Seminole Lake Owner Arrested

Old June 18th 16, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seminole Lake Owner Arrested

Here is another video showing immigration officers arresting him live on television.

https://youtu.be/d66bmjxklfA
Old June 18th 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How do all the new legalities affect the glider ops there at Seminole?
Old June 19th 16, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

For now, Rich's previous response answers the question. Even if Romania comes after assets purportedly purchased with illegal funds, it could be tied up in the courts for years. It has to be extremely frustrating for Rich amd Clif.

"Rich Owen
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 9:25:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
To the soaring community,

There are times in everyone's lives we find ourselves facing tough situations. Mr. Tanjala is dealing with some issues that could have a profound impact on his life. Prior to his departure from the U.S., he secured the financial health and ensured new leadership was in place for Seminole Flying and Soaring which is the company that operates Seminole-Lake Gliderport. He did this out of respect for the soaring community. He has enjoyed the camaraderie and friendship with all the visitors, pilots, and Seniors contestants through the years. His commitment to the business is strong and we plan to get better every year. Mihai is always in our thoughts and we wish him a quick resolution to his situation. The Senior Soaring Championship and OLC Camp are on track and ready to go. We look forward to seeing our friends down in sunny Florida very soon. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at 352-394-5450 (office) or 407-325-6500 (cell)

Sincerely, Rich Owen, Vice President, Seminole Flying and Soaring"
Old April 19th 17, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Update on Mihai Tanjala's status:

Mihai Tanjala, founder of the infamous "Two and a Quarter", is currently serving life in prison in a Romanian Supermax in a solitary confinement cell.. Convicted on fraud on a large scale, was sentenced to 5 years, then became a fugitive living in Florida while owning/operating the Seminole Lake Gliderport, only to be deported and fled again to Jamaica.

The total assets that he has stolen are now estimated around 200 Million dollars. He was part of a well known group called the Moneco's who stole mainly real estate by using their status in the Romanian Government for nearly a decade totaling almost a billion dollars between multiple members in this group.

Each piece of real estate is being taken back by the Romanian legal system and returned to their rightful owners. Seminole Lake Gliderport is low on the list.

He had remained unknown until authorities in Romania discovered the website updated to show his whereabouts st the gliderport with pictures and information about him. These photos made national news. So many Romanians were extremely angered seeing him fly helicopters and gliders with ill gotten financial gains.

Justice has been served to him and each person in his group.
Old April 19th 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 21:29:01 UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

As a long time snowbird customer of SLGP (15 years), I really have no interest in the legal struggles of Mihai, the owner; I am interested in SLGP as an FBO. And it is superb!

During Mihai's evasion and then arrest and incarceration, the field has been lavished with attention and affection by many of the customers, and most notably, Karen (landscaper extraordinaire), and I've never seen it look so good. Rich has overseen the on-the-ground management, and the prices are reasonable, the tugs in the best shape ever, and the field is located in a magic nexus of great soaring weather. The 'regulars' are a lot like the club members of my home field, and I'm proud that they are my friends.

The ownership is complicated, split I think, into land and FBO, and I think that the government of Romania, should it ever turn its attention to recovering this asset, will find it complicated, but strategically stupid to do anything to reduce its value as a functional FBO and soaring center for Eastern North American pilots in the winter season.

I hope that the operational status is unaffected; I intend to fly there for many years to come. You should consider doing the same.

Soaring is more pleasurable than schadenfreude!
Old April 20th 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It seems we go thru this issue every several months and I feel you should know who the individual is that is making these false claims. His name is Robert Turcescu and please Google his official bio. It should be pretty clear why he does these pieces of fake news. I have spoken to Mihai in the last 10 days and have emailed him over the past week regarding plans to construct new hangars at Seminole Lake Gliderport. Mister Tanjala is still very involved in the future plans of the gliderport and is not in prison as was reported. He has just returned from a trip in Romania and is beginning preparations for his return to Florida.

Seminole-Lake Gliderport has just finished another successful Senior Soaring Championship and the North American world qualifier for the Sailplane Grand Prix. We value all our customers, competition pilots, local pilots and airport residents. Please stop by and visit us on your next trip to Central Florida.

Hope to see you soon,
Richard Owen
Old April 20th 17, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 4:20:39 PM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
[...]

A simple google search of produces:

https://kingofromania.com/2016/06/07...mihai-tanjala/

https://caymannewsservice.com/2016/0...adition-fight/

Excerpt:

In his ruling Justice Swift said he could find no link with Tanjala’s claims of impropriety relating to his prosecution and conviction and there was no evidence to suggest that he had not had a fair trial or that the proceedings were politically motivated. However, although the judge said it would not be unfair or unjust to deport the convicted man back to his home country, he raised concerns about human rights issues in Romanian jails.

http://www.romaniajournal.ro/former-...ayman-islands/

Excerpt:

Former PDSR MEP Mihai Tanjala was one of the founders of the intelligence service 0215, had fled Romania after being sentenced to five years in prison..

If this is Fake News, it is PRETTY DAMN GOOD fake news!

Tom
Old May 15th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rich Owen,

You made a post last summer on 6/19/2016 that Hangers were to be constructed.

You mentioned it again in the post above nearly a year later

Will you actually be doing this, or is it just all talk and no action?
Old May 15th 17, 10:54 AM
Josh Fletcher Josh Fletcher is offline
Junior Member

asw20

Have you ever built anything, specifically a hangar? If so you would know that things do not always follow a nice timeline.

I have built a 50,000 sq foot hangar, and between funding, permits, cities, etc.. the time from when we thought we would start and when we actually did was 5 years!

So instead of beating people down for their efforts, maybe try being supportive of someone that is actually trying to improve our sport.

Regardless of what you think of SLGP's owner, Rich is doing a great job in Orlando.

Josh
Old May 15th 17, 04:41 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

If dealing with the county to get permits to build a hangar is anything like dealing with my homeowners association then it should be accomplished shortly after the turn of the next century. My HOA is run by postmenopausal Nazis bent on destroying the world.

Walt