Close down r.a.p

Old October 9th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Close down r.a.p

I make a motion to shut this news group down. Unfortunately, there is no
more good to be learned from this once thriving educational site.

May it R.I.P.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 10th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Terry

I make a motion to shut this news group down. Unfortunately, there is
no
more good to be learned from this once thriving educational site.

May it R.I.P.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

I second that motion. Used to visit every day... Then once a week.. Now
once a month. Most of the "good" guys are gone... cept you and me of
course.

Terry
N6401F

Old October 10th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Ross" wrote:

I make a motion to shut this news group down.

Nah.

I'm sticking around.

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old October 10th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Terry" wrote:

Most of the "good" guys are gone...

Good riddance in a couple of cases.

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old October 10th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Ross" wrote in message
I make a motion to shut this news group down. Unfortunately, there is no
more good to be learned from this once thriving educational site.

May it R.I.P.

Not dead yet, although I understand your sentiment.

It seems to me that the signal to noise ratio is slowly beginning to
improve. There have been noticeably fewer posts by one certain individual.
Perhaps he is beginning to get bored, and looking for another group to
destroy.

Kill list the offenders. Add them liberally, and although there are fewer
posts, the ones left are showing a bit of quality.

I have hope that one day, we will all (including the good people that had
left and returned) look back and talk about the days that RAP was nearly
destroyed - by a few.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 10th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Terry" wrote in message
m...

I make a motion to shut this news group down. Unfortunately, there is no
more good to be learned from this once thriving educational site.

May it R.I.P.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

I second that motion. Used to visit every day... Then once a week.. Now
once a month. Most of the "good" guys are gone... cept you and me of
course.

There was no reason to bring the motion up in the first place. You guys
that think RAP is going to die simply because you no longer contribute
certainly have a higher opinion of yourselves than I do. If you don't want
to be here, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. This
whole notion of, "I'm going to take my ball and go home" is childish. Don't
go away mad, just go.

Old October 10th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Ross" wrote in message
I make a motion to shut this news group down.

I don't know who the hell you think you are, but it ain't up to you (or me
for that matter) to "shut down" any Usenet group.

Vaughn

Old October 10th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Olson

Ross wrote:
I make a motion to shut this news group down.

Let's......

not....
Old October 10th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Oct 9, 4:21*pm, Ross wrote:
I make a motion to shut this news group down. Unfortunately, there is no
more good to be learned from this once thriving educational site.

May it R.I.P.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

You obviously don't know much about Usenet as you can't shut a group
down.

I agree that a few children have made this place somewhat miserable
right now
but that is no reason to leave or whine. Be thankful that at virtually
any time
you can get a reasonable answer to just about anything airplane
oriented and
you can still have a pleasant discussion. With a killfile you can even
keep
the 3 or 4 or 5 adult children from playing in your backyard.

Ricky
Old October 10th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 01:55:52 -0700 (PDT), Ricky wrote in
:

You obviously don't know much about Usenet as you can't shut a group
down.

Let's distinguish, if we may.

The kind of group that is easiest to remove is a moderated
group that has been abandoned by the moderator, actively
(asking that the group be closed) or passively (disappearing
from the scene). Rmgroup control messages have been sent asking
news administrators to remove such group and some administrators
have agreed to do so.

Some unmoderated groups have been removed from the big-8
(a collection of 8 hierarchies, of which rec is a part),
most notably some unmoderated binary groups.

In the past, when there were relatively frequent reorganizations
of parts of the hierarchy, many unmoderated groups were removed
and replaced by other groups.

So, technically, there is a method for closing Usenet
groups.

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...licies:rmgroup

On the practical level, the likelihood of a motion to close
r.a.p being passed by the Big-8 Management Board is "not
much different from zero." The kind of traffic found here
is just like that found in hundreds, if not thousands of
other groups. The signal-to-noise ratio varies. Nowadays,
many people leave Usenet and take their discussions elsewhere.
Closing groups like r.a.p does not seem to me to be the
right approach to take in the face of these difficulties.
Some still enjoy this kind of interaction; others do not.
That's life.

Marty

--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.

Getting close. Crash Lander[_1_] Piloting 1 June 12th 07 04:25 AM
Close to solo Jon[_2_] Piloting 6 April 18th 07 09:58 PM
Close call? Alan[_4_] Piloting 6 April 8th 07 11:17 PM
It was really close... Jay Honeck Piloting 166 May 22nd 05 01:30 PM
Too close... Rod Tomlinson Piloting 2 August 16th 04 06:06 PM