What was controller implying??

Old September 13th 04, 04:56 AM
Snowbird

"Chip Jones" wrote in message link.net...

Could be, but why such a procedure would exist is beyond me. My guess is
either individual controller misunderstanding of national security
procedures, or else some over-reaching, non-standard local facility or
regional management CYA policy.

Well, I think we can rule out "individual controller misunderstanding".

Sat. am we were flying VFR with FF and heard a ZKC controller say
very distinctly to another plane "we're required to send the reason
for any change in destination under IFR to the front desk, say
your reason?"

Cheers,
Sydney
Old September 13th 04, 03:38 PM
Newps

Snowbird wrote:

Well, I think we can rule out "individual controller misunderstanding".

Sat. am we were flying VFR with FF and heard a ZKC controller say
very distinctly to another plane "we're required to send the reason
for any change in destination under IFR to the front desk, say
your reason?"

The "front desk"? They running a motel there in Kansas City?

Old September 16th 04, 03:11 AM
Chip Jones

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
"Chip Jones" wrote in message

link.net...

Could be, but why such a procedure would exist is beyond me. My guess

is
either individual controller misunderstanding of national security
procedures, or else some over-reaching, non-standard local facility or
regional management CYA policy.

Well, I think we can rule out "individual controller misunderstanding".

Sat. am we were flying VFR with FF and heard a ZKC controller say
very distinctly to another plane "we're required to send the reason
for any change in destination under IFR to the front desk, say
your reason?"

That's a hoot! Yet another example IMO of things run amok...

Chip, ZTL

Old September 26th 04, 08:27 PM
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Do good controllers make good managers? I know that good engineers often
don't make good engineering managers.

But do poor engineers make good engineering managers?

In my experience, every good manager had been a good controller and I've
never known a poor controller to make a good manager. But that's a small
sample.

I wouldn't say that a bad enginer necessarily makes a good manager, but
most good engineering managers weren't top 10% engineers. I'd say that
are in the above average category, however. Often the top 10% engineers
just can't step back from the details and let others do the work as they
always feel, may rightfully, that they can do it better. Being a good
manager means letting others do the work even if you can do it better.

Matt

Old September 26th 04, 09:34 PM
John R. Copeland

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message =
=20
I wouldn't say that a bad enginer necessarily makes a good manager, =

but=20
most good engineering managers weren't top 10% engineers. I'd say =

that=20
are in the above average category, however. Often the top 10% =

engineers=20
just can't step back from the details and let others do the work as =

they=20
always feel, may rightfully, that they can do it better. Being a good =

manager means letting others do the work even if you can do it better.
=20
Matt

Matt, you understand an important point.
I used to promise my engineers I wouldn't ask them to do anything
that I couldn't do.
But I also told them I expected them to be more efficient than I could =
be
at doing those tasks, because my skills were rusty.
Our teams were very successful.
---JRC---

Old September 28th 04, 12:32 AM
Matt Whiting

John R. Copeland wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message ...

I wouldn't say that a bad enginer necessarily makes a good manager, but
most good engineering managers weren't top 10% engineers. I'd say that
are in the above average category, however. Often the top 10% engineers
just can't step back from the details and let others do the work as they
always feel, may rightfully, that they can do it better. Being a good
manager means letting others do the work even if you can do it better.

Matt

Matt, you understand an important point.
I used to promise my engineers I wouldn't ask them to do anything
that I couldn't do.
But I also told them I expected them to be more efficient than I could be
at doing those tasks, because my skills were rusty.
Our teams were very successful.
---JRC---

Well, I use "wouldn't" where you use "couldn't" above. :-)

Seriously, I was a pretty good engineer when I was working on the front
lines, but I now consider my job as a manager to be hiring people who
are better than me. If I could do anything that any of the 32 people
who work for me can do, then I don't have a very capable group...

Matt