Unable to Update PowerFLARM Portable Firmware

Old September 3rd 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Unable to Update PowerFLARM Portable Firmware

Yeah, maybe.
Sent an email to you about R2N contest day I just flew. Really basic Cambridge, didn't overload my feeble mind......LOL.....
Old September 4th 17, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

As I understand, the portable does not update when presented with a new FW on the SD card upon power up. You have to go into the menu and select the update FW item.

Old September 4th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Got it!

The freshly formatted SD card made no difference; boot up was as though
there was no card installed.Â* So, after it was up, I used the
Info/Update process, and that worked just fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dan

On 9/2/2017 3:54 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On my initial attempt I had a profile file installed on the SD card
and there was a message on the splash screen stating that the profile
was being updated, then no update to the firmware.Â* I removed the
profile file and tried again.Â* This time, the PF portable simply
booted up.Â* I'll try cleaning the contacts and, as Dave suggested,
I'll also format the SD card to FAT32 and install only the .fw file.Â*
I should have results tomorrow.

Dan

On 9/2/2017 12:49 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 11:57:55 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Copy the firmware file to the root level of the SD card Insert the SD
card Apply power

My PF portable comes up quickly showing fw version 6.08. There's no
30-second update time as mentioned in the instructions.Â* The
instructions say to interrupt power for at least 5 seconds after
inserting the card.Â* It seems to me that inserting the card in an
unpowered unit serves the same purpose.Â* Could that be why my unit
won't
update?

I did exactly that, only with the Classic FLARM 6.40 program and an LX
RedBox FLARM: because I always insert and remove the SD card with the
FLARM powered off. Mine did the install as soon as it was powered on: I
could see the power LED flashing red during the install and, in due
course that turned green and the unit lit the GPS LED red as it started
looking for a GPS signal.

Normally, with the SD slot empty, my power LED shows steady red while it
boots. Then the power LED turns green and the GPS LED lights up red to
show its looking for a GPS signal.

Is it possible that your PF portable didn't notice the SD card? It might
be worth cleaning its contacts before trying again.

--
Dan, 5J