Looking for a parachute rigger around New York City...

Old December 1st 15, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PAGA

Default Looking for a parachute rigger around New York City...

It's all in the title : having just bought this used National 425B (January 2001) which is in great condition but I would love to get it inspected and re-packed before carrying it on-board. This topic probably comes up often but I could not find it within the searches I tried here. If needed I can drive 100 miles in any directions from NYC.

Old December 1st 15, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2:58:21 PM UTC-5, PAGA wrote:
It's all in the title : having just bought this used National 425B (January 2001) which is in great condition but I would love to get it inspected and re-packed before carrying it on-board. This topic probably comes up often but I could not find it within the searches I tried here. If needed I can drive 100 miles in any directions from NYC.

Many of us from Blairstown use Sky's The Limit over at Stroudsburg. We sometimes fly them over in the 1-72 or one guy will drive a bunch of them over.. It's about a 30 minute one-way drive from Blairstown or 5 minute flight..

Erik Mann
Old December 1st 15, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2:58:21 PM UTC-5, PAGA wrote:
It's all in the title : having just bought this used National 425B (January 2001) which is in great condition but I would love to get it inspected and re-packed before carrying it on-board. This topic probably comes up often but I could not find it within the searches I tried here. If needed I can drive 100 miles in any directions from NYC.

Near Middletown NY- Jason Kainu 845-342-0488

UH
Old December 1st 15, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FWIW: National Parachute used to be located in Flemington, NJ although I see that the Web site shows them in Palenville, NY now: 75 miles as the crow flies from the GW Bridge. I had great success working with them in the past (in NJ) on a chute that had a National canopy and needed a little AD work plus repack. Haven't dealt with them in the new location or even to know if it's the same people. Since the other two posters are local, I assume they know more than I do about this and I'd trust their referrals.

You probably know this but I'll mention it because I've been the a 15 year old chute in great condition could last a long time if you take care of it. But finding a rigger to pack it after it reaches 20 years old can be difficult. From the National Parachute Manual (2014, for chutes manufactured after June 2009):

"The Parachute Industry Association (PIA) has visited this issue without conclusion to date. Until the PIA specifies otherwise, it is the recomendation (sic) of National Parachute that the maximum service life is 20 years from date of manufacture (this includes the harness, container and pilot chute)."

I've had riggers tell me an older chute is just fine (after pull testing it) and they repacked it without a problem. But I've also had numerous other riggers say "no, thanks", apparently because of insurance/liability considerations.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old December 2nd 15, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

National has moved from Flemington NJ...I've tried to contact them by e mail and by phone with no reply...

For repack and inspect...this is on their website:

JAN., 2013 "New Service Location"
The "Inspection-Repack-Service" location has moved from Flemington. Please note new location below and contact directly:

High Time Skydiving Ent.,
804 Harleysville Pike, Suite 201,
Rt 113 & Schlosser Rd,
Harleysville, PA 19438
PH: 610-442-7500
Marc Nadeau
E-mail:
Old December 2nd 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 7:41:29 PM UTC-5, Cookie wrote:
National has moved from Flemington NJ...I've tried to contact them by e mail and by phone with no reply...

For repack and inspect...this is on their website:

I've used National Parachute, Sky Dive Sussex, and Pennsylvania Parachute, for repack...all with good service...Sometimes I take the chute in person and drop it off..pick up later..but I've also just shipped it...A few extra $$$ for shipping..but less of my time gas money and hassle...

Cookie