A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Back to FAI

Old October 13th 16, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Back to FAI

Sean says the US needs to go "Back to FAI Rules". Has the US EVER flown a National contest under the then current International Rules?

In the May 1937 Soaring Magazine, the System for Awarding Points for the upcoming 1937 Nationals is printed. Page 12.

Old October 13th 16, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Back to FAI

Thank you for asking this. I was searching Google today to try and discover when this happened. I found a couple interesting documents on the history of the rules in the US but nothing about the split spoken of in the other thread.

It has been established in the other thread that most countries adopt the international rules with limited modifications and translation. US and Canada are apparently outliers.

Were the US rules at least close to the FAI/IGC at one time?
Old October 14th 16, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Back to FAI

It is same for aerobatics in the U.S.A.
The international (FAI) rules have changed for what types of programs will be flown. The american aerobatic agency, the International Aerobatic Club, has decided to not change to match the FAI.
Old October 14th 16, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Back to FAI

Take heed my brethren and learn from thee ways...

Most wondrous pointeth to showeth a parallel between a'robatics and soaring.

F'r the w'rld championships of the lasteth 28 years, thee usa hast not wonneth since 1988.

https://en. m. wikipedia. 'rg/wiki/fai_w'rld_a'robatic_championships

Doth thee wanteth to winneth???

Or doth thee desires of heart dream of being a loser?
Old October 14th 16, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Back to FAI

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:47:44 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Sean says the US needs to go "Back to FAI Rules". Has the US EVER flown a National contest under the then current International Rules?

In the May 1937 Soaring Magazine, the System for Awarding Points for the upcoming 1937 Nationals is printed. Page 12.

Tony,

This is an excellent question. I do not know the answer. I'm also sure that it doesn't matter a great deal. I care about where are we now and where are we going to be in 1, 3, 5 and 10 years.

Clearly today the "FAI rules" are vastly dominant internationally with only the USA spending all the time and energy to do something significantly different (with no measurable value to show for it). All other nations seem very happy with the FAI rules and seem to use them safely and successfully.

Again, my simple question is: What measurable value to we enjoy as a US Soaring Community by using US rules vs. FAI rules? A follow up is what is the cost of maintaining our own custom US rules? I would offer: instability and constant debate, change, and turmoil. Isolation competitively and socially from all other soaring nations. 4 volunteers focused on squabbling over US rules when they could be focused on more important projects. The time and expense of maintaining our custom scoring software. more difficult for our pilots to be competitive internationally. Ever softer tasking. Etc, Etc.

Do we have greater numbers of pilots? Greater enthusiasm? Bigger contests? More contests? Happier more excited pilots? Higher levels of safety in our contests? Better (easier) scoring software? Better overall growth? More youth pilots? Etc? ....vs.... all other major soaring countries which are using the FAI rules (for free) and not spending all of this effort maintaining their own unique, isolationist soaring competition rules?

I don't think we have better value results in any real form of measure. In fact, I would argue we are lower or significantly lower in most.

So, why are some so happy to blindly continue forward with US Rules forever as if there is no other viable option (cough, cough...FAI...its right over here....http://www.fai.org/gliding)?