More on the Stearman flip at DCA

Old June 10th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default More on the Stearman flip at DCA

I got this from a friend:

My sources said that a Washington Post reporter was being carried and
admitted to accidentally pushing the brakes in order to leverage himself
up to see better during the landing. He didn't realize he was pushing
rudders or brakes. It's a good lesson for all of us who routinely carry
non-pilots in tailwheel aircraft to brief them on where not to have
their feet & hands during critical phases of flight.

It looked to me as if they were doing a wheel landing with the brakes
locked. It flipped as soon as the wheels touched the ground.

I wonder if the Washington Post is going to pick up the repair tab?

Old June 10th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.

My initial reaction was the same as above.
Briefing the back seat pax on this exact thing was SOP on every flight
we made with a pax in the back seat; newbie, experienced pilot, or
just plain passenger ride.
Dudley Henriques
Old June 10th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
I got this from a friend:

My sources said that a Washington Post reporter was being carried and
admitted to accidentally pushing the brakes in order to leverage himself
up to see better during the landing. He didn't realize he was pushing
rudders or brakes. It's a good lesson for all of us who routinely carry
non-pilots in tailwheel aircraft to brief them on where not to have
their feet & hands during critical phases of flight.

It looked to me as if they were doing a wheel landing with the brakes
locked. It flipped as soon as the wheels touched the ground.

I wonder if the Washington Post is going to pick up the repair tab?

This is such a plausible cause for the immediate landing upset,
and particularly so if it's self admitted. Pity about that....

Brian W
Old June 10th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default More on the Stearman flip at DCA: and a new checklist item

On Jun 10, 1:03*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Orval Fairbairn wrote:
I got this from a friend:

My sources said that a Washington Post reporter was being carried and
admitted to accidentally pushing the brakes in order to leverage himself
up to see better during the landing. He didn't realize he was pushing
rudders or brakes. It's a good lesson for all of us who routinely carry
non-pilots in tailwheel aircraft to brief them on where not to have
their feet & hands during critical phases of flight.

It looked to me as if they were doing a wheel landing with the brakes
locked. It flipped as soon as the wheels touched the ground.

I wonder if the Washington Post is going to pick up the repair tab?

This is such a plausible cause for the immediate landing upset,
and particularly so *if it's self admitted. Pity about that....

Brian W

There's a more general lesson here, and not just for pax in tail
draggers. We MUST brief our passengers! Not only do they have to be
told what not to grab and touch, but for their own comfort something
like this would be good. "Pretty soon after we take off we're going to
be in clouds. Don't worry about that. I'll be telling you when we are
going to be making turns so it won't be a surprise. It may get bumpy
too, that's to be expected. You'll be hearing us on the radio too, and
don't be surprised if you don't understand what's being said." and so
on.

I don't do it enough, but many first time passengers here a litany
like this from me after "cleared for takeoff".

"OK, we're in line with the runway, and . . .the throttle is forward

RPMs look good

Engine gauges look good,

We're almost going fast enough to fly

OK, one last look at the engine gauges, they're OK,

I'm pulling back a little bit, and . . .up we go.

Everything looks good, it's time to retract the landing gear

(and this is very important)

"Now I''m going to reduce power a little bit so the engine noise will
change. . ."

I really think saying out loud what you're going to do might make for
safer piloting even if you're flying alone.

Old June 10th 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
[...]

What you are describing above is EXACTLY what every good pilot should
be doing on every flight containing passengers. Many pilots don't
realize that what is absolutely normal in the way of sight, sound, and
movement to them, might be absolutely terrifying on the extreme end
and "of concern" on the low end, to a passenger.
I have advocated this to every pilot who has crossed my path during my
career, especially to the instructors I have had in seminars.
The purpose as you have so corrected implied is two fold; first of
course is safety. Second is the well being of the passengers who fly
with you.
ALL pilots are well advised to treat this subject as part and parcel
of their skill set.
Dudley Henriques
Old June 11th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
[...]

My damned check list keeps getting revised: the newest item is right
at the top "DO THIS ALOUD"

Old June 11th 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Terry

"Many pilots don't
realize that what is absolutely normal in the way of sight, sound, and
movement to them, might be absolutely terrifying on the extreme end
and "of concern" on the low end, to a passenger.
snip
Dudley Henriques

Couldn't agree more Dudley!
Glad your still here!

When I have a pax that is new to the experience of flying for the
first time I think it's important to make them a part of the flight. I
have always tried to make "their" flight the most enjoyable it can be.
I make all turns gentle, altitude changes smoothly etc. Always let
them know ahead of time what we will be doing.

It starts with the safety briefing before engine start-up as to what
will happen during the flight. Let them know that they can be a big
help just looking outside at the view and for other traffic. That
there will be times that I will ask them to be quite so I can
communicate on the radio. If we have an emergency and have to do an
off field landing don't panic, we are just landing in a different
place than we planned. : )

I get the greatest feeling when after the flight they tell somebody
that "I'm" a great pilot with the biggest smile on their face. Then it's
been a good day! Over the last 30 years of flying I've had several
"newly minted" pilots come to me and say that I played a part in them
wanting to fly. It doesn't get any better than that!

