Help. Obtaining a UK Gliding License on the basis of my AmericanLicense

Old July 9th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Help. Obtaining a UK Gliding License on the basis of my AmericanLicense

On Jul 8, 5:01*pm, Chris Reed wrote:
Paul Jessop wrote:
... we fly this really sensible diagonal leg from
downwind to base that will scare most airport-trained US pilots senseless

I remember that the other way round - flying in the US soon after I went
solo in the UK and hearing the cries of alarm from the back seat as I
cut off the nice square corner of the circuit at *exactly* 45 degrees
(as I said, I'd only just gone solo).

We have one or two other tricks up our sleeve for foreigners - for
example, we turn left off aerotow not right.

For a US visitor I'd suggest talking the UK instructor through your
flight before launching would be a good idea, so as to identify these
cultural differences before takeoff. As another example, Houston (where
I flew in the US) began all circuits at 1000ft agl over a particular
ground feature. At my UK flatland club we'd still be scratching at that
height and start the circuit around 700ft from an appropriate point,
maybe joining the circuit half way down the downwind leg. Fortunately
I'd been briefed on that beforehand, otherwise I'd not have got as far
as introducing Houston to the British diagonal. Clubs based in the hills
* have modified circuit procedures to deal with curlover in particular
wind directions, but they tend to brief on those anyway because UK
flatlanders like me would otherwise get into trouble.

Grin :-) I've now flown a bit in Germany, Sweden, Austria, and the
UK. Everybody has their own local customs, but at the end of the day
we all figure out how to get the ship down in one big piece.
Old July 9th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 8, 8:23*pm, (Alan) wrote:
In article Andy writes:

On Jul 8, 11:45=A0am, Paul Jessop wrote:
You're clearly eligible for one (as you have an ICAO compliant glider
licence/license/certificate and I assume you have 5h PIC in the last year=

)

There may be a small catch here. *It is my understanding that most US
pilot certificates are not ICAO compliant since they do not include
the statement that the pilot is proficient in English. *New
certificates include the endorsement.

"Background: Effective March 5, 2008, ICAO Annex 1 (Personnel
Licensing) standards require that all private, commercial or ATPs as
well as FEs and flight navigators operating internationally as
required crewmembers of an airplane or helicopter have an airman
certificate with an endorsement of language proficiency. In the case
of persons holding a U.S. airman certificate, the language proficiency
endorsement will state =93English Proficient=94

So Papa3 you may need to get a new FAA certificate before you try to
use it as a basis for getting a BGA certificate.

Andy

* Probably not. *From *http://www.luchtzak.be/forums/viewto...p?f=14&t=38606

* *Effective March 5, 2008, ICAO Annex 1 (Personnel Licensing) standards
* *require that all private, commercial or ATPs as well as FEs and flight
* *navigators operating internationally as required crewmembers of an airplane
* *or helicopter have an airman certificate with an endorsement of language
* *proficiency. *In the case of persons holding a U.S. *airman certificate,
* *the language proficiency endorsement will state ?English Proficient?.

* *On October 26, 2007, ICAO published State Letter AN 12/44.6-07/68 regarding
* *Assembly - Resolution A36-11- Proficiency in the English Language Used for
* *Radiotelephony, which automatically delays implementation up until March 5,
* *2011 for those countries notifying ICAO. *As such, the U.S. *has notified
* *ICAO that it file a difference that will extend the U.S. *compliance date
* *until March 5, 2009 in order to provide sufficient time for all affected
* *U.S. *airman certificate holder to comply with the ICAO Language
* *Proficiency airman certificate endorsement requirements.

* Since we are talking about gliders, not airplanes or helicopters, the
requirement would appear not to apply.

* Further, since notification has been made to the ICAO, you would have
until March 5, 2009 for international operations in airplanes and helicopters.

* If the operation were fully within the UK, in a UK registered aircraft,
it would seem to not be an international operation, so the requirement
probably would not apply there, anyway.

