Wildcat on the Ronald Reagan

Old September 19th 03, 07:17 PM
WDA

No sweat! The F4F would probably have to taxi up to the number one wire for
a trapped landing.

It probably could also make a deck-run-takeoff off the angle deck with room
to spare.

WDA
VF-24, VA-192, 1956 - 1959

end

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
Suppose someone tried to land an F4F Wildcat on a modern American
aircraft carrier. We'll give the carrier a few hours to prepare, and lets

assume
the carrier is at sea and moving.

Can a WWII fighter land on a modern carrier? Can it get back in the air?

-Much Thanks
-CMTalleyrand

Old September 20th 03, 01:48 AM
Bill Kambic

We were always told that the performance of a T28C and F4F were pretty close
(the Wildcat at a 1200 hp P & W, the Trojan a 1475 hp Wright Cyclone and
their weights were close). At VT-5 we CQed by trapping and launched by
deck run. IIRC, in the late 60s when LEXINGTON was not available, a CVA
was sometimes (but rarely) a stand-in. After the last 27C was retired, a
CVA would be all that was available.

Which kind of a long way of saying that an F4F would like have to trap, but
would likely have to deck run for take off (as I doubt any modern CVA has
the proper launch gear).

Bill Kambic

P.S. On very rare occasions we deck ran S2s and C1s on INTREPID. It could
only be done if the aircraft were very light.

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

Old September 20th 03, 07:19 PM
WDA

At Pensacola in 1955 we qualed in the SNJ on the Monterey, which I believe
was a CVE, an "escort" carrier. We trapped, then did a SHORT deck run right
from the spot of the trap rollout.

The Monterey was definitely smaller than the Bon Homme Richard on that first
WestPac deployment.

We told the Forrestal class weenies that their ships were so big you could
see the curvature of the earth in their flight deck.

Those were great days!

WDA

end

Old September 21st 03, 05:17 AM
Elmshoot

Many WWII carriers did not have catapults, and the planes operated just fine
without them. What makes you think a catapult is necessary now?

In the Prowler flight simulator we used to do a deck run after a trap. We would
just taxi back to the round down and spin around and cob the power. It was
really not to difficult I would think that any moderen Jet aircraft F-14,
F/a-18, EA-6B, S-3, E-2 could do a deck run the full length of the deck and get
airborne at max landing weight. If you cranked up the wind you might make it at
max T/O weight as well but I'm not sure about that.
Sparky

Old September 21st 03, 06:33 PM
Walt BJ

SNIP:
Bill Kambic

P.S. On very rare occasions we deck ran S2s and C1s on INTREPID. It

could
only be done if the aircraft were very light.

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage

you to get over it.

That is a cool disclaimer. I like it. More sophisticated than the one
that ends "....and the horse you rode into town on, too!"

As for WW2 fighters landing on carriers, the RAF did just that
evacuating Norway in early WW2 - they landed 8 Hurricanes on Glorious
- without hooks. And Glorious was a small carrier, converted from a
WW1 'battle cruiser'. Unfortunately the ship was sunk on the way home
and only about two dozen people survived.
Walt BJ
Old September 21st 03, 09:20 PM
Bill Kambic

"Walt BJ" wrote in message

That is a cool disclaimer. I like it. More sophisticated than the one
that ends "....and the horse you rode into town on, too!"

Thank you, Sir!g

It is not completely original work, but enough that I think I can use it in
good conscience. And if someone disagrees, then they can just go and read
and heed!g

As for WW2 fighters landing on carriers, the RAF did just that
evacuating Norway in early WW2 - they landed 8 Hurricanes on Glorious
- without hooks. And Glorious was a small carrier, converted from a
WW1 'battle cruiser'. Unfortunately the ship was sunk on the way home
and only about two dozen people survived.

I suspect that with enough wind over the deck you can do this. Thing is,
with tail dragger, you had best be very careful with the brakes, or you will
embarass yourself mightily!

Bill Kambic

Old September 22nd 03, 01:53 PM
Pechs1

waltBJ- You know, Old Phart, I once considered going into the USN V12
program,
but then the thought of 6 months on a boat made me go USAF. I really
don't care for guys all that much. Women are softer and smell better,
BRBR

Nawwww-sailors(and aviators) belong on ships, ships belong at sea...

After 2 years flying exchange with the USAF(great guys but ohhh that chain of
command!!), I know I was in the right place in the USN..

Besides, some of the guys that flew in the USAF were kinda 'girly'...

Just kiddin'-I enjoyed my USAF squadronmates, the aircraft(F-4D) condition and
particularly standing tall before the Wing Commander for wearing brown boots,
coming into the break(overhead) too fast and too close, for having my sleeves
rolled up, that kinda thing.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old September 22nd 03, 04:37 PM
Joop Schaeffer

"Pechs1" schreef in bericht
OJ- My only question
would be can modern arresting gear be set to handle the, generally,
much lower weights of WWII carrier aircraft compared to those
operating today? [e.g., F4F ~7,500 lbs, A4M ~25,000 lbs] BRBR

I would guess they would pull the wires and let the A/C just land.. CV

with 35
knots on, plus any natural wind, F4F would be closing at about what, 50

knots
or so-easy to stop.

Wildcat:
airplane characteristics & performance burea of aeronautics-navy dept.:

take-off distance -15 kn 410 ft
take-off distance -25 kn 278 ft

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/f4f-4.pdf

Old September 23rd 03, 06:00 AM
Elmshoot

Nawwww-sailors(and aviators) belong on ships, ships belong at sea...
After 2 years flying exchange with the USAF(great guys but ohhh that chain
of command!!), I know I was in the right place in the USN.. Besides, some
of the guys that flew in the USAF were kinda 'girly'... Just kiddin'-I
enjoyed my USAF squadronmates, the aircraft(F-4D) condition and particularly
standing tall before the Wing Commander for wearing brown boots, coming into
the break(overhead) too fast and too close, for having my sleeves rolled up,
that kinda thing.

Old Phart,
LOL I rememder being called on the carpet by some 0-6 at Eglin when I was
involved in a NMAC with some 1 star who had his head up his butt. I walked in
with my sleaves rolled up my callsign name tag so they had no iIdea what my
name or rank was and I had that oh so special aroma from 3 days in FL on det in
the same bag. I did the talking. I had the computer print out from a tracking
pod on the plane. I was so happy that I didn't die I figured the wost they
could do is call my skipper and complain for my insubordination. But they
didn't have a leg to stand on. It was actually fun for me.

Sparky