Google Earth for in flight Planning?

Old August 13th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Google Earth for in flight Planning?

steve writes:

One of my IFR instructors said another student prints out google earth
images of the route he is going to fly, to particularly look for landmarks
in unfamiliar routes and emergency landing site possibilities.

Why not just look at a chart? They're made specifically for that purpose.
And if you hit something, telling the FAA you used Google Earth for flight
planning instead of a chart isn't going to go over very well.
Old August 13th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Aug 14, 12:41 am, terry wrote:

I think you misread the post. I use the google earth image to
familiarise myself with the route and the look of the destination
airfield in particular before the flight, not as a substitute for a
navigation chart. I also use it to check runway orientation which
is information not always readily available on unlicensed airstrips in
Australia.

I've noticed on our Google Earth they've included topdressing
airstrips (in the correct locations)
Getting to where you just find the strip lat/long dial the location
into a GPS and go straight there..

Old August 14th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 05:41:47 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

I use the google earth image to
familiarise myself with the route and the look of the destination
airfield in particular before the flight, not as a substitute for a
navigation chart.

Yes, same here. Pace the poster to whom you were replying, I think
that Google Earth is actually more informative than a sectional chart.
For example, for entering an extended base leg for a new runway (ie, a
runway I'd never before landed on), I was able on GE to locate a
church steeple to set up the leg.

As posted, I also like to "re-fly" flights, both for my own pleasure
and to share them with long-suffering family members.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old August 14th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky Stevens

wrote:
I use the google earth image to
familiarise myself with the route and the look of the destination
airfield in particular before the flight, not as a substitute for a
navigation chart.

Yes, same here. Pace the poster to whom you were replying, I think
that Google Earth is actually more informative than a sectional chart.
For example, for entering an extended base leg for a new runway (ie, a
runway I'd never before landed on), I was able on GE to locate a
church steeple to set up the leg.

As posted, I also like to "re-fly" flights, both for my own pleasure
and to share them with long-suffering family members.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com

Some people who use MSFS use data from Google maps to draw the terrain
below. It would be crappy from a 3D point of view, but I wonder if it
would be a good way to practice pilotage for an unfamiliar area?

http://fsearth.fsutil.com/
http://www.elbiah.de/flusi/MyFsGoogl...oogleEarth.htm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tileproxy/

Old August 20th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
beachbum38

On Aug 13, 2:22 am, "steve" wrote:
One of my IFR instructors said another student prints out google earth
images of the route he is going to fly, to particularly look for landmarks
in unfamiliar routes and emergency landing site possibilities.

I personally haven't used it."terry" wrote in message

I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

Terry
PPL Downunder

I'm studying for my private helicopter license and used Google Earth
to make snapshots of landmarks for my cross-country solo. It really
helped especially because I was able to simulate the cockpit view
including the proper altitude.
I'm also a programmer and want to dig into Google Earth to figure out
how to automate the process, allowing direct input of airports or
coordinates, altitude and distance between waypoints. I just wish
someone had done it already. It will have to wait until I get my
license though.

Marty
Student pilot, South Florida