Just checking in...how's everyone been?

Old November 21st 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Just checking in...how's everyone been?

So I've been contacted by half a dozen folks, telling me that my absence was
the topic of a rather lively thread here -- so I thought I'd pop in for a
peek at my old stomping ground. How's everyone been?

No, we're not dead. On September 4th, after over ten years of daily
postings on these groups, I joined the ranks of "former RAPpers" by
quitting, cold turkey. Nothing specific precipitated my departure -- it was
just a long, slow, gradual culmination of many things. The signal to noise
ratio here had deteriorated to such a level that no number of killfiles
could do the job -- and what was left after culling the herd of trolls was
pathetically small. Pilots of America called to me, warts and all, so I
jumped in with both feet and haven't looked back....

.....until now.

It's been a lively few months. Martin (if you're still out there) we made
it to Munich for Oktoberfest, where I turned 50 years old by partying with 4
million of my closest friends. We drank beer with Croats, Austrians,
Germans, Brits, Irish, Italians, and (of course) Germans, and had a
wonderful time. Man, my Bavarian kin certainly lived up to their advanced
billing -- it was the Mother of All Parties.

While we were there, we took a day trip up the autobahn to Salzburg, in your
beloved Austria, and were in awe of the place. There's something humbling
about eating in a restaurant that has been continuously in business for over
EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS. It sure puts everything in perspective! And, of
course, sitting in the church where Mozart was baptized was a magical
experience.

We even hooked up with this group's own Markus (largely a lurker, from
Germany, whom we've met at Sun N Fun and Oshkosh) while we were there. He
met us in Munich and gave us the chance to go "off-tour" with a native -- a
real treat after being trapped in buses and cabs. We visited Dachau with
him, both the concentration camp and the city, and marveled at man's
capacity for cruelty -- and beauty.

Since then, Mary and I have been doing lots of flying, both in the Ercoupe
and the Pathfinder, with trips to Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, and
Minnesota. We've also developed a lively email group made up of many former
members of this group. We email daily, sometimes a dozen or more times --
so it's kinda like the way this group used to be, back in "the day"...
It's funny/sad -- none of us would have ever met each other without this
group -- a group that taught us all so much -- yet none of us still visit
here.

Businesswise, things are just like you might expect -- sloooow. The wheels
came off our local economy the very day that Congress announced the $800
billion bailout plan, and hasn't recovered since. It's like the entire
business community let out a collective gasp, and all business travel
ceased, virtually overnight. Scary stuff.

Luckily, this comes after a record-busting year for us, so we are perhaps
better able to absorb a business slow down. Not so with several of our
business neighbors -- we've lost three nearby restaurants in just the last
month, as they were unable to weather the sudden loss of business.

Our son is first year Army ROTC, doing well, flying when he can. He's still
jazzed by all the attention he received for flying into Oshkosh this year,
but college is keeping him busier than ever. Our daughter should start
flight lessons next spring -- so we're keeping the aviation ball rolling!

I hope everyone here is healthy, happy, and well. I'll hang around long
enough to see if anyone I know responds to this -- but mostly you can catch
me over on Pilots of America, a wonderful, moderated group of aviation
enthusiasts.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John E. Carty

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Good to see you haven't fallen off the map Jay. I started a thread upon
returning to the groups about what had happened to you and many other of the
good people that used to post here, and man what a response I got! I've been
doing some island flying since we moved back to Hawaii, and man is it good
to be back on island and back in the air :-)

Old November 21st 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Good to see you haven't fallen off the map Jay. I started a thread upon
returning to the groups about what had happened to you and many other of
the good people that used to post here, and man what a response I got!
I've been doing some island flying since we moved back to Hawaii, and man
is it good to be back on island and back in the air :-)

Hey, John -- wow, Hawaii sure sounds good right now. Let's see...it's 22
degrees outside, with a Westerly wind at 12. Brrrrr....too cold for
November!

I just re-read my post, and realized that I forgot to include the link to
our Oktoberfest trip pix. Not much aviation there -- but for those who are
ever considering making the pilgrimage to the "Mother of all Beer Bashes",
here ya go:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/trip_to_germany.htm

It makes our annual Fly-In Pool Party look like a tea party, for sure!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 20, 7:53*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
So I've been contacted by half a dozen folks, telling me that my absence was
the topic of a rather lively thread here -- so I thought I'd pop in for a
peek at my old stomping ground. *How's everyone been?

Good to see you pop in Jay.

All is good here in the deep south.

Great time of the year to fly both VFR and IFR. If you get a chance,
pop in on my You Tube channel and check out my latest videos.

Feel free to share with the POA forum if you find them worthy.

Allen
Old November 21st 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John E. Carty

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Good to see you haven't fallen off the map Jay. I started a thread upon
returning to the groups about what had happened to you and many other of
the good people that used to post here, and man what a response I got!
I've been doing some island flying since we moved back to Hawaii, and man
is it good to be back on island and back in the air :-)

Hey, John -- wow, Hawaii sure sounds good right now. Let's see...it's 22
degrees outside, with a Westerly wind at 12. Brrrrr....too cold for
November!

Kinda cold here too, only 80 degrees at five in the evening with a SE wind
at 9! ;-)

Old November 21st 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Nov 20, 9:16*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Hi Jay;

Good to hear from you. Glad the POA forum worked out for you.
Drop me a line back channel if you like. We've formed a small email
loop of selected pilots from the forums who exchange emails once in a
while just to chew the fat and enjoy the no hassle environment.
Dudley

Old November 21st 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_19_]

Hey Jay!

Still lots of noise here, but the occassional nugget surfaces..

I am mostly on the Cherokee chat tho.

Cheers!

Dave

Old November 21st 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

[...]

Yes, control. that is what you need.

Fjukkkwit.

Bertie

Old November 21st 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

[...]

Great aviation poast there, spammer.

Bertie
Old November 21st 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Great time of the year to fly both VFR and IFR. If you get a chance,
pop in on my You Tube channel and check out my latest videos.

Will do, Allen!

Ah, to be "Down South" this time of year. It's 12 degrees outside this
morning here in sunny Iowa!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA