VF Question

Old April 15th 04, 02:04 PM
Pechs1

What's an 'ILS'...needles were for Nancys.....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old April 15th 04, 06:22 PM
John R Weiss

"Pechs1" wrote...
What's an 'ILS'...needles were for Nancys.....

True...

They never worked on Lex for my initial A-6 qual...

The Combat Buckeye and TraCom Scooters didn't have them, either.

Old April 15th 04, 07:12 PM
Mike Kanze

John,

They never worked on Lex for my initial A-6 qual...

Flying the needles reminds me of the A-6A's AN/ASQ-61 Landing Mode program.
Think of an ILS-type approach displayed through VDI symbology and driven by
ever-meandering velocities from the "A's" squirrelly AN/ASN-31 inertial, and
you'll get the idea.

We tried it one VMC night while approaching runway 24 at Whidbey. Until
that experience I never knew that the Earth rotated about Dugualla Bay. g

On the other hand, when the Q-61 and the inertial were both running "tight,"
Landing Mode was very useful for mining.

--
Mike Kanze

"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are
bringing about his rightful destruction."

- Lieutenant-Colonel Tim Collins, Royal Irish Battle Group, to his troops on
the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom

"Pechs1" wrote...

Old April 15th 04, 09:11 PM
John Carrier

To my knowledge, Lex had no needles. They certainly weren't there on my
initial night qual in the F-8.

R / John

Old April 16th 04, 01:13 AM
John R Weiss

"Mike Kanze" wrote...

Flying the needles reminds me of the A-6A's AN/ASQ-61 Landing Mode program.
Think of an ILS-type approach displayed through VDI symbology and driven by
ever-meandering velocities from the "A's" squirrelly AN/ASN-31 inertial, and
you'll get the idea.

We tried it one VMC night while approaching runway 24 at Whidbey. Until
that experience I never knew that the Earth rotated about Dugualla Bay. g

I've flown a few Landing Modes in the TRAM, but even then they were a bit
squirrelly without good offsets and a good Az- and El-Lock. All Whidbey BNs had
local offsets down pat, but it could get interesting at an unfamiliar field on a
dark night. Some BNs would use the Laser, but that was a no-no in many
places... ;-)

Old April 16th 04, 03:26 AM
Mike Kanze

John,

I've flown a few Landing Modes in the TRAM, but even then they were a bit

squirrelly without good offsets and a good Az- and El-Lock. All Whidbey BNs
had local offsets down pat, but it could get interesting at an unfamiliar
field on a dark night.

Good offsets and LOTS of updates were even more important with the very
primitive "A" systems. Unfortunately I never had the comparative pleasure
of operating the "E" system. "Es" were still wet dreams for the West Coast
B/Ns when I left the Rock in 1974.

--
Mike Kanze

"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are
bringing about his rightful destruction."

- Lieutenant-Colonel Tim Collins, Royal Irish Battle Group, to his troops on
the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Mike Kanze" wrote...

Old April 16th 04, 05:06 AM
vincent p. norris

Fighter pilots are not stupid, but, they occasionally may be
disoriented.

What about fighter pilots of the IJN? Did they become disoccidented?

Ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn n.

Yeah, but I'll bet you grinned!

vince

Old April 16th 04, 02:27 PM
Pechs1

John- To my knowledge, Lex had no needles. They certainly weren't there on
my
initial night qual in the F-8. BRBR

Night CQ on the Lex...in the F-8...yowser...I don't know this, as I should but
was the 'O' boat a 27C, ala Hancock?.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old April 16th 04, 02:40 PM
Paul Michael Brown

John R Weiss wrote:

I've flown a few Landing Modes in the TRAM, but even then they were a bit
squirrelly without good offsets and a good Az- and El-Lock. All Whidbey

BNs had
local offsets down pat, but it could get interesting at an unfamiliar

field on a
dark night. Some BNs would use the Laser, but that was a no-no in many
places.

How was the laser used to make landing easier in bad weather? Why was it a
"no-no in many places?"
Old April 16th 04, 04:11 PM
John Carrier

Yes it was indeed. IIRC, due to minor variations in design, O-boat offered
the most hook-to-ramp of the three ... a whopping 10.2 feet on a 4 degree
glideslope.

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
John- To my knowledge, Lex had no needles. They certainly weren't there

on
my
initial night qual in the F-8. BRBR

Night CQ on the Lex...in the F-8...yowser...I don't know this, as I should

but
was the 'O' boat a 27C, ala Hancock?.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Speech: A Question of Loyalty: Gen. Billy Mitchell Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 25th 04 09:30 PM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Phoenix AIM-54A (QUESTION) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 10 February 23rd 04 07:22 AM