What was controller implying??

Old August 31st 04, 12:15 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

It's bizarre that he should even ask this, but don't let it get to you.
The only thing I can think of is he suspects you're in some kind of
trouble and is trying to figure out if he should handle you as an
emergency. Tell him something that'll make him happy, and get on with
flying the airplane. Tell him you're diverting due to weather. Declare
minimum fuel if you think it'll make a difference. If he's not taking
the hint, just tell him straight out what you need, "Request clearance
to Podunk Municipal and vectors to the ILS". If he's still not taking
the hint, request immediate clearance.

I wouldn't tell him anything that isn't true. A few years ago a light twin
being vectored for sequencing at ORD declared minimum fuel and was given
priority handling, several aircraft were vectored out of his way. He was on
the ground briefly and departed again. Some supervisor type thought it a
little too briefly and phoned the FBO to see if he bought fuel. He hadn't.
As I recall, he said he declared minimum fuel because if he didn't land at
ORD soon he wouldn't be able to reach his next destination without buying
fuel. I don't know how it all shook out but he definitely abused the
system.

Old August 31st 04, 12:15 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
news

Never parse a controller's transmissions in an attempt to analyze his or
her
intentions. I don't know how you phrased your transmission regarding the
change in destination, but my guess is that it did not contain enough
information.

He wanted to change his destination. He conveys that to the controller by
saying, "I'd like to change my destination to (insert airport here)", and,
if necessary, "via (insert route here)." That's all the information needed.

Old August 31st 04, 12:15 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"nobody" wrote in message
om...

I've had this happen to me a couple of times over the last couple
of months - the controller querying me as to why a change in
destination. I'm wondering if there is a new requirement placed
on the controllers because of "security". Any controllers here
that would care to comment?

There's no new requirement.

Old August 31st 04, 12:15 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Michelle P" wrote in message
nk.net...

Standard question. I have changed my destination several times on IFR
flight plans and have always been asked.

Regardless how many times you've been asked, it's not a standard question.

Old August 31st 04, 12:40 AM
Roy Smith

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

It's bizarre that he should even ask this, but don't let it get to you.
The only thing I can think of is he suspects you're in some kind of
trouble and is trying to figure out if he should handle you as an
emergency. Tell him something that'll make him happy, and get on with
flying the airplane. Tell him you're diverting due to weather. Declare
minimum fuel if you think it'll make a difference. If he's not taking
the hint, just tell him straight out what you need, "Request clearance
to Podunk Municipal and vectors to the ILS". If he's still not taking
the hint, request immediate clearance.

I wouldn't tell him anything that isn't true.

Neither would I, but the OP said "I realized I might have to reverse
course to escape, but did not have enough fuel to get home for sure."

It may not quite fit the AIM definition of "Minimum Fuel", but anytime
you can say "escape" and "not have enough fuel" in the same sentence,
that sounds close enough to me.
Old August 31st 04, 12:43 AM
Matt Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

I asked him where the airline guys were diverting. He said Richmond.
I said "I'll take it."

I don't mean to second guess your decision, but it occurs to me that
going where the airline guys are going may not always be the best pick.
They're looking for an ILS leading to 6000 feet of concrete, and
possibly other criteria driven by business and/or opspec issues. A spam
can may find a 2500 foot runway that's 30 miles closer and still VFR a
better alternative.

Well, I knew roughly where I was and Richmond wasn't far away (I think
less than 30 miles, but I'd have to run a flight plan to know for sure)
and it was almost directly opposite the incoming storms. Also, I wanted
a restaurant for me and my colleagues to eat in while waiting out the
storm as it was approaching supper time. There might have been a
slightly closer airport, but I was in in solid IMC at the time, it was
getting dark fast and the Strikefinder was talking to me. A decent
sized airport with large runways and an ILS was rather appealing all
things considered!

We had the airplane tied down and just got inside when the rain began.
We got to the restaurant before the hail started. I was afraid of
damage to the airplane, but fortunately it came through fine. After two
hours in the reasonably nice restaurant at Richmond, we completed an
uneventful night flight back to ELM.

