EA-18G "Growler"

Old November 11th 05, 06:21 AM

Default EA-18G "Growler"

Even though it hasn't been fielded yet, the Navy is already eyeing
upgrades for the EA-18G.

See:

http://aviationnow.com/avnow/news/ch...s/JAM11095.xml

Old November 11th 05, 02:11 PM
John Carrier

There are limits to multirole capability. I still think the Rhino as tanker
is right up there with Alcoholic as bartender.

R / John

oups.com...

Old November 11th 05, 07:44 PM
Mike Kanze

John,

Yet another illustration of the point that, just because you can do it, it doesn't mean that it was a good idea to begin with.

Like hanging A/G rockets and gun pods on A-6s, among other follies.

--
Mike Kanze

"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."

- Terry Pratchett, "Moving Pictures"

"John Carrier" wrote in message ...
There are limits to multirole capability. I still think the Rhino as tanker
is right up there with Alcoholic as bartender.

R / John

oups.com...

Old November 12th 05, 12:45 AM

Mike Kanze wrote:
John,

Yet another illustration of the point that, just because you can do it, it doesn't mean that it was a good idea to begin with.

Like hanging A/G rockets and gun pods on A-6s, among other follies.

Or rocket pods on S-3A's. The lil flip up "sight" on the dashboard
consisted of a 1"x 6" piece of plexi with lines inscribed on it, but
since there was no corresponding mark on the windshield or allowance
for pilot height, the entire concept had less to do with accuracy and
more to do with a general feeling of futility. TLAR has been in use
for decades, and in the S-3, this continued on into the somewhat modern
era. I think the S-3 would have been the modern equiv of the TBD if
the balloon ever went up during the cold war out at sea. Can you
imagine VS-24 rolling in to attack a seriously defended anchorage, or
warship with an AAW capability? With rockets?? Gruesome...

v/r
Gordon

Old November 12th 05, 02:10 AM

What other options does the Navy have for a new carrier-based EW
aircraft?

The F-14's and S-3's aren't going to be around much longer. The
EA-6B's are old and getting older.

The JSF wouldn't be available in an EW version for a LONG time.
U(C)AV's won't be ready for a mission
like this for an even LONGER time.

It seems like an F/A-18-based solution is the only option left, unless
they want to rely on land-based
aircraft (EP-8?) for EW support.

Does the Navy have any better options than the Growler?

Old November 12th 05, 04:15 AM
John Weiss

wrote...

Does the Navy have any better options than the Growler?

Probably not...

However, that is solely because of the politics and economics of the Navy's
failure to open the bid for the airplane to fair competition. That trend
started with the F/A-18E/F, and continues. We continue to be saddled with a
marginally aerodynamically suitable airframe for air-to-ground weapons delivery,
a marginally fuel-[in]efficient fighter/fleet defense aircraft, and a
potentially marginally effective EW platform because of it.

Yep! It's fun to fly!

Nope! It never met the specs!

Old November 12th 05, 10:47 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

Whoa there, Mike... Ičll agree with you that the gun was a bad idea, but the
rockets worked just fine.

I shot a bunch on a MAARP det in fall 1991... somewhere in the vicinity of 5
sorties firing Zunis and 2.75 in every mode we could think of except General
Loft‹that seemed like a bad idea. Even handed them off to the B/N in the
chute for one hop.

The jet was good at it and we got great hits.

--Woody

Old November 12th 05, 05:29 PM
Mike Kanze

EA-18G "Growler"Woody,

Rockets are fun, I agree, but why burden Medium Attack (which had better things to do with its system) with a day-VMC mission when the SLUFs and the Bugs could do it as well / better?

BTW, I have four evil Commie bus hulks on the B-17 range complex at Fallon to my credit, denied to the enemy by FFAR strikes.

--
Mike Kanze

"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."

- Terry Pratchett, "Moving Pictures"

Whoa there, Mike... I'll agree with you that the gun was a bad idea, but the rockets worked just fine.

Old November 12th 05, 06:10 PM
C.D.Damron

"John Weiss" wrote in message
. ..

potentially marginally effective EW platform because of it.

What are your concerns and criticisms?

My father is in charge of the Growler program. I'd be interested in his

Old November 12th 05, 06:31 PM
Jim Carriere

C.D.Damron wrote:
"John Weiss" wrote in message
. ..

potentially marginally effective EW platform because of it.

What are your concerns and criticisms?

My father is in charge of the Growler program. I'd be interested in his

My interpretation of his criticisms is the typical litany of E/F
airframe-based complaints: short range, not as fast as the F-18C let
alone the F-14. Maybe a cliche sums it up, "Mr. Right Now" instead of
"Mr. Right."

Not that I agree or disagree. Tacair, acquisitions, and program
management are not my areas of expertise. My working knowledge of those
is Janes/History Channel level