Skagit Tulip Festival Fly-In 4-25-09 Batch 7 - PZL-104 BVS 4-25-09 02.jpg

Old June 17th 09, 10:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

Default Skagit Tulip Festival Fly-In 4-25-09 Batch 7 - PZL-104 BVS 4-25-09 02.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PZL-104  BVS  4-25-09  02.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	35817
Old June 17th 09, 02:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

It seem strange to paint a Wilga with WW-II German markings. The world's oldest Wilga was built in 1962. I believe Warszawa-Okecie is still building them.

The glider tow hook is standard equipment. In the US the Wilga is certified capable of launching and towing three glider at a time.

A Wilga landed at the Nampa, ID airport on 9/11 and I took a few pictures.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Guest_Photos/Wilga.htm

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old June 18th 09, 08:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:11:19 -0600, "Wayne Paul"
wrote:

It seem strange to paint a Wilga with WW-II German markings. The world's oldest Wilga was built in 1962. I believe Warszawa-Okecie is still building them.

This one is unregistered and in need of some air in the tires. A
couple years back, someone who appeared connected to it tried to tell
me it was "a version of the Fi-156 Storch".

One just nods politely and walks away...

Maybe it was used in a movie.

The glider tow hook is standard equipment. In the US the Wilga is certified capable of launching and towing three glider at a time.

A Wilga landed at the Nampa, ID airport on 9/11 and I took a few pictures.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Guest_Photos/Wilga.htm

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Nice. I think I've seen this one in the deep and distant past.

Bob ^,,^
Old June 18th 09, 03:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Bob,

I remember seeing a picture that identified the Wilga as a Fi-156 Storch a year, or so, ago.

It is a shame that it isn't registered. As a tow plane it would fetch a good price.

The one that landed in Nampa on 9/11 was on its' way from the Portland, OR area to a new owner in Louisiana. Due to the Wilga's small fuel tanks, it was going to be a looong trip.

I have a attached a couple pictures of Wilgas towing gliders.

wrote:

[...]

Name:	Wilga_3_Gliders.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	35929  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilga_and_Jantar.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	35930
Old June 19th 09, 11:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:00:39 -0600, "Wayne Paul"
wrote:

Bob,

I remember seeing a picture that identified the Wilga as a Fi-156 Storch a year, or so, ago.

It is a shame that it isn't registered. As a tow plane it would fetch a good price.

I seem to recall it was for sale.

The one that landed in Nampa on 9/11 was on its' way from the Portland, OR area to a new owner in Louisiana. Due to the Wilga's small fuel tanks, it was going to be a looong trip.

....or ~lots~ of short trips...

I have a attached a couple pictures of Wilgas towing gliders.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

That several gliders at once thing just seems like asking for
trouble... ?

Old June 19th 09, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:00:39 -0600, "Wayne Paul"
wrote:

.....Snip...

The one that landed in Nampa on 9/11 was on its' way from the Portland, OR area to a new owner in Louisiana. Due to the Wilga's small fuel tanks, it was going to be a looong trip.

...or ~lots~ of short trips...

He had four 5 gal cans in the back seat in case he needed to land where fuel wasn't available.

I have a attached a couple pictures of Wilgas towing gliders.

....Snip...

That several gliders at once thing just seems like asking for
trouble... ?

Multiple glider launches are fairly rare here in the US. When it does occur it is usually only two gliders each having a different length rope. The short rope takes of first and moves off to the side before the second lifts off.

In other parts of the world multiple launches are very common due to their cost effectiveness. I remember flying a low-level route in France in 1965. We popped up over a ridge and right in front of us on the windward side of the ridge was a tow plane with three gliders. We took evasive actions, the three glider released and did likewise.

If I remember correctly three troupe gliders behind a DC-3 was the WWII norm.

More then three gliders gets very complex and I believe aren't authorized in the US. However, there are those elsewhere who try to set new glider tow records. I think the current record is nine. (See attached photo.) The launch was filmed and has been posted on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAdIkB5rbgo

BTW, I have been enjoying the Skagit Tulip Festival Fly-in series. Just the name brings back fond memories of the years spent at NAS Whidbey Island.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	35964
Old June 20th 09, 12:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:20:58 -0600, "Wayne Paul"
wrote:

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message ...

...Snip...

[...]

Thanks for the kind words.

I've seen that nine-plane video and felt a mix of sincere admiration
for the pilots' skill and a desire to ask if I could have their
stereos...

Bob ^,,^