* * * * Alan- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to everyone for clarifying/amplifying/explicating. I'll go
ahead and take it up with the club(s) where I intend to fly and see
what they say. In the meantime, I'll get the UK medical certificate
out of the way just as a an additional precaution. With regard to
English...one of my newer certificates (I think my most recent flight
instructor) states English proficient or some such, though my wife
might beg to differ.

P3
Old July 9th 09, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message , Don Johnstone
writes
snip
The medical requirements for the above, you are expected to be able to
walk to and from the glider unaided, at the appropriate times but that is
not absolutely essential.

It's not needed at all - there is at least one paraplegic instructor in
the UK and a number of Bronze badge holders.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
Old July 9th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 23:30 08 July 2009, Don Johnstone wrote:
The law governing the solo flying of gliders in the UK is very simple,

you
have to be over 16 to do it. That is it, that is all the law says.

That's an interesting point. Does the BGA enforce that rule? My point
being that in the US you can solo on your 14th birthday. A certain number
of pilots do that every year.

Jim Beckman

Old July 9th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message , Jim Beckman
writes
At 23:30 08 July 2009, Don Johnstone wrote:
The law governing the solo flying of gliders in the UK is very simple,

you
have to be over 16 to do it. That is it, that is all the law says.

That's an interesting point. Does the BGA enforce that rule?

Oh yes.

My point
being that in the US you can solo on your 14th birthday. A certain number
of pilots do that every year.

And quite a few solo on their 16th birthday here, assuming the weather
is suitable!

Old July 9th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bartek K.

The BGA rules say that your medical practitioner must sign the relevant
form which can be downloaded from the BGA website, nowhere does it say
that your medical practitioner has to be in the UK so get the form signed
by your doctor in the US and that complies with the rules.

Yep, I had no problems flying solo in the UK with the form signed by
an Irish GP.

Bart
Old July 10th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

I am not sure that it is quite as easy as that. The BGA self declaration
medical form countersigned by your own doctor is a requirement for the UK
NPPL, i.e. for UK recreational pilots flying simple UK registered
aircraft, including gliders, in UK airspace. We may have a special
arrangement with the Irish, or maybe this just wasn't spotted!

At some point in the future this, or something similar, will become a
European wide arrangement under EASA, as part of a Recreational Pilots
Licence. At the moment the French won't accept my UK NPPL medical
certificate, and would require that I undergo a medical by one of their
own aviation doctors before flying there, although most of the other EC
countries will, but only if I am flying a UK registered glider. UK NPPL
holders are not even allowed to fly foreign registered aircraft in the UK,
as my club found out when we imported a German registered towplane. It
could only be flown by pilots with full CAA or JAR medical certificates.

Obviously we will accept any recognised aviation medical certificate
issued by a National or International Aviation Authority. Otherwise it
would be a good idea to check with the BGA before coming. Their website is
www.gliding.co.uk

Derek Copeland

Old July 10th 09, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Nowhere does it say in any of the paperwork that the medical practitioner
has to be in the UK. The medical practitioner is only signing to confirm
that the declaration made by the applicant is true so where he comes from
is immaterial.
The form and medical are only relevant to the BGA and are NOT a legal
requirement in the UK, they are only required to fly at a UK BGA club.

Why is it that some people want to complicate everything, I did say on my
original post that some jobsworth would find fault, so now you know
exactly who the jobsworth is.
The original question was about flying in the UK, not France or any of the
other countries in Europe.

The basic requirement remains, to fly a glider solo in the UK you have to
be aged 16 years or more. That is the ONLY legal requirement, there are no
others, no medical, no certificate, no licence, no talking to jobsworth.
You just need to be 16 years or older.

Old July 10th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 10, 5:45*am, Don Johnstone wrote:

The basic requirement remains, to fly a glider solo in the UK you have to
be aged 16 years or more. That is the ONLY legal requirement, there are no
others, no medical, no certificate, no licence, no talking to jobsworth.
You just need to be 16 years or older.

Sadly, on that front I am more than qualified...