Tuning up FS9

Old September 13th 03, 02:49 AM
Dan Moos

Default Tuning up FS9

Ok, I have the following system.

Athlon XP2000
384 megs of RAM (DDR 266)
GEForce 4 MX

I'm mostly curious what features I can dial down for the greatest effect. I
know having lots of AI traffic doesn't help, but what else really is a
system hog.

Also, what single upgrade to the above system would be most useful. I say
single, because I am a real life pilot, and thus perpetually broke

Old September 13th 03, 05:07 PM
Toke H. Olesen

Adding some RAM will help. Usually, at least 512 MB is needed for acceptable
performance.

Happy flying, Toke H.

Old September 14th 03, 08:41 PM
Byron Miller

For you, your best bet would be a faster DX9 Video Card.

Sell the Geforce 4 MX on Ebay and get a Radeon Card.

The Absolute BEST in performance:

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simp...7712&ad=pwatch

ATI Radeon 9800 128 Meg for $192

Or for something that is being improved, but not the best for DX Games:

http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_v...=1072&showit=1

Gainward Ultra/760 GeForce FX5600 128MB 8X Retail $132.00

I'd spend the extra 60 and get the ATI Radeon because it is ONE mean card!

Just make sure you have visited http://windowsupdate.mirosoft.com and
downloaded all the updates - including all DX9 updates.

If you want to tweak your current system, do the windows update and then
grab the latest nvidia driver from http://www.nvidia.com

--
-byron

// Totalsimulation.com // Flight Sim Resources!

Old September 14th 03, 09:18 PM
John Hall

Ditto on the ATI Radeon 9800 non pro. Best bang for the buck. You might
also be able to reflash the bios to make it a 9800 pro. The non pro is the
same as the pro except for a bios that underclocks the card, and MAYBE
slower ram. You just have to try to overclock to pro speeds to check to
see.

Also more ram would help. Try for 512 megs or more.

JK