New - Taifun 17E Motorglider group

Old September 28th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New - Taifun 17E Motorglider group

For anyone interested in the Taifun 17E motorglider, there is a new
discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Taifun17E/

The Valentin Taifun 17E is a motorglider (or self-launching sailplane).
It has 2 seats, side by side, a 17m (56 ft) wingspan, retractable gear,
flaps and spoilers. It has a nose-mounted Limbach motor of either 80hp
or 90hp, driving a feathering prop. Factory specifications show a best
glide of 29:1 and a thermaling speed of 49-52 kts. Performance is said
to be comparable to the Ximango and in the same general class as the
Diamond Katana/Xtreme, Grob 109 and Pipistrel Sinus.

Anyone who owns, flies, or has a general interest in the Taifun should
come on over and visit!

Old September 28th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I guess sometimes the lines between motorglider and self-launch sailplane
get blurred (thank you Dr. Stemme :c). However, I'd consider the Taifun,
Carat, Grob 109, etc, as motorgliders or touring motorgliders. Generally
their L/D might be 25 to 35 or thereabouts.

The ASH26E, DG-808B etc (those with propellers on pylons that hide away
after launch to leave what looks like a "pure glider" behind, fall more into
the category of "self-launch". L/D can be as much as 50 or more.

The Stemme does both, possessing the excellent power and ground handling
capabilities of the best touring motorgliders, along with the soaring
performance of a good self-launcher. The Stemme can do things I wouldn't
attempt in my ASH26E. Of course this capability comes at a price - - both in
Euros and in systems complexity.

Opinions?
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Quit Vent kit and MKII "high tech" Yaw String

ups.com...

Old September 28th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

In Germany & Switzerland, we have a clear distinction between touring
motorgligers (TMG) and powered sailplanes through the licenses which are
required to fly either of them.
For a powered glider (turbo or selflauncher) you need an additional entry in
your glider license, for a TMG you need a TMG license.
You can't fly a TMG with a glider license, or a powered sailplane with a TMG
license.

The LBA maintains a list of models with their attributions to one or the
other group. The main criterion is whether the aircraft can be reasonably
used for crouise under power (TMG) or if the power plant is optimized for
climb only (DG, Ventus, Nimbus, ASH,...)
The Stemme is the only aircraft with decent soaring capabilities which has
been classified TMG.

"bumper" wrote in message
[...]

ups.com...

Old September 28th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

bumper wrote:
The Stemme can do things I wouldn't
attempt in my ASH26E. Of course this capability comes at a price - - both in
Euros and in systems complexity.

I've always been curious why you changed from Stemme to ASH26E. I'd
assumed it may have been a progressive conversion from being an
airplane pilot to being a glider pilot.

What can the Stemme do that the ASH26E can't? (excluding the obvious
like taking a skinny passenger)

Andy

Old September 29th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Andy" wrote in message
ps.com...

I've always been curious why you changed from Stemme to ASH26E. I'd
assumed it may have been a progressive conversion from being an
airplane pilot to being a glider pilot.

What can the Stemme do that the ASH26E can't? (excluding the obvious
like taking a skinny passenger)

Andy

For a couple of years, I had both the Stemme and the ASH26E . I designed a
hydraulic lift and tow out assembly that allowed the 26E to be kept
assembled in the hangar, towing it out to the ramp sideways. This made it
quicker to get ready to fly than the Stemme, which takes just minutes to
unfold the wings. Since most of my flying was solo, and the 26E is more
nimble, the Stemme was gathering cobwebs.

The Stemme can be flown in level powered flight at over 125 knots, so flying
under an overcast isn't an issue. Being turbocharged and intercooled allows
easy cruise climbs to 18K for long saw tooth glides when it's necessary to
make lots of distance (assuming one doesn't have the time to soar). The
Stemme's excellent ground handling capability means that it can easily
operate out of towered airports. From my experience, it can taxi in winds as
high as 35 knots, turning into, away from, or cross wind in such high winds
isn't a problem as long as one uses due care. A skilled pilot can land in as
much as 25 knots of crosswind (though this is more than the demonstrated
crosswind). Conditions like these would have me leaving the 26E in the box!
The Stemme's unique combination of capability and performance makes it ideal
for safaris and multi-day cross country trips - - no ground support needed.

I do love the 26E though (g).

bumper

Old August 28th 17, 09:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 6:00:04 PM UTC+3, wrote:
For anyone interested in the Taifun 17E motorglider, there is a new
discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Taifun17E/

The Valentin Taifun 17E is a motorglider (or self-launching sailplane).
It has 2 seats, side by side, a 17m (56 ft) wingspan, retractable gear,
flaps and spoilers. It has a nose-mounted Limbach motor of either 80hp
or 90hp, driving a feathering prop. Factory specifications show a best
glide of 29:1 and a thermaling speed of 49-52 kts. Performance is said
to be comparable to the Ximango and in the same general class as the
Diamond Katana/Xtreme, Grob 109 and Pipistrel Sinus.

Anyone who owns, flies, or has a general interest in the Taifun should
come on over and visit!

Hi guys we happen to have a brand new Rotax912A3 engine, any idea if that will fit in our Taifun17EII with a limbach 2400 EB Engine? what are the modification required etc..??