antenna identification

Old December 24th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default antenna identification

Does anyone know of a site that shows the common types and locations of
airplane antennas? It seems like this would exist somewhere, but I've
yet to find the right combination of keywords to find anything with Google.

Matt
Old December 24th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

I have found NAV/COMM antennas are generally located at the rear of the
aircraft, about two feet in length. DME frequency is about 10 times
higher, so the antenna is 10 times smaller. Due to higher losses at
these frequencies, they are generally located near the front of the
fuselage. Most of the ones I have seen are shaped like a shark fin, but
I have also seen small stubby ones an inch or two in length. The ELT
antenna is easy to identify because it will be close to the ELT, and it
is shaped like a generic whip antenna. GPS antennas are also small
because of their high frequency of operation. They may look like a flat
disk, or a cone. Many GPS antennas have the manufacturer's logo on
them, so they are easy to identify. The marker beacon antenna looks
like a boat at the bottom fuselage, but I am sure there are other
variants. Glideslope antennas I have seen are shaped like shark fin,
V-shaped, or a horizontal wire inside the cockpit above the windshield.
If you look through any avionics catalog, I am sure you will find the
large variations of antennas out there.

Old December 24th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Matt Whiting wrote:
Does anyone know of a site that shows the common types and locations of
airplane antennas? It seems like this would exist somewhere, but I've
yet to find the right combination of keywords to find anything with Google.

Didja try with "avionics antenna" ... and check manufacturer sites?
Have to read for locations, though:

http://www.avionix.com/antennas.html

Cheers, Kev

Old December 24th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Com antennae are aligned vertically. Nav antennae (vor reception) are
aligned horizontally. This is because the com antennae on the ground is
aligned vertically and the nav antennae on the ground is aligned
horizontally. So called "polarization".

Old December 24th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:
I did a Kitplanes article about four years ago on just this subject.

I've kept all of my old issues so I should be able to find it. I'm just
brushing up for the commercial oral and figure this is a likely
question. I'm going to take a picture of our club plane and identify
them all, but I thought maybe someone had already done that and posted a
picture somewhere.

Cheers,
Matt
Old December 24th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:

I did a Kitplanes article about four years ago on just this subject.

Jim,

Is this the one?

28) Aero 'Lectrics: Here's a homebuilder's primer on aircraft antennas,
Feb., p. 85. - (Feb 1 2001)

Now to find the hardcopy... :-)

Matt

Old December 29th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:

I did a Kitplanes article about four years ago on just this subject.

Jim,

Is this the one?

28) Aero 'Lectrics: Here's a homebuilder's primer on aircraft antennas,
Feb., p. 85. - (Feb 1 2001)

Now to find the hardcopy... :-)

Matt

Jim, my archives only go back to May 2001 (man, I got close!). Is your
article available online or is buying a back issue of Kitplanes the only
option?

Matt
Old December 29th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

I have an electronic file of every article I've ever written, which means
that I went all the way back to AOPA August '77 and scanned in the article I
wrote about the TSOd Pencil on the IBM Selectric all the way to April 2007's
digital pictures with the new Canon camera. In between there are Radio
Shack Model II Scripsit articles I ported via RS232 to the IBM DOS
WordPerfect, then finally to Windoze and MS Word.

The ONLY one I'm missing is Feb 2001, but I'll make you a deal. Somehow get
a valid email addy to me and I'll scan it and send you scanned PDF files.
Howzat? (Is the a good address?)

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM