Dust Devil Dash Results?

Old September 13th 15, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Dust Devil Dash Results?

Anyone know how the pilots flying the Dust Devil Dash did today?
Old September 14th 15, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Preliminary results as of 558pm Sun 09/13

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/u8dzj6p5rx9...TED.pdf?d l=0
Old September 15th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Looks like I landed the farthest away from Tehachapi, at Susanville. But Ramy had an easy glide to Susanville when he turned around, and if he had chosen to press on, I'm sure he could have gone even farther.

We launched 1,2 and found a decent climb that eventually got us high enough to head north, Until a bit north of Kernville, we marked thermals for each other, but then got separated when Ramy managed to get, and stay high over the Sierra crest. I squeaked across just south of Lone Pine, then it was a nice run north to Mammoth where I decided to stay a bit farther east as I crossed over Potato Peak, then east of Swee****er and to some clouds in the valley west of the Pine Nuts. From there I tried to connect with clouds SE of Reno, but didn't so worked ridges farther east, then about 15 SE of Air Sailing I got high enough to clear the ridge and get on the west side and commit to that airport before finding the last climb of the day to take me from 7K to over 15K for a long smooth glide to Susanville.

On landing I was met by a couple who thought I was the glider that had just launched 5-10 minutes earlier (Truckee air retreive) and they helped me secure the plane and gave me ride in to the hotel.

My crew Karen and Wyant arrived around 9pm, so we got a good night's sleep for the long drive home. Sunday was overcast and dreary with several rain showers from south of Minden to Bishop. Visibility in smoke never got better than maybe 20 miles but often less than 10. Finally got out of the smoke around Lone Pine.

5Z
Old September 15th 15, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 7:02:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Well done, Tom! And thank you for the report!

Steve Leonard
(Last place in the 2015 Kowbell Klassic. The role model for the Dust Devil Dash)
Old September 15th 15, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Thank you for sharing the story of your flight! Enjoyed reading it.
Old September 15th 15, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Way to go Tom! Long Live Free Distance!!
Old September 15th 15, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Nice job, Tom. Too bad about the smoke (and fires!) spoiling the
visibility in such wonderful soaring country. Say "Hi" to Karen for me.

Dan

Old September 17th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Congrats Tom... I followed your IGC file along with Ramy. Below is a discussion with 1km Satellite movie and other comments.

____________________________________

I've collected some nice GOES 1km Visible imagery movie loops and HRRR model high resolution soaring data. Planning on publishing more detailed model analysis information and annotations within the next week.

Satellite Movies North and South segments:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/m1rak4doyo2...50912.mp4?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/j5biubqb54o...50912.mp4?dl=0

The TP database is version 1.1 of Jim Staniforth's SW 2015 file. The last five frames show the label names... otherwise just '+' symbols so as not to clutter up the picture.

NOTE regarding video viewers. It works fine with the Windows Media Player. Apple's Windows Quick Time player also worked well with the additional advantage of being able to single step with cursor keys. The VLC player required Direct X acceleration on my Windows 7 system. But, once that was changed in 'Options', one can single step frames with the 'E' key, start/pause with the space bar, or drag the video marker to the end to see label names. VLC also has a nice snapshot feature for grabbing just one frame.

MY COMMENTS ON THE SOARING WEATHER

Obviously, it was a weaker and more difficult day getting out of the Tehachapi Valley. The most important part of my briefing was the comment about "....staying well West of the normal course line..." to work the convergence pushed west by the 15kt southeasterly flow. When you see the HRRR model convergence graphics it dramatically shows the optimum path due north from West Tehachapi Valley up into the Kern River Canyon:

Chart Convergence Lines (Purple) 80 meter agl wind vectors HRRR Model Valid 1pm PDT

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/w91ne9vpgl5...PD T.jpg?dl=0

Chart Thermal Heights (see color bar at top) feet msl and 80 meter agl wind vectors Valid 1pm PDT

https://DL.dropbox.com/s/sr0vspme3rg... PDT.jpg?dl=0

Notice the convergence zone extending due north from the west end Tehachapi Valley to the lee of the Paiute Mtns (north of Flying S Ranch). Then convergence on ridges either side of Kern River Valley canyon. On the thermal heights page... first 17-18k msl thermal heights near the Waypoint "Needles" which is where Tom Serkowski and Terry Honikman/Thorsten got the first good altitudes. Thermals heights W end of Tehachapi Valley and West of the Paiute Mtns are indicated 13-14k msl... but in fact were much lower... probably only 10-11k msl.

Here's my take on why it was far weaker that my briefing indicated. The prevailing SE flow 8-15k msl 13-18kts advected in a more stable (subtropical) airmass thereby modifying the sounding profile, so that developing thermals were slower to "erode" into the free atmosphere layer. the normal "thermal hotspots" on peaks was not working. Instead, you had to move downwind and find the lee convergence areas... or locate thermals in the shear line. My flight, WX, launching at 1:10pm, allowed a climb just NW of MVA at 1500agl.... eventually working to 11k msl over Golden Hills.

The HRRR model soundings, closest of which was Mojave, did show slower than normal ramping up of the thermal layer... only to about 10kmsl by noon. But, I mistakenly ignored that clue... and assumed that the mountain tops would trigger faster. But, the HRRR model was clearly too aggressive in developing the thermal layer. Version one of this model operational at NOAA is known to be too hot... by 1-2degC developing thermal layers too high. The next Version 2 (which is already viewable experimentally) has reduced this dry hot bias. Unfortunatley, I am unable to view the soaring information from that experimental model. It will go operational over the winter and be ready for next soaring season.

So much for my excuses...

Great flight everbody.. especially for those who "Went West" to follow the convergence. Sorry, Kathy... your Libelle just didn't quite make it to the first convergence lee mtn thermals west of the Paiute's!

Walt Rogers WX
Old September 19th 15, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Final Results a

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/9l8gkccjjr9...TATED.pdf?dl=0

For those of you who have not seen this yet, find below two links to the television coverage of this year's Dust Devil Dash from two local stations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbeT0Zjtl-Q

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/l...327152271.html

Also for your viewing pleasure is this video made of the 2014 Dust Devil Dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhKbwEeuhP0

You are welcome to share any or all of this information with other sailplane pilots or others who might be interested.

It was a great Dash this year. Hope to see everyone in 2016.

Tnx,

Rob Morgan CD