Landing KJAN with ATC Communications - Video

Old October 23rd 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Landing KJAN with ATC Communications - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ccc0lWMis

First crack at this.

Comments most welcomed here or on the video to improving these type of
videos.

Still want to work on the sound levels to simulate the actual sound
levels. Engine level a touch lower then in the actual plane. Minor
balancing act :-)
Old October 23rd 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article
,
" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ccc0lWMis

First crack at this.

Comments most welcomed here or on the video to improving these type of
videos.

Still want to work on the sound levels to simulate the actual sound
levels. Engine level a touch lower then in the actual plane. Minor
balancing act :-)

Alan,
How did you input the audio on this video?
Old October 23rd 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Oct 22, 10:06*pm, John Smith wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ccc0lWMis

First crack at this.

Comments most welcomed here or on the video to improving these type of
videos.

Still want to work on the sound levels to simulate the actual sound
levels. *Engine level a touch lower then in the actual plane. *Minor
balancing act :-)

Alan,
How did you input the audio on this video?

Hey John,

Not quite sure where you mean input, so bear with me.

In the plane, I bought a patch cord that attaches to the planes
intercom system and the audio recorder attaches to the patch cord.
This is how I capture the audio in the plane.

In the movie, to insert the audio, I exported the audio recording from
the recorder into a .mp3 format and then in Windows Media player added
it the "audio line"

After doing that, I found the original engine noise was louder then
needed, so I lowered the volume on that and then in the audio line of
Windows Movie maker I upped the volume a touch so the audio would be a
little clearer.

I used a program called Wavepad to splice out quite a bit of COMS
since they were outside the video parameters. The audio is "realtime"
within the video, I did not cut any gaps out. In the audio portion
(cut out of the video) I said out loud "camera on" when I knew I
wanted to find where in the audio the camera was running for
synchronization purposes.
Old October 24th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article
,
" wrote:

How did you input the audio on this video?

Not quite sure where you mean input, so bear with me.
In the plane, I bought a patch cord that attaches to the planes
intercom system and the audio recorder attaches to the patch cord.
This is how I capture the audio in the plane.

That's what I was looking for. What are you using for an audio recorder?
What is the recording media?

In the movie, to insert the audio, I exported the audio recording from
the recorder into a .mp3 format and then in Windows Media player added
it the "audio line"

After doing that, I found the original engine noise was louder then
needed, so I lowered the volume on that and then in the audio line of
Windows Movie maker I upped the volume a touch so the audio would be a
little clearer.

Are you capturing the engine audio separate from the COMM input?

I used a program called Wavepad to splice out quite a bit of COMS
since they were outside the video parameters. The audio is "realtime"
within the video, I did not cut any gaps out. In the audio portion
(cut out of the video) I said out loud "camera on" when I knew I
wanted to find where in the audio the camera was running for
synchronization purposes.

I will have to give Wavepad a try on my Windows machine. I have Audacity
on my Mac.

I have a Canon XH-A1 and will be getting a refurbished
Canon HV-20 as a second camera/rewinder/playback machine next week. The
HV-20 will be much more useful for inflight recording.
Old October 24th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Oct 23, 10:37*pm, John Smith wrote:

That's what I was looking for. What are you using for an audio recorder?
What is the recording media?

Sony model (not home with the exact model) that costed $50. I guess
the unit has a flash drive method of storage as I don't insert a tape
or anything.

Are you capturing the engine audio separate from the COMM input?

Yes, through the camera external microphone. Camera still sits on
glareshield propped by a notebook binder with my charts and has no
wires attached to it.

I will have to give Wavepad a try on my Windows machine. I have Audacity
on my Mac.

I have not really messed with any other programs other then Wavepad
since it's worked for me from get go.

I have a Canon XH-A1 and will be getting a refurbished
Canon HV-20 as a second camera/rewinder/playback machine next week. The
HV-20 will be much more useful for inflight recording.

I am keeping "setup time" to a minimum. I want to go fly, and while
keeping a video journal of my adventures, I don't want that setup time
to be of significant time. This is the main reason I have not looked
into a "real video recorder".

The way I have it now, no extra time is invested.