have the answer to
save me the trouble? Surely I'm not the first.

Thanks, Bill Hale

Old May 9th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote)
I'm trying to help a friend on a Fairchild restoration

It has an undocumented carb air temp gauge. Looks like an AN type
indicator-- cannon plug with 3 pins, A, B & C. The pointer has no zero
position so I think it's a ratio measuring device like many fuel gauges.

The sender is a resistance device with two pins.

What year and type or Fairchild?

Montblack

Old May 9th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Don't know the year... it's a 24 with Ranger inverted engine

Old May 9th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote)
Don't know the year... it's a 24 with Ranger inverted engine

http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Aircraft.html
Fairchild 21 and 26. (200 hp Ranger engines)

Think it might be the same system? If you do, I'll print out a copy of your
e-mail. If I see a mechanic over there, I'll ask.

http://www.fairchild24.com/
Cool site. Nice looking plane.

http://www.fairchild24.com/history.htm
Fairchild 24 History link:
Check out the OSH '01, '02, '03, '04 pics.

Montblack

Old May 9th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Montblack" wrote)
http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Aircraft.html
Fairchild 21 and 26. (200 hp Ranger engines)

Not a Fairchild 21.
Bad fingers! Bad brain!

I'll ask around, see if they've bumped into your problem before.

[mentioned in the below link]

Fairchilds:
1943 PT-19A (Engine: Ranger, inline inverted 6 cylinder 175/200HP)
1943 PT-23 (Radial Engine: Continental R-670-11, 220 HP)
1942 PT-26 (Engine: Ranger, inline inverted 6 cylinder 175/200HP)

Fairchild FC-2-W2 - 1927 ...NASA's first plane :-)

[Being restored]
Fairchild F-45A - 1936
Fairchild KR-34C - 1929

http://www.pilotjournal.com/content/...oryteller.html
[From the link]
Greg caught the "vintage bug" as a child who attended antique fly-ins with
his father in Ottumwa, Iowa. For his high school graduation gift, Greg
received flying lessons-he earned his pilot's license within two months. But
his fever skyrocketed in 1992 when he took a ride in a friend's Fairchild
PT-19. The following year, Greg purchased a PT-26. One PT-19 and PT-23
later, he had a full set of Fairchild trainers. That was just the beginning.
Greg wanted to give the Golden Age the recognition it deserved: "It was a
fabulous time with literally hundreds of models being built. Unfortunately,
you see very few of them."

His planes are housed at the Golden Wings Museum (www.golden
wingsmuseum.com) at Anoka County-Blaine Airport in Minneapolis. On the
roster is a 1937 Fleetwings Seabird, a stainless steel plane-one of five
ever made-that Howard Hughes flew for three months. His 1927 Fairchild
FC-2-WS (which he dubbed "the predecessor to the space shuttle") was the
first plane that NACA (now NASA) owned.

Montblack