Mxs wins.

Old October 23rd 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Mxs wins.

Well, I'm going to take a break from this group for a while. The signal to
noise level is so high, and the volume of junk so large, it takes too much time
and annoys me.

That's just silly, Jim. You make skipping a thread sound like changing
the transmission in your van at OSH! (Oh, wait, you've done THAT
already... ;-)

Honestly, computers have made us SO lazy. Whenever the computer takes
a while to download a file, we like to yell out "Dang it -- just LOOK
at this thing! I don't have all MINUTE!" Our expectations of speed
and results versus time expended have become absurdly unrealistic.

Skipping a thread -- or marking it "read" -- takes a second. I'm
unable to do even that using these stupid Google Groups (which I'm
stuck using at the hotel), but I don't find it difficult to simply not
read dumb threads.

There's a lot of value here, and you're one of the more level-headed
aviators in the group. Start some good threads, instead of leaving,
dang it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 23rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Jay Honeck" writes:

[...] Skipping a thread -- or marking it "read" -- takes a second.
[...]

Yes, but on an ongoing basis, every such a second is an aggrevating
waste. It drains the joy (such as it is) of participating.

It would be better if all those who actively enable msxmanic, by
answering his unbelievably lazy and uninformed questions, were to sit
back and stay quiet unless their replies are witty or informative
enough for the bulk of the audience.

There's a lot of value here, and you're one of the more level-headed
aviators in the group. Start some good threads, instead of leaving,
dang it!

Sometimes, ostracism of harmful elements (and their enablers!) can do
more-long term good. Technical translation? Get your news-reader
software to score down not just the dumbest of threads, but every
person who participates in them.

- FChE
Old October 23rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Howard Nelson wrote:
NewsProxy as an add-on to Outlook Express.

I googled NewsProxy . Couldn't find a decent link. Any link to this program?

http://www.nfilter.org/download.html

NewsProxy used to be called nfilter. That's why there might be some confusion.
I'm using version 1.2.0 and don't have any problems. I can't testify for the
beta version.

If you find the documentation daunting (frankly, I found it sucks), email me
your phone number and we can cut right to the chase in about five minutes. I
was lucky enough to have somebody in the rec.woodworking NG help me when I
started; it's not what I'd call intuitive. YMMV.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 23rd 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

flyin_coyote wrote:
Don't hurry back. Its a public forum not your personnel newsgroup. If you
don't like it you should leave and find one that fits your needs. Maybe you
can start alt.rec.corncobupmyass.pilot.

I will go back to just lurking again. I just felt compelled to say that. You
can go and correct my grammer now. I am sure I made a million mistakes.

Your grammar is acceptable but your spelling and punctuation suck. I just felt
compelled to say that. Have a nice day.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 23rd 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

uninformed questions

Yeah, I hate it when someone askes a question and doesn't already know
the answer. I don't know very much but they seem reasonable questions
for his experience level. Sorry beginners bother you.

Sometimes, ostracism of ...snip... their enablers!)

That would be me.

person who participates in them.

That would be this thread, that would be you, welcome to the club!

John

Old October 23rd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

The Visitor wrote:
Yeah, I hate it when someone askes a question and doesn't already know
the answer. I don't know very much but they seem reasonable questions
for his experience level. Sorry beginners bother you.

He claims to have flown sims for 15 years. That hardly makes him a beginner; it
makes him a troll.

Old October 23rd 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

He claims to have flown sims for 15 years. That hardly makes him a beginner; it
makes him a troll.

I'm not sticking up for him, or going to bash him. I wuold guess he is a
real keener. There are kids growing up in my neighbourhood that have
been flying sims since they could play on the computer. When they are 20
something they will be able to make the same claim also. And thier level
of questions will increase with their curisity and experience.

I just wish he would sign a name every now and then. Even just a first
name would be nice. It's like talking to somebody wearing a hood.

I would guess he is a 20 something student. What is amazing is he is
still so fascinated by flying sims.

I try not to judge people. A long time ago I was maybe 14, I sold an
antenna to somebody, via a second party. Talking with the first party on
2m, he had all kinds of frustrating problems installing it. Then wanted
his money back. Well I gave it to him and my frustration was more than
obvious to all on the frequency. Somebody interjected and mentioned to
me, on the telephone this person is a white caner. Not knowing even that
had to be spelled out for me. He got his money back, the antenna was
fine actually just installed poorly, and I don't know how or who he got
to go up and down this tower of his. But I sure felt stupid and still do
30+ years later. Sorry Stan.

So I'm patient. And perhaps one day he will take to a real plane. Or a
full motion simulator.

It seems to me he is talking about piloting even if he does apply it to
a sim. I don't. And he does pose questions many doorknobs with licenses
should be thinking about. And if I don't like the thread, I move on.

Some feel he is too much a beginner to be here. Some here look like real
beginners to me. And that's fine with me. Funniest of all; the maturity
level of a person whom is compelled to post "plonk" or simiar
sentiments. Second place goes to self appointed herd leaders.

Can't everybody get along, do it for the children.

John

Old October 23rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
rps

flyin_coyote wrote:
Don't hurry back. Its a public forum not your personnel newsgroup. If you
don't like it you should leave and find one that fits your needs. Maybe you

You're right that the newsgroups are public fora. However, when they
were started, people were supposed to abide by each newsgroup's
charter, though there would be no one to police such activity except
each forum's own contributors. The charters for the rec.aviation
newsgroups can be found at
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aviation/faq/preamble.html.

According to the charter for the rec.aviation newsgroups,
rec.aviation.piloting is for "general discussion for aviators."
According to Merriam-Webster, an aviator is "the operator or pilot of
an aircraft and especially an airplane." MXS doesn't appear to be an
aviator, at least by this definition. Many of his questions are more
appropriate for other newsgroups. For example, many of his postings
are probably more appropriate for the rec.aviation.simulators or
rec.aviation.student newsgroups.

This newsgroup has certainly deteriorated in the (nearly) decade that
I've been reading it (using this and other email addresses). If people
used the most appropriate newsgroups for their postings, the value of
the newsgroups increases for everyone. If people post blindly to
whichever newsgroup is most convenient or will provoke the most
reaction, the newsgroups lose value for us all. Sadly, it has lost
value for at least one of our contributors.

Old October 23rd 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Jim:

Tired of MXS? Then just killfile him. I'll read the first
couple posts then killfile the thread, because by that time,
it's disintegrated into noise.

Old October 23rd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

rps wrote:
This newsgroup has certainly deteriorated in the (nearly) decade that
I've been reading it (using this and other email addresses). If people
used the most appropriate newsgroups for their postings, the value of
the newsgroups increases for everyone. If people post blindly to
whichever newsgroup is most convenient or will provoke the most
reaction, the newsgroups lose value for us all. Sadly, it has lost
value for at least one of our contributors.

A decade. Hm...that's when they started selling computers at
the grocery store. Pick your color and price, no need to read the
back of the box for the instructions. And the bag boy/girl will even
carry it out to the car for you.

Have you notice how many of the big box computer stores even have
grocery carts now?