Rescue Aid

Old July 19th 18, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Rescue Aid

How about a Stillsuit?
They're available at Harkonnen's in Tonopah.
Sorry, Graham.
Jim
Old July 19th 18, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Duster wrote on 7/18/2018 8:57 PM:

Put a water bottle in your fanny pack. Or you could spread out your parachute canopy and pray for rain

Both good ideas, in principle, but fanny packs were outlawed in the late '80s before water bottles were invented....and FAR Part 91.307 does not permit one to use a parachute for emergency purposes (this would include its use as a vessel to collect rainwater) unless it had been repacked within the previous 180 days. You just deployed it, so you're screwed ala Catch-22. A much better idea is to always carry ballast water in your tail tank. Dual purpose solution; the ship will have both a safe CG and since you cannot consume the tank water during flight, you'll always have some in reserve just in case of a land/crash out. Make sure you don't drain too much out, since the NTSB guy will cite you for improper W&B.

I carry plenty of water in glider for use after a landout; so my problem is
getting water after a bail out. And, I have an STC for my fanny pack, so it's
still a potential option

Old July 19th 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 7/18/2018 7:54 PM:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 1:26:30 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 7/17/2018 6:22 PM:
Water is the ONE thing you CAN'T do without. It's a nuisance to strap to your parachute, but sit out in 90+ degree temperatures and see how long you can go without taking a drink.
PS. Bring your own shade in the form of an emergency blanket - they are very compact.

How much water, and how do you strap it to your parachute?

Put a water bottle in your fanny pack. Or you could spread out your parachute canopy and pray for rain.t

I can't have a fanny pack behind me, as that is where the parachute is, and I
can't think of how to use one in front of me, as it would seem to interfere with
the shoulder straps, releasing the belts in an emergency, or even puling the rip
cord. How do you wear your fanny pack?

Old July 19th 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For those of us that have a Ballistic Recovery Systen, bailout water poses no problem. Just take a sip after stabilized under chute, then make a May Day call, if appropriate, then whip out my cell phone and call the wife............will be a bit late for supper, dear!
😏 JJ
Old July 19th 18, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Seriously, though, instead of trying to affix a bulky water bottle inside something that could get entangled or lost during bailout, what about using a version of those emergency water packets that lay pretty flat? e.g. 4oz with a 5 year shelf-life: https://www.moreprepared.com/sos-eme...ng-water-pouch
You could place 1 or more in various pockets, inside your shirt or some other clever location? I'll ask my rigger for his input.
Old July 20th 18, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 12:39:06 PM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Seriously, though, instead of trying to affix a bulky water bottle inside something that could get entangled or lost during bailout, what about using a version of those emergency water packets that lay pretty flat? e.g. 4oz with a 5 year shelf-life: https://www.moreprepared.com/sos-eme...ng-water-pouch
You could place 1 or more in various pockets, inside your shirt or some other clever location? I'll ask my rigger for his input.

Depending on where you live, it may be better to take a Life Straw with you instead of carrying the actual water on your person. This would allow you to drink out of any nearby stream or puddle. And it would probably be lighter too.
Old July 20th 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

As important as it is to have proper equipment in case of a bailout, THE goal is to get quickly out of the cockpit and deploy your parachute. A balance is necessary for the bailout equipment and safe cockpit egress under incredibly strenuous conditions. It doesn't mean a damn if you can't lever yourself over the gunnel because the gear behind your seat or on the turtle deck has shifted or your fanny pack has caught on something so you can't get out.
Craig

Old July 20th 18, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Seriously, though, instead of trying to affix a bulky water bottle inside something that could get entangled or lost during bailout, what about using a version of those emergency water packets that lay pretty flat? e.g. 4oz with a 5 year shelf-life: https://www.moreprepared.com/sos-eme...ng-water-pouch
You could place 1 or more in various pockets, inside your shirt or some other clever location?

My 'chute has a sheepskin Velcro-ed on which essentially forms a large bin. You can toss in several water packets w/o affecting comfort since they're quite thin (125ml vol). They don't shift or fall out at any attitude. If place near the lumbar region, they can provide gentle support. I've also made an insert from a T-shirt with 6 pockets which the water packets and other small emergency items (e.g., space blanket) can be placed. This is then inserted behind the sheepskin. In addition to the sterile water (which can be used to irrigate small wounds or even chilled to cool your back) I also carry an old, out of contract, thin flip-phone that can be used to call 911. This is not a lot of extra effort, and once the items are in place there's no need to think about it.
Old July 24th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

My local SAR group sez always carry a piece of yellow natural gas line with you.
If you get in trouble, bury it in the ground and in no time a backhoe will arrive and dig it up!
Old July 24th 18, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Ryan

Thanks Nick!