Terry N6401F

Old June 12th 10, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Some Other Guy[_2_]

Stephen! wrote:
This is what I used to brief new passengers when I was flying around
Guam:

Passenger Briefing

Takeoffs And Landings
1. Seat belts must be fastened at all times just like in the car.
2. Please do not distract pilot during takeoffs and landings.

Other Airplanes
If you see another airplane in the air that I have not pointed out to
you, do not assume that I see it. Point it out. Do this even during the
"quiet times"�

Fear Or Illness
Feeling anxious is normal when flying in small airplanes the first few
times. If you feel frightened, tell me. If you feel nauseous, please
tell me immediately. Focus your eyes on distant objects outside the
airplane. Do not read or stare at the floor. Direct the air vents at your
face. Try to relax.

Turbulence
The air near the ground is frequently moving because of heat rising from
the ground. Airliners generally cruise above most turbulence, but small
airplanes often cannot avoid it. While the bumps you may feel can be
disconcerting if you are not used to it, turbulence by itself is not
dangerous.

To Open the Door (only when told to open it!)
1. Lift the handle and push all the way back.
2. Push out on the door.

To Open the Window (Again, only when told to open it!)
1. Twist the handle.
2. Push the window all the way out.

Talking
Once the engine is started, and except in an emergency (or if I say
something to you) NO TALKING until I tell you it is okay. This will be
shortly after take off. I will need to be talking and listening to
several different people on the radio before and just after we take off.
It is vitally important that I hear what they have to say. I also need
to concentrate on performing the required checklists. There will be
plenty of time to talk to each other once we get out away from the
airport area. If, at any time, you are talking and you hear somebody say
something on the radio, IMMEDIATELY stop what you are saying. Even if it
means not finishing the word you were saying. I will tell you when it is
okay to continue. If you see another airplane in the air, and I have not
pointed it out to you, tell me about it using the "clock" method. You
can do this ANYTIME you see an airplane in the air and I am not talking
on the radio.

Things you will feel
When the engine first starts it will shake the plane a little bit. This
is normal and nothing to worry about.

While taxiing it will be a little bit bumpy. Remember that the landing
gear is afixed to pieces of spring steel and not shock absorbers or
springs. It is pretty stiff, just like a truck.

During takoff you will be pushed back into your seat and feel the little
bumps and cracks on the runway. As we accelerate and gain more lift both
of these will lessen.

As we speed up, the front of the airplane will begin to raise off the
ground a little bit.

You may also hear a buzzing sound during this time. It is nothing to
worry about.

Depending on how hard and which way the wind is blowing the plane may
turn or tilt a little bit immediately after we leave the runway. This is
because until this time the tyres were keeping the plane going straight
down the runway. Now that the tyres are no longer on the ground the wind
will turn the plane a little bit. This is entirely normal and will stop
almost immediately as I use the controls to turn into the wind.

Also depending on the winds there may be a couple little bumps as we
climb away from the runway and get above Barrigada hill. This is just a
little wind coming over the top of the hill.

We will climb to about 1500' above sea level (about 1000-1300' above the
ground) and fly to the south. Along the way we will see a lot of things
that you've only seen from the ground.

Upon our return to the airport area I will once again tell you when it is
"quiet time". Quiet time will then run until the engine is shut off on
the ground. Once again, you may break quiet time if you are reporting an
airplane in the air or if I am talking to you. Depending on the amount
of traffic quiet time may be very lax.

Things you will hear

You will hear the engine. You will be wearing headphones so it will not
be so loud as to hurt your ears. It really isn't that loud to begin
with, but wearing the earphones makes it more comfortable and easier for
us to communicate. You are welcome to take the headphones off anytime
you want, just let me know before you do so I don't think I am talking to
you through the intercom when you ain't even there!

You may hear a little creaking and groaning as we are taxiing and taking
off. You may also hear these sounds coming from the airplane. The
airframe is built to be flexible so is isn't fragile. These sounds are
just the flexible pieces rubbing on each other.

You will hear me and other people talking on the radio. You should have
an individual volume adjustment on your headset to allow you to set your
volume to a comfortable level. Keep the microphone close to your lips.
When you speak, use a normal tone of voice. If you find that the first
word or so that you are saying keeps getting cut off then start by saying
"uhhhhhh�" until you hear it in the headphones and without pausing go on
to the first word� next time speak a little louder�

You may hear a little buzzing sound when we take off and when we land.
This is nothing more than an indicator that I can use to judge our speed
without having to look at the speedometer.

When we get going a little faster you might hear the wind outside the
airplane.

Things you will see

You will see other airplanes on the ground. You will see other airplanes
in the air. If you see another airplane in the air while we are flying
and I have not pointed it out to you, let me know.

You will not see a whole lot out the front of the plane when we are
taking off and climbing. At that time it is better to look out the side
windows.

You will see the ocean.

You will see the jungle.

You will see downtown Agana, Windward Hills, you will see Talafofo Bay�
You *might* even get to see Talafofo Falls.

You will see Cocos Island.

You will see Apra Harbor.

This was wildly entertaining.

Thank you!

Old June 12th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Edward A. Falk wrote:
A couple of items I always include:

There is nothing on this dashboard that you can touch and make
the plane crash, so relax. However, there *are* things on this
dashboard that you can touch and annoy me, so always ask first.

Seems to me there was an incident where a passenger thinking they were
doing the vents pulled the mixture all the way out at an inappropriate
time, so I wouldn't go to the bank on that first statement.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.