Verification that Heated Pitot is working

Old October 19th 05, 07:20 PM
iflycozy

Default Verification that Heated Pitot is working

Question to you electrical designer gurus:

Here is what I would like to do and Jim Wier suggested that I post this
here. I want an indicator on my Cozy homebuilt airplane to show me
that my heated pitot is actually working when I turn on the switch on
the instrument panel. So, the light will go out (with the switch still
in the on position) if the heated pitot stops working for some reasons
(but not because it tripped the circuit breaker). So, how can I build
such a device or circuit? I would appreciate specific parts or
identification of parts as I am an amateur. This is a 12 volt DC
system and the heating element draws 7 amps. I know I can not use a
LED in series because it would blow the milli-second I turned the unit
on. I know I can't use a light or lamp in parallel because it would
not indicate if the heated pitot was on or off. So that is my dilemma.
Please help.

Reply to:

Old October 19th 05, 07:43 PM
John

iflycozy wrote:

[...]

Possible thermister bonded to the pitot with a second one insulated from it
but with basically the same air flow over it. Use a differential opamp to
measure the difference of output from each thermister use the opamp to
drive a simple transister amp to drive a led or lamp. I'm at work so I
can't look up specific parts and you'd need to do some testing anyway.
John

Old October 19th 05, 08:33 PM
Richard Isakson

"iflycozy" wrote ...
I want an indicator on my Cozy homebuilt airplane to show me
that my heated pitot is actually working when I turn on the switch on
the instrument panel.

The answer is easy, you just look at the ammeter. If it jumps when you turn
on the switch, the heater works.

The far more important question is: why would anyone fly a cozy into icing
conditions? Disturbing the airflow over a canard with ice is just asking
for controllability problems.

Rich

Old October 19th 05, 08:48 PM
RST Engineering

The parts you will need are a 10 amp silicon diode, a 10 kilohm quarter watt
resistor, a small PNP transistor, a LED of the appropriate color, and a 470
ohm quarter watt resistor. All these parts are available from Mouser
Electronics, DigiKey Electronics, and the rest of the usual suspects.

The silicon (NOT schottky, plain silicon) diode goes in series with the wire
going to the pitot, anode to switch, cathode to pitot. THe diode will
probably require a heat sink.

THe emitter of the PNP transistor goes directly to the anode of the diode.

One lead of the 10K resistor goes to the cathode of the diode. THe other
lead of the resistor goes to the base of the transistor.

One lead of the 470 ohm resistor goes to the collector of the PNP
transistor. The other lead of the resistor goes to the anode of the LED.
The cathode of the LED goes to airframe ground.

HOW IT WORKS: When the pitot switch is turned on, 7 amps through the diode
will result in about 1 volt drop across the diode. A PNP transistor turns on
with 0.5 volts from base to emitter, so the transistor will turn on through
the 10K current limiting resistor. When the transistor turns on, it flows
current through the 470 ohm current limiting resistor to the LED.

If the pitot heater fails there will not be any significant voltage drop
across the diode and the PNP transistor will not turn on and the LED will
not light.

If you can't find a suitable 10 amp diode, a 0.1 ohm 10 watt resistor will
do the same job and will probably be cheaper. In either case, I suspect
that the pitot heater will be more reliable than the diode OR the resistor,
so a false heater-out alarm will be the predominant failure mode.

Be careful where you mount the diode or the resistor. Under normal
operating conditions, they will get hotter than hell.

Jim

ups.com...

Old October 19th 05, 09:36 PM
Richard Lamb

Ok, as Devils Advocate, why do you think you need a heated pitot
in the first place?

Are you Instrument Management Certified?
Will the airplane be instrument certified?
Are you _really_ going to fly a _canard_ in icing conditions?
Without De-Icing systems on the canard (and possibly wings too?)\

Sounds iffy to me...

Richard

Old October 19th 05, 09:44 PM
Dave S

Richard Isakson wrote:

The far more important question is: why would anyone fly a cozy into icing
conditions? Disturbing the airflow over a canard with ice is just asking
for controllability problems.

Rich

Why would you have a heated pitot on a Cessna 172 or a piper arrow then?
Neither of THEM are certified for entry into known icing conditions, but
its nice to have the ability to safely fly OUT of them if you get INTO them.

Dave

Old October 19th 05, 09:45 PM
Richard Lamb

Hi Jim,

Question..

Why put the diode in series with the pitot heater power.
(Ok, it senses that power if flowing in the heater circuit, but is that
necessary?)

Couldn't the same thing be accomplished by using the diode as a
temperture
sensor (thermometer) to decide if the pitot tube was above a certain
temperature?

No self-heating on the part of the sense diode, and no pitot heat
failure if the diode
opens up (burns up?).

Richard

Old October 19th 05, 09:54 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Richard Lamb wrote:
Ok, as Devils Advocate, why do you think you need a heated pitot
in the first place?

Are you Instrument Management Certified?
Will the airplane be instrument certified?
Are you _really_ going to fly a _canard_ in icing conditions?
Without De-Icing systems on the canard (and possibly wings too?)\

Sounds iffy to me...

Richard

Maybe he wants to add it instead of installing more important systems
like cup holders.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Air Force Working to Combat Stressors Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 18th 04 03:54 AM
Air Force Museum Working Group to release final report Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 18th 03 12:28 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Owning 10 November 6th 03 09:54 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Piloting 10 November 6th 03 09:54 AM
Chuck Yeager-pitot tube Ron Military Aviation 44 October 9th 03 03:13 AM