Dittel or Becker?

Old September 17th 15, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David MacVeigh

Default Dittel or Becker?

I'd like to hear reasons for and against the purchase of Dittel or Becker transceiver for my Libelle.
suggestions?

In the running are Becker AR 6201-022, AR 6201-122 and Dittel KRT 2 Gen.2.

All info greatly appreciated
Old September 17th 15, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:24:54 PM UTC-7, David MacVeigh wrote:
I'd like to hear reasons for and against the purchase of Dittel or Becker transceiver for my Libelle.
suggestions?

In the running are Becker AR 6201-022, AR 6201-122 and Dittel KRT 2 Gen.2.

All info greatly appreciated

Wait a few months for the new Air-Avionics, should be ready by December.
Old September 17th 15, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

The Dittel seems to be a reasonable device at an extremly good price. We have started installing them in our club gliders and are satisfied sofar. Wiring and configuration are error prone, but if you get it right everything works as expected. I have had problems with saving frequencies (it seemd to be buggy sometimes) but this is probably fixed in later firmware versions and I solved the problem for myself by maintaining an excel based frequency list which can be uploaded via a serial interface. Support by Dittel is rumored to be very good, always happy to give advice and short turnaround times on repairs. On the other hand a friend of mine recently complained about sending his radio in the third time in three years. It seems that especially the early models were not yet mature. My experience sofar is limited to the first generation KRT-2.

I don't have as much experience with the Becker, but I am sure it's the better choice if price is not an issue.

You should also think about the Trig. It seems to have the best user interface.

Personally I am also waiting for the air avionics. Unfortunatly the last I heard it most probably won't be ready in time for next season. EASA approval has yet to start and will probably take some time. This information is based on second hand rumors, so I may be mistaken.
Old September 17th 15, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 19:24:48 -0700, David MacVeigh wrote:

I'd like to hear reasons for and against the purchase of Dittel or
Becker transceiver for my Libelle.
suggestions?

In the running are Becker AR 6201-022, AR 6201-122 and Dittel KRT 2
Gen.2.

I'm coming to the end of my second season of using a KRT2 in my Libelle.
The KRT2 replaced an ATR-500 (upgrade for 8.33 channel spacing reasons)
and, apart from an initial fault which was repaired promptly (same radio
returned after a firmware upgrade - it still had my frequencies in it)
has been trouble-free ever since.

I find its dual frequency listening feature very useful due to nearby
USAF bases and a fairly busy civil airport (biz-jets and training
traffic).

I can't really comment on power usage because I carry 2 x 7Ah SLA (stood
on end in the standard battery compartment with a custom lid that doubles
as a mount for my EW Microrecorder, held in place with extended hold-down
screws.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 17th 15, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The first 8.33kHz-radios we bought in our club were KRT2's. After a season, we replaced them with 6201's since many club members found them to be much easier to use. The KRT2 has a comparatively complex menu structure which low-time pilots struggled with.

The Trig radio is also easy to use, but it does not highlight the active frequency like the Becker does.

The Air-Avionics radio is cheaper and even easier to use than the Becker 6201, but there's no release date yet. It's still in certification process. There's a pre-order option for EUR1.399 incl. VAT.
Old September 17th 15, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 9:24:54 PM UTC-5, David MacVeigh wrote:
I'd like to hear reasons for and against the purchase of Dittel or Becker transceiver for my Libelle.
suggestions?

In the running are Becker AR 6201-022, AR 6201-122 and Dittel KRT 2 Gen.2..

All info greatly appreciated

Depends very much on where you live, David. In Europe you'll have to spring for the 8.33 kHz radios that are now mandated. If in the US, you can actually cheaply buy one of the older 25 kHz spaced radios that the Europeans discard. Dittel or Becker doesn't really make a difference.
Old September 17th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:24:54 PM UTC-7, David MacVeigh wrote:
I'd like to hear reasons for and against the purchase of Dittel or Becker transceiver for my Libelle.
suggestions?

In the running are Becker AR 6201-022, AR 6201-122 and Dittel KRT 2 Gen.2.

All info greatly appreciated

David,

If you are in the US. Trig Ty91. It is available in stock and support is excellent. Price is competitive.

http://www.craggyaero.com/trig.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old September 17th 15, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 10:34:20 AM UTC+1, wrote:
The first 8.33kHz-radios we bought in our club were KRT2's. After a season, we replaced them with 6201's since many club members found them to be much easier to use. The KRT2 has a comparatively complex menu structure which low-time pilots struggled with.

The Trig radio is also easy to use, but it does not highlight the active frequency like the Becker does.

The Air-Avionics radio is cheaper and even easier to use than the Becker 6201, but there's no release date yet. It's still in certification process. There's a pre-order option for EUR1.399 incl. VAT.

I find the KRT2 radio seems to give very clear transmission and reception. On my early firmware model the memory frequency input is a little buggy in that it sometimes takes a couple of goes to get digits to stick. I could send it off for an update but having got it set up there is no need.

Once you have set the relevant local frequencies in the memory I am not sure how frequency selection could be simpler. I would happily buy another - especially now that there is a new model with a colour display and a low profile version.
Old September 17th 15, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In terms of sound quality, current draw and overall reliability the Walter Dittel radios of every generation seem to be a little better than the last three generations of Beckers I've dealt with. We have a number of both makes in the club and private gliders at my field. None of them are 8.33 models though.

We have one Peiker boom microphone installed on a club ship. It's decent quality in terms of how rugged it is and how well it stays where you put it but it's a definite step below the quality of the Becker and Dittel boom microphones in that regard. As far as I can tell the Trig isn't compatible with the Becker and Dittel microphones so the Peiker is the one that Cumulus Soaring offers with that radio.

The Air Avionics one looks interesting but I have a personal rule about never buying anything in it's first iteration and that has worked out well in the past when it comes to avoiding aggravation. Once it's proven it could be a good choice especially if you want to have a Mode-S transponder and have limited panel space.
Old September 19th 15, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Friday, 18 September 2015 01:09:11 UTC+3, wrote:

The Air Avionics one looks interesting but I have a personal rule about never buying anything in it's first iteration and that has worked out well in the past when it comes to avoiding aggravation. Once it's proven it could be a good choice especially if you want to have a Mode-S transponder and have limited panel space.

That's basically sound advice, but I've received excellent after-sales support from Air Avionics, including very fast firmware updates. First BF Varios can be user-updated to latest standard, the hardware has not changed. Most likely it's the same with Air Com.

Becker & Headsets Bob 7U Soaring 7 January 11th 10 02:03 AM
Dittel FSG 50 in Dittel base station [email protected] Soaring 2 February 18th 09 09:15 AM
Dittel FSG 50 in Dittel base station, Perfect for crews and FBO [email protected] Soaring 1 February 18th 09 09:15 AM
Problems with Becker [email protected] Soaring 6 August 26th 05 09:33 AM
Microair vs Becker Ian McPhee Soaring 0 August 30th 03 09:45 PM