Vertical Card Compass?

Old April 2nd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Vertical Card Compass?

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:
"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:32:03 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

I had one (PAI) in my Bo 36 for four years with nary a glitch. The
installer, IR, mentioned removing ALL magnetic interference during the
install.
In order to remove all magnetic interference in my old Mooney, I would
have
to rewire quite a bit, as well as degauss. The estimate to have this
done
about fifteen years ago was well over $4,000. (Degaussing would only
work
for a week or two). A compass with a remote sensor was a much more
economical solution.

What's the deal with Mooney's? Does it make radio installs more touchy?

Mooneys have a steel "roll cage" around the cabin. The only complaint I've
ever heard about radio installs in Mooneys is the cramped space. I've
heard stories about the steel becoming magnetized, particularly as a
result of a lightning strike, but I don't have any personal experience,
and not looking for any.

Just curious...thanks.