ASG-29 vrs V3 ... observations from WGC Benalla pilots.

Old January 19th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASG-29 vrs V3 ... observations from WGC Benalla pilots.

OK, this is a real shot in the dark. To the ASG-29-18 and JS1-18 Benalla pilots who had a chance to thermal and run with the S-H V3s, how do they compare?

A tip of the hat to Greiner; most impressive a 10-12 year old design is still scoring well.
Old January 19th 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 3:30:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
OK, this is a real shot in the dark. To the ASG-29-18 and JS1-18 Benalla pilots who had a chance to thermal and run with the S-H V3s, how do they compare?

A tip of the hat to Greiner; most impressive a 10-12 year old design is still scoring well.

The JS-3 is optimized for 18m config. It is doing wonderful things (Uys and Attie!) in the 15m. I'd be looking closely at that ship if I were in the market for 18m.
Old January 19th 17, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Soaring is such an amazingly complex sport. The difference between these gliders (29 vs JS1 or V3), in my opinion, is at most "small." It's mainly coming down to the pilot and teams and the differences between them that makes the vast majority of the scoring difference each day. With the best pilot, any of these gliders is immediately competitive.

The V3 team has employed a group of fairly exceptional pilots to fly them here. So has the JS3 team (Uys and Attie). Of course there are many very strong 29 and JS1 pilots as well.

That said, the V3 seems to fly very well at typical speeds (80-110) and climbs evenly IMO. Pre-start weak climbs, when I'm full in the 29, seem 'almost' even although I'm at a slightly higher max wing-loading (59 vs 57). Is the V3 better than the V2? I'm pretty sure the V3 is a slight improvement.. It looks leaner and appears to be much more refined although I'm not sure how the fuselage or tail is new or updated (other than structurally for pilot safety). The feedback from the pilots here is VERY favorable. They like flying it over their V2's and shine about the improved handling and feel.

The JS-1 is clearly very strong and continues to be highly competitive. The pilots of JS1's also claim that their glider has a wonderful feel and it is capable of a higher wing loading (similar to the 29) than the V3. But the JS3 is (like the V2 and V3) almost certainly going to be better than the JS1 in 18m with its improved fuselage aerodynamics and the new high wing position aero improvements & redesigned inner wing sections. Or could the high wing aerodynamics be less of an advantage than predicted? The JS3 are early prototypes (although they look fully completed with beautiful interiors and general finish). I'm sure they will continue to make improvements. Again, like the V3, many 15m pilots flying V2a's or other known gliders in 15m think the JS3 is "very good" but can't really say if it's better. It's so close and other factors (such as a turn in a poor thermal or a flying bad line on a glide) costs far more than any perceived difference in performance. Same feelings on the V3 in 18m. Hard to perceive.

The 29 remains very, very (I'm biased maybe) good and is, IMO, still extremely competitive. When the speeds are over 105 mph I think it has some slight advantages and it clearly climbs well in all conditions. I have never flown one of the next gen "feel" gliders such as the V3 or JS1. Maybe that means something, maybe not.

So if you have a 29 or 27 or V2 or JS1, these latest gliders are not going to make your future contest impossible to be competitive. But these new gliders do appear to be strong and competitive (out of the box). I think that balance is perfect. If the new V3 and JS3 were a major improvement, destroying the WGC field, our older gliders would immediately become obsolete. That's not ideal. Fortunately, I do not think that is the case.

There are, of course, other important factors than just pure performance. Rigging ease, launching/sustainer motor options, quality & fit and finish, water system ease, customer service, safety, other technical innovations, etc.

One cool thing about the V3 is you can set the wing down full of water and nothing leaks! And the new canopy system on tha JS3 (both seal quality and safety) is amazing.

Sean

Old January 19th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sean - thanks for taking the time while at the WGC and to provide this insightful "first hand"-perspective on the newest ships in town.

All the best and good luck for the remaining days
Marc
Old January 19th 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 7:47:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Thank you Sean and congratulations on your Benalla performance. Another request: how about a picture of you in the J3 wearing your usual chute and the canopy closed.
Old January 19th 17, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 5:47:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Sean - I will join the group to thank you for taking the time, during a very busy and intense contest, to make your comments. They are much appreciated!
Now, fly fast and safe for the last two days! Thanks again - Renny
Old January 19th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

What Renny said!

Lou
Old January 20th 17, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You are all very welcome!

Benalla JS Soaring 158 January 24th 17 11:54 PM
Big day Benalla @ WGC. Tom Kelley #711 Soaring 5 January 17th 17 04:39 PM
WGC 2017 - Benalla Renny[_2_] Soaring 6 October 26th 16 12:38 PM
Observations on the War No SPAM, Please Military Aviation 2 March 16th 04 05:41 AM
17 Dec 03 -- Some Observations Jim Weir General Aviation 0 December 28th 03 11:25 AM