Some more positive GA News

Old January 31st 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Some more positive GA News

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...=2008801280321

Our local newspaper is doing a great job of helping us to promote GA. After
years of being anti-airport, it's a wonderful thing to see.

Now all we need to do is clone this kid, and GA's future is secure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote
Our local newspaper is doing a great job of helping us to promote GA.

After
years of being anti-airport, it's a wonderful thing to see.

Now all we need to do is clone this kid, and GA's future is secure.

I don't know about that. We just scrapped a business trip via GA due to
cost differential - going GA would have been $1,300 just in fuel, via the
airlines the same two people could go for $500 total and not have to worry
about potential delays due to winter weather.

It has always been the case for us that airline travel was cheaper than
travel by GA, but in the past we could justify the differential due to
convenience and traveling on our own schedule. The gap is getting so wide
now that it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify anymore.

GA obviously won't die, but its rising costs are going to limit its use as a
practical alternative to the airlines, and this will certainly impact the
smaller airports and FBOs.

BDS

Old January 31st 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:47:58 GMT, "BDS" wrote in
:

"Jay Honeck" wrote
Our local newspaper is doing a great job of helping us to promote GA.

After
years of being anti-airport, it's a wonderful thing to see.

Now all we need to do is clone this kid, and GA's future is secure.

I don't know about that. We just scrapped a business trip via GA due to
cost differential - going GA would have been $1,300 just in fuel, via the
airlines the same two people could go for $500 total and not have to worry
about potential delays due to winter weather.

Perhaps if you had been able amortize the cost of that flight over
four seats instead of two (as is possible in the PA28-235/6) it might
have worked out better.

It has always been the case for us that airline travel was cheaper than
travel by GA, but in the past we could justify the differential due to
convenience and traveling on our own schedule. The gap is getting so wide
now that it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify anymore.

I hope you're not intimating that airline travel is getting easier for
passengers. Given the security indignity and delay, and other airline
delays, the cost of GA travel is becoming more attractive, IMO.

GA obviously won't die, but its rising costs are going to limit its use as a
practical alternative to the airlines, and this will certainly impact the
smaller airports and FBOs.

BDS

The cost of everything is going up all the time. The government
printing presses are working non-stop. This influx of new paper
dilutes the value of the dollar, but the VALUE of the goods it will
purchase is unaffected, so prices rise while the purchasing power of
the dollar declines.

Old January 31st 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

The cost of everything is going up all the time.

This is good stuff.

Bertie
Old January 31st 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Larry Dighera" wrote
I don't know about that. We just scrapped a business trip via GA due to
cost differential - going GA would have been $1,300 just in fuel, via the
airlines the same two people could go for $500 total and not have to

worry
about potential delays due to winter weather.

Perhaps if you had been able amortize the cost of that flight over
four seats instead of two (as is possible in the PA28-235/6) it might
have worked out better.

We have six seats as well (light twin), but only two people needed to go on
this trip which is typical of most of our trips (1 or 2 people). We have
considered getting a fast single, but we also occasionally need the
load-carrying capacity, room, and speed of a light twin.

It has always been the case for us that airline travel was cheaper than
travel by GA, but in the past we could justify the differential due to
convenience and traveling on our own schedule. The gap is getting so

wide
now that it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify anymore.

I hope you're not intimating that airline travel is getting easier for
passengers. Given the security indignity and delay, and other airline
delays, the cost of GA travel is becoming more attractive, IMO.

No, you're right - airline travel is certainly not getting easier and I
agree that those issues are worth something, just not $800 in direct costs
in the case of this trip.

We do have trips that involve bringing delicate test equipment or
transporting our products for demos, and in those cases going via airlines
is impractical or out of the question entirely in the post-9/11 environment.
Those trips are just not the norm anymore.

BDS

Old January 31st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 30, 8:31*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...=2008801280321

Our local newspaper is doing a great job of helping us to promote GA. *After
years of being anti-airport, it's a wonderful thing to see.

Now all we need to do is clone this kid, and GA's future is secure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,

What turned the paper around? Any tips for others who need to get
local editorial support?

John
Old January 31st 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Feb 1, 6:39*am, "BDS" wrote:
"Larry Dighera" wrote

I don't know about that. *We just scrapped a business trip via GA due to
cost differential - going GA would have been $1,300 just in fuel, via the
airlines the same two people could go for $500 total and not have to

worry
about potential delays due to winter weather.

Perhaps if you had been able amortize the cost of that flight over
four seats instead of two (as is possible in the PA28-235/6) it might
have worked out better.

We have six seats as well (light twin), but only two people needed to go on
this trip which is typical of most of our trips (1 or 2 people). *We have
considered getting a fast single, but we also occasionally need the
load-carrying capacity, room, and speed of a light twin.

It might be that using a modern fast single can meet 90% of your needs
and will save a lot on fuel while not giving up much speed. If you
need more seats and cargo, fly two planes :-)

Cheers
Old February 1st 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

What turned the paper around? Any tips for others who need to get
local editorial support?

Endless repetition, and persistence. If you keep saying good stuff about
your airport to people long enough, they will hear it and believe it. It's
the only way to counter the NIMBYs and noise-nazis.

I can't tell you how many people I have told about our airport. I can't
tell you how many times I've mentioned that our airport brings in $5.7
million into our local economy every year, for the annual expenditure of
just $110,000. I started our airport user's group, Friends of Iowa City
Airport, back in 2003, and our email updates have been a very effective
conduit of information to local reporters, several of whom are FOICA
members.

As some here have accused me of, I do my best to promote aviation at every
possible opportunity. Some here mistake that as being self-promotion for my
son or for my hotel, but I'm here to tell you that (a) my son couldn't care
less about this newsgroup, and (b) if we never had another pilot from this
group stay at our hotel, ever, it would not make a detectable impact on our
bottom line.

Am I an inveterate aviation promoter? You bet. And I *do* promote aviation
for selfish reasons -- just not the ones that some people believe. Rather,
I do it so I'll have a place to park my plane, I'll have runways to use, and
FBOs to service my plane. Longer term, I want my kids to have GA when they
grow up -- and the only way I know how to do this is to keep trumpeting the
GA gospel.

And I'm not alone. We've got a good, proactive Airport Commission, a good,
proactive FBO, and a number of very good, influential airport users who are
excellent ambassadors for local aviation.

All of this, working in concert over time, has made a difference -- but it's
been a long haul. It takes patience, persistence, and a strong stomach.

And the knowledge that it can all go to pot with the next city council
election...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

As some here have accused me of, I do my best to promote aviation at
every possible opportunity. Some here mistake that as being
self-promotion for my son or for my hotel, but I'm here to tell you
that (a) my son couldn't care less about this newsgroup, and (b) if we
never had another pilot from this group stay at our hotel, ever, it
would not make a detectable impact on our bottom line.

Is that the Marseleise I can hear playing in the background?

Vive Iowa!

Vive Jay!

Bertie
Old February 2nd 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

We have six seats as well (light twin), but only two people needed to go
on
this trip which is typical of most of our trips (1 or 2 people). We have
considered getting a fast single, but we also occasionally need the
load-carrying capacity, room, and speed of a light twin.

Sadly, light twins have nearly become economically unfeasible for anything
but multi-engine training. Between acquisition, fuel, and maintenance
expenses, they've been driven to near extinction.

The new plane market and resale values reflect that. A friend of mine owns
a beautiful Aerostar that has lost 50% of its value in just the last few
years. Every time fuel goes up, the price of twins go down.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA