LS1-f neo

Old March 8th 17, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default LS1-f neo

tiistai 7. maaliskuuta 2017 19.18.18 UTC+2 Martin Gregorie kirjoitti:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 08:50:47 -0800, krasw wrote:

On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 17:10:00 UTC+2, wrote:
Think of how popular the World Class would have been if the LS-1 and
Std. Cirrus had been selected and updated like this. Would have saved a
bunch of development cost.

What you decribe is called club class.

No, he meant 'World Class' - the class that heaved & strained and laid
the PW-5 egg.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Last IGC decided to make electric self-launch capability compulsory for 13.5m class, so PW-5 is without competition class in future. Historical moment? Sorry OT, but since discussion veered to DG tax we are OT anyway.
Old March 8th 17, 10:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 01:08:36 -0800, krasw wrote:

Last IGC decided to make electric self-launch capability compulsory for
13.5m class,

So, who will be first to fit a FES to a PW-5?

Doesn't this make the World Class into a defunct, historic curiosity
since it has effectively been replaced by the 13.5m class?

Historical moment?

Definitely!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 8th 17, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

keskiviikko 8. maaliskuuta 2017 13.02.36 UTC+2 Martin Gregorie kirjoitti:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 01:08:36 -0800, krasw wrote:

Last IGC decided to make electric self-launch capability compulsory for
13.5m class,

So, who will be first to fit a FES to a PW-5?

Doesn't this make the World Class into a defunct, historic curiosity
since it has effectively been replaced by the 13.5m class?

Historical moment?

Definitely!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

Thinking of PW-5 nose ground clearance, fitting FES would make a rather expensive lawnmower. But isn't there a UK company that is in the process of fitting not only jet but ELECTRIC engine driving wheels of glider that has PW-5 wings? And no, I believe IGC did not have this in mind when deciding on "electrical self launching" capability.
Old March 8th 17, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 03:28:19 -0800, krasw wrote:

Thinking of PW-5 nose ground clearance, fitting FES would make a rather
expensive lawnmower.

True enough - my excuse is that its years since I've seen one.

But isn't there a UK company that is in the process
of fitting not only jet but ELECTRIC engine driving wheels of glider
that has PW-5 wings? And no, I believe IGC did not have this in mind
when deciding on "electrical self launching" capability.

I remember seeing adverts and articles about that, again some time back
and nothing recently, so I can only assume that the project imploded.
IIRC the guy behind it was at one time the UK AC-4 agent: doesn't have a
lot of luck, does he?

Thinking about the AC-4M, I wonder if would it be possible to electrify
one by replacing its pop-up IC engine and fuel tank with a brushless
motor and battery. Even of possible, I suspect it would be left in the
dust behind the current 13.5m electric self-launchers, so a fun project
if ultimately futile.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 8th 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

http://www.proairsport.com/news.php

Old March 8th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 08:46:56 -0800, Dan Daly wrote:

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 8:11:00 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 03:28:19 -0800, krasw wrote:

Thinking of PW-5 nose ground clearance, fitting FES would make a
rather expensive lawnmower.

True enough - my excuse is that its years since I've seen one.

But isn't there a UK company that is in the process of fitting not
only jet but ELECTRIC engine driving wheels of glider that has PW-5
wings? And no, I believe IGC did not have this in mind when deciding
on "electrical self launching" capability.

http://www.proairsport.com/news.php

Good to see its still progressing. Some dimensions and performance
estimates would be nice.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 8th 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 16:46:58 UTC, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 8:11:00 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 03:28:19 -0800, krasw wrote:

Thinking of PW-5 nose ground clearance, fitting FES would make a rather
expensive lawnmower.

True enough - my excuse is that its years since I've seen one.

But isn't there a UK company that is in the process
of fitting not only jet but ELECTRIC engine driving wheels of glider
that has PW-5 wings? And no, I believe IGC did not have this in mind
when deciding on "electrical self launching" capability.

http://www.proairsport.com/news.php

The company was wound up in a solvent liquidation, having failed to raise sufficient funds to complete the project. I believe the main director is attempting to resuscitate the project. It would have been the cheapest self launching glider by far, at the expense of considerably less good glide performance than the Silent or other newer 13.5 m gliders.
Old August 9th 17, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bojack J4

Doubt they'd develop new 18m tips. The "neo" winglets are all designed to replace the "flying nun" 15m wingtips on the LS-8, and evidently other 15m LS gliders including the '6? (But not the '10 which already has modified flying nun winglets)
The 18m tips on LS6c really were added to the 15m wings as an afterthought to the formerly successful LS6 racing wing to support a self-launcher version, which never was marketed.

Old August 9th 17, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 6:20:52 AM UTC-5, Bojack J4 wrote:
The 18m tips on LS6c really were added to the 15m wings as an afterthought
to the formerly successful LS6 racing wing to support a self-launcher
version, which never was marketed.

Perhaps you are referring to the LS-9 motor-glider (which I have seen)?
It has a nice tailwheel-in-rudder like later Antares and ArcusM.

See ya, Dave
Old August 9th 17, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Upgrading an LS6c from 17.5m to 18m-WL tips is possible (https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/downlo...32/TM6032.pdf). You can check with Stefan Göldner from DG about the economics.