Pattern work - Video

Old March 19th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Pattern work - Video

Been 8 years since I did short field or soft field takeoffs so figured
to see if I could even do these.type of takeoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMJfFeKYZCM

7:30 minute video in which you will endure 10 takeoffs of which 1 soft
field take off and 2 short field takeoffs, Eight landings (could say 9
as I "bounced one" in, 2 low approaches over the runway,

Comments most appreciated on improving my technique!!!
Old March 20th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Mar 19, 7:31*pm, Clark wrote:
" wrote in news:9dfff6ee-cf41-4224-b682-
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMJfFeKYZCM

Well, it appears the aircraft is reusable...that's always a good
thing...looked like a lot of corrections on first few approaches but it
settled down.

About the only advise I could offer would be to not wait 8 years before doing
some pattern work again. Well that and aim for the 1,000 foot markers. I know
that's one of those "things" but it makes sense to me to aim down the runway
a ways when there's plenty of room available.

Actually I do pattern work quite frequently, touch and goes that is,
what I don't do is the take off techniques. I almost felt out of my
element!

Yeah, I tend to aim closer to the numbers then the aim points even
with longer runways. Easier for me and much less braking for me to
make mid field turn off by "rolling out" then landing on the 1000 foot
markers.

I really appreciate this kind of feedback!!
Old March 20th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Mar 20, 10:08*am, Clark wrote:

At least from the video several folks have the opportunity to comment. If a
guy just takes an instructor along then all he gets is one person's opinion
(good, bad, or indifferent).

Very true, thus me sharing. I know opinions will vary from one end of
the spectrum to the other and it really is nice to hear both ends.

I'm thinkin' that recording the GPS tracks from my instrument training
flights would be a good debrief tool. Wonder if any of the moving map
aviation software would do that? Hmmmm.

What about Flight Aware or FBO Web? If not the web, I have Map
Source program that came with my handheld Garmin 296 that will do what
you ask above.
Old March 20th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Mar 19, 9:41*pm, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Mar 19, 7:31*pm, Clark wrote:

[...]

May I suggest you should plan your touchdown with the turn-off you
want to use in mind? There's nothing like being on short final behind
a 152 that touched down on the numbers and is now taxiing up the
runway to the first turn off that's half a mile away.

Perfect sel landings, in my opinion, are touch downs so that neither
throttle or brakes to make the turnoff you want. Oh, and of course to
leave the airplane in a reusable condition, too (had not heard that
comment before, but be assured, I'll be repeating it at every
opportunity).
Old March 20th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Mar 20, 5:54*pm, a wrote:

Perfect sel landings, *in my opinion, are *touch downs so that neither
throttle or brakes to make the turnoff you want. Oh, and of course to
leave the airplane in a reusable condition, too (had not heard that
comment before, but be assured, I'll be repeating it at every
opportunity).

Absolutely agree A. And if there were people in the pattern with me,
I wouldn't be doing these shenanigans.

If I know a transient is coming in, I have exited the pattern, do a
360 to re-join so he can get in front. If I know somebody needs to
get out, I just extend downwind for 17 (can't do that for 3) at my
airport because of the inner core of KJAN Charlie). After all, I am
just practicing, and I am in no hurry, so why not be a good neighbor.

Especially at controlled airports, I try to adjust my landing to where
I need to turn off. It's faster to fly then to taxi, so why not fly
as far as I can.

Though, not quite that good in my spot landings to roll out to my
turn :-))) sans brakes....

And yes, gear intact after landing always makes for a good ending LOL
Old March 21st 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"BeechSundowner" wrote 2Especially at controlled airports, I
try to adjust my landing to where
I need to turn off. It's faster to fly then to taxi, so why not fly
as far as I can.

Though, not quite that good in my spot landings to roll out to my
turn :-))) sans brakes....

And yes, gear intact after landing always makes for a good ending LOL
There is another choice, too.

You can practice getting down to flare height, then adding power to hold that
altitude, and fly down the runway, and then bring power back to finish the
landing.

That is a trick that is useful at OSH, when the controller changes your
touchdown point further down the runway, and he tells you to fly down the
runway. Really, they do that all the time! g
--
Jim in NC

Old March 21st 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Mar 20, 7:04*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

You can practice getting down to flare height, then adding power to hold that
altitude, and fly down the runway, and then bring power back to finish the
landing.

That is a trick that is useful at OSH, when the controller changes your
touchdown point further down the runway, and he tells you to fly down the
runway. *Really, they do that all the time! g

Ahh, that proverbial slow flight over the runway trick that every
instructor should teach their student as an advanced lesson :-)
Absolutely agree Jim.

Airplane doesn't care if it's at the practice area altitude or 2 feet
above the runway. Even got ground effect to help keep you aloft if
you play your cards right!

Pattern for IFR Mxsmanic Instrument Flight Rules 8 September 9th 08 03:37 PM
C-182 pattern help SilkB Piloting 16 September 15th 06 10:55 PM
Right of Way in the pattern? Kingfish Piloting 12 August 11th 06 10:52 AM
The Pattern is Full! Jay Honeck Piloting 3 January 10th 06 04:06 AM
Crowded Pattern Michael 182 Piloting 7 October 8th 05 03:02 PM