Contact Approach -- WX reporting

Old December 15th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug[_1_]

Default Contact Approach -- WX reporting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Upon further review, I did misspeak.

Drum roll. I think this is a FIRST!! :-)

Old December 18th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ups.com...

How can you tell if a tower is issuing a clearance for an IFR operation
or if it is relaying the clearance received from whatever facility has
responsibility and authority for IFR operations?

Who cares?

KG

Old December 19th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

karl gruber wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ups.com...

How can you tell if a tower is issuing a clearance for an IFR operation
or if it is relaying the clearance received from whatever facility has
responsibility and authority for IFR operations?

Who cares?

KG

Because it takes quite a bit longer to get the relay. So if you're
scud running and looking for a quickie pop-up, you should go to the
main source. Many "VFR" towers have to call the ARTCC or TRACON. So
calling one of those towers is just a shade better than calling FSS.

Old December 21st 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger[_4_]

On 19 Dec 2006 00:06:28 -0800, wrote:

karl gruber wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ups.com...

How can you tell if a tower is issuing a clearance for an IFR operation
or if it is relaying the clearance received from whatever facility has
responsibility and authority for IFR operations?

Who cares?

KG

Because it takes quite a bit longer to get the relay. So if you're
scud running and looking for a quickie pop-up, you should go to the
main source. Many "VFR" towers have to call the ARTCC or TRACON. So
calling one of those towers is just a shade better than calling FSS.

Assuming they will take it. They need to have time to handle you and
if they have that they need a place to put you and if traffic is heavy
that may not be convenient.

A few years back I was on my way to Oshkosh (not during the fly-in).
When I took off from Midland (3BS) things were right down to minimums
and rain. In most places it was only high enough to be legal on the
ILS. I was on top a bit above 7000 and cruising west at 8000. Here
you get handed off from departure to Cleveland Center and within a
couple of minutes (usually) before finishing your climb when West
bound you get handed off to Minneapolis Center.

Center was busier than the proverbial cat on a marble floor. A King
Air from some where up in the Pelston area popped up on frequency and
tried to file. They bluntly told him to go back to FSS and file. Now
ceilings were so low it's unlikely he could have been skudd running in
the clear without flying between the trees, let alone hills up there.
OTOH it is *possible* he did see a hole to get him on top. Most of
the state was 100 to 200 with rain. He was on top just like the rest
of us. (not asking how he got there but I think center had a good idea
about that magic hole) A bit later he was back as he cold not contact
FSS and asked if they had *another* frequency for them in that area.
Apparently either none of the towers in that area wanted him or he
didn't want to call them and admit where he was. (Yes I am making some
assumptions, but pretty well founded according the weather briefing)

So he had taken off into the clag with the idea of calling center for
a pop up. Unfortunately Center didn't want to do it that way and to
finally put him into the system without violating any one they had to
make other traffic wait while they let him file, put him into the
system, and gave him a clearance.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 22nd 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Roger wrote:

Center was busier than the proverbial cat on a marble floor. A King
Air from some where up in the Pelston area popped up on frequency and
tried to file.

I've been in that radio black-hole at Pellston. Nobody can hear you 'til
you get some serious altitude. There is definitely a trap there for
anyone thinking they could take off VFR and get a clearance airborne.