We talked earlier about delegating tasks to ATC in certain situations.
For me this was an obvious one. ATC had a bigger picture view than I
did of where the nasty weather was and where it wasn't. It was obvious
that this line of storms was forming up much faster and more intensely
than the forecast I'd received a couple hours earlier before departing
Wilmington. I was in IMC and it was getting dark fast ahead. This is a
case where it seemed to me prudent to delegate a little bit to ATC.
Also, I took advantage of CRM! The CRM of the airliners who had two
pilots to figure out where best to divert! :-)

The diversion to Richmond got me headed away from the storm, got me into
a well equipped airport, and let me watch the excitement from the safety
of a decent restaurant over a steak dinner courtesy of my expense
account! The storm was magnificent to watch. It doesn't get any better
than that!

Matt

Old August 31st 04, 03:57 AM
Michelle P

Matt,
I made it but barely. I would have never made it to my final
destination. I was trying to figure out how I could relieve myself
without stopping but I do not have the right plumbing and I did not have
the hardware.

Michelle

Matt Whiting wrote:

Michelle P wrote:

Bill,
Standard question. I have changed my destination several times on IFR
flight plans and have always been asked. The concern usually seems to
be they want to know if I need assistance. They were concerned an
urgent/emergency situation is developing. A simple reply "weather"
would surfice.

Once I had and "Emergency" in IFR. I lost my alternator in IMC over
West Virginia. I relayed this info to the controller and everyone on
the frequency starting telling me a specific airport to go to. This
airport happened to be close to my route and ahead. I requested a new
destination and was granted. Within 10 minutes the frequency was very
quiet. So quiet I became concerned I had lost my comm radio. I called
the controller and he re-assured me he was still there and that he
had passed off everyone else to another controller and frequency. I
landed safely. Another time I merely had to pee so bad I had a hard
time thinking strait. :-} The controller got a good laugh from that one.
Michelle

You do know that you aren't required to tell the controller EVERY
detail! :-) So, did you make it? :-)

Matt

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old August 31st 04, 06:42 PM
Bob Gardner

I agree with everything except "ask why he asked why." Frequency time and
controller attention time is too valuable to be taken up with dialogue.

Bob Gardner

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Bill J wrote:

Yesterday I was on an IFR flight about 50 miles from destination. The
area was getting covered with TS, including my alternate 20 miles futher
west. Home base was 150 mi to the east. I realized I might have to
reverse course to escape, but did not have enough fuel to get home for
sure.

So, the last chance to land before the TS got heavy was coming close.
When about 15 miles from this new "alternate" I told controller I wanted
to change destination. I expect a vector to the final, and I was needing
to start descent. Nothing happened. Finally when maybe 5 miles out, and
way to close to get a vector, controller quizzed me with "I need to know
what is the reason for the change in destination??"

From the tone of voice I could tell I caused him a problem. The traffic
was not heavy. I have never had anyone question a change like that. When
over the airport VMC opened up briefly, I cancelled and landed.
Wondering what might have caused the query.

I don't know what problem your request caused him, but why didn't you
just tell him why and ask why he asked why? :-)

Matt

Old August 31st 04, 07:02 PM
Michael 182

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
I agree with everything except "ask why he asked why." Frequency time and
controller attention time is too valuable to be taken up with dialogue.

Bob Gardner

Well, depending on the situation. I fly around the West a lot, and sometimes
there are long enough gaps between calls that I can listen to a whole side
of Stevie Ray. And, at least where I fly, the controllers initiate a lot of
the dialogue, often pointing out interesting planes and places to me such as
in-flight refuelings or the Winslow crater. You can usually tell if a
controller is open to "off-topic" questions.

Michael

Old September 1st 04, 01:41 AM
Matt Whiting

Bob Gardner wrote:

I agree with everything except "ask why he asked why." Frequency time and
controller attention time is too valuable to be taken up with dialogue.

That all depends. I've flown on many a trip, even here in the
northeast, where it got quiet for so long that I called the controller
to be sure that my radio was still working. Sure, I wouldn't ask if
communications were hot and heavy, but that isn't the case all the time
unless you are talking to an approach or tower controller at a busy
filed. Centers are often pretty quiet, especially on a Sunday when it
is IMC across 6 states.

Matt