OSH

Old July 23rd 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Default OSH

Any birds get dinged today?

Big John
Old July 23rd 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

Pretty quite day from an accident stand-point, a few minor ground
mishaps. Over-all traffic counts were healthy, but I don't have
specific figures. I flew in from my home-base outside of Madison, WI
and skated in without any problems at all. Straight up to Ripon, up to
Fisk, then straight into Rwy 9. Last year I was in that big hold over
Green Lake that received alot of press, and this was infinitely
easier.

There were a few dimwits on the radio, a Canadian Mooney M20 calling
up the tower from the east side of Lake Winnabago asking to be let in,
the controllers were much too accommodating and got him in rather than
sending him all the way around to Ripon. Although someone did chime in
on the radio "READ THE NOTAM!" which made me laugh. And I saw another
dim-wit try to land on 27 while ops were all on 9. I have no idea
where he came from until he flew over my head. Guys were scattering
everywhere going around.

Despite all the angst that alot of people have, flying into OSH for
the show is alot of fun!

I haven't met up with the other R.A.P crowd however.

Enjoy, come on up to the show!

Ryan Wubben
Co-Chairman, EAA Flight Line Operations

Old July 23rd 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Ryan

There always seem to be some accidents with the large group that
comes to OSH.

Last year the War Bird that taxied over a little plane on taxi way.
Year before, as I recall, the Hughes Racer bird crashed on way home to
west coast.

Every time we had a 'gathering' of aircraft in AAC/USAF we lost at
least one, mostly going home. Maybe get home i'tis????

In any event, have a good show and be careful around Jays's operations
in the parking area ) He was loaded out on trip up so be sure he
either takes off at midnight when air coolest or ships the stuff he
picks up home via USPS or Fed-X or someone driving.

I just turned 86 last month and doubt if I will make it before I meet
my maker. Can't really tell though. If I get there and they put me in
Angle School I may be able to fly in on my Angle Wings )

Enjoy.

Big John
***************************************

Old July 27th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Big John" wrote in message ...
[...]

We were camping 'on the line', row 76 in vintage aircraft camping. Front row seats to the big show. Amazing mix of all
sorts of aircraft, and I only saw (and heard) a few dumb pilot tricks while there. A Luscombe ended up on it's back
Wednesday alongside 36L, but I am pretty sure all were OK. Rumor had it that it was blown over by something bigger, but
I suspect it was a problem during takeoff (gusty left cross wind).

No where near the issues during arrival that we had last year, and flying out was easy also. We flew back home
yesterday. Had to pick our way through towering cumulus (the 'ol 172 is not IFR certified), but it was quick.

Old July 28th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

What I heard is that the Luscombe was taxying and hit the brakes too
hard and went over on its back. No one was hurt, it occurred at slow
speed on a taxyway.

-Ryan

Old July 28th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_1_]

A T-6 landed on US 41 on the 22nd, the luscombe that nosed over, a
highwing that landed too hard and collapsed its gear, and the 2 mustangs
that collided resulting in 1 death. One of them may have been a
scratchbuilt P51A.

Working the flightline saturday, I saw one cessna bank nearly 90 degrees
on landing approach for 9 before he finally went around. There was a 90
degree crosswind from the north at the time, and I think they sent him
around to 36. Or told him to get lost, I'm not sure which.

Old July 28th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"John T" wrote in message ...
A T-6 landed on US 41 on the 22nd, the luscombe that nosed over, a highwing that landed too hard and collapsed its
gear, and the 2 mustangs that collided resulting in 1 death. One of them may have been a scratchbuilt P51A.

Working the flightline saturday, I saw one cessna bank nearly 90 degrees on landing approach for 9 before he finally
went around. There was a 90 degree crosswind from the north at the time, and I think they sent him around to 36. Or
told him to get lost, I'm not sure which.

I saw that Cessna. We were coming back from the Aldi store and waiting for the bus at the N40. Looked like there was
another one landing, and I'm sure the controller said something, but it sure was wobbling around, full flaps hanging and
banking back and forth. It didn't look good, but somehow it did pull out and go around. I was watching for it but never
did see where it ended up...

Old July 29th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_1_]

I kept an eye on it, last I saw, it was heading s-s/e, as if it were
going to make a right pattern for 36.

Old July 29th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

On Jul 22, 9:40 pm, Big John wrote:
Any birds get dinged today?

Big John

The Post Crescent has a pretty good selection of news stories relating
to the mishaps at Oshkosh this past week. Even some that didn't make
it into the mainstream of the local press.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbc...0101/307310003

Look at the stories at the lower half of the page.

Old July 29th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

Wednesday night close to field closing time, a Mooney flew up the west
side of the field, tower asked him something, his response was, "I don't
know what I am doing."