Oldie and Power Flarm

Old February 7th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Dezzutti[_4_]

Default Oldie and Power Flarm

Would appreciate hearing from pilots who have used an Oudie for power flarm

display. Is it a satisfactory tool or is a dedicated display (Butterfly or
LX)
needed? Thanks!

Old February 7th 17, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 6:00:13 PM UTC-8, John Dezzutti wrote:
Would appreciate hearing from pilots who have used an Oudie for power flarm

display. Is it a satisfactory tool or is a dedicated display (Butterfly or
LX)
needed? Thanks!

In my opinion the Oudie is better that the Butterfly or the Flarmview it is larger and the lady give verbal warnings.

A new display the Air-Avionics Air Traffic Display is better than either Butterfly or Flarmview

http://www.craggyaero.com/atd.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 7th 17, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey

I have my Power Flarm feeding my SN-10 and my SN-10 feeding my Oudie. All three of the units have their own unique way of displaying traffic alerts. I particularly like the Oudie display for longer range targets, especially when team flying. As long as the Flarm Net file is updated, the Oudie will show the Contest ID of the various targets.

I also had one occasion where I was flying in the vicinity of an uncontrolled airport with heavy student traffic, especially for instrument approaches.. I was able to watch the traffic targets establishing in the holding pattern stacked, and knew how many aircraft were on approach between the VOR and the airport.

It is important to remember though, this setup does not replace the need for eyes outside the cockpit. Don't get too focused on the volume of data available and displayed by these units. It can be distracting at times.
Old February 7th 17, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 3Y

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 7:00:13 PM UTC-7, John Dezzutti wrote:
Would appreciate hearing from pilots who have used an Oudie for power flarm

display. Is it a satisfactory tool or is a dedicated display (Butterfly or
LX)
needed? Thanks!

I like the old butterfly display, it is simple, small and keeps my Oudie screen uncluttered.
Old February 7th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

I only have personal experience with the Oudie/FLARM combination. It worked well for me (past tense - new ship, non-Oudie). Not only does the main display show the other gliders by ID (if you have the proper FLARM config file) but will show an inset box for more urgent alarms.

I generally think that one display for GPS, FLARM, task, etc, etc, information might be optimal for quickly scanning the panel and keeping your head out of the cockpit. However, I can understand that a dedicated FLARM display (with audible alarms) might be better from a safety point of view. I toyed with the separate FLARM display idea but I didn't have the panel real estate so it came to naught.
Old February 7th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I think the Oudie works fine as a Flarm display - both visual and voice. That is my primary.

My S8 vario also provides Flarm data but, except for the "bubble ring of danger" it is a bit too small.

Lou
Old February 7th 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

John,

The answer is it depends. Depending on your mission SeeYou Mobile is fine.. For cross-country flying the SYM is enough of a display. For racing I like a secondary display of either the Butterfly or FlarmView. Each gives slightly different situational awareness. The SYM is good for long rang scanning and keeping track of multiple gliders. In a thermal it is not as good if you are zoomed in. The Butterfly display can track the closest target. Tactically I use both in different ways so keep both for racing.

For alarms I have a V7, Butterfly and Oudie. All three go into alarm when there is a threat. In a loud cockpit the Butterfly or V7 are better, flying slow or thermalling the Oudie is very good.

Tim

Old February 7th 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 1:38:54 PM UTC-8, Tim Taylor wrote:
John,

The answer is it depends. Depending on your mission SeeYou Mobile is fine. For cross-country flying the SYM is enough of a display. For racing I like a secondary display of either the Butterfly or FlarmView. Each gives slightly different situational awareness. The SYM is good for long rang scanning and keeping track of multiple gliders. In a thermal it is not as good if you are zoomed in. The Butterfly display can track the closest target. Tactically I use both in different ways so keep both for racing.

For alarms I have a V7, Butterfly and Oudie. All three go into alarm when there is a threat. In a loud cockpit the Butterfly or V7 are better, flying slow or thermalling the Oudie is very good.

Tim

I second what Tim says with one minor tweak. I much prefer the Butterfly display over my current FlarmView for visual presentation and ease of use.
Old February 7th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 7:21:17 PM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 6:00:13 PM UTC-8, John Dezzutti wrote:
Would appreciate hearing from pilots who have used an Oudie for power flarm

display. Is it a satisfactory tool or is a dedicated display (Butterfly or
LX)
needed? Thanks!

In my opinion the Oudie is better that the Butterfly or the Flarmview it is larger and the lady give verbal warnings.

A new display the Air-Avionics Air Traffic Display is better than either Butterfly or Flarmview

http://www.craggyaero.com/atd.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

IMHO I absolutely agree with Richard. I bought a Air-Avionics Air Traffic Display and is is truly outstanding. I have it connected to my Portable PF and it is bright, easy to use and very easy to interpret. I used to use a FlarmView and I find this display superior and a lot easier to use....
Old February 8th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I really like the Oudie for traffic SA over a few miles. It makes it harder
for
another glider to sneak up on me. Closer to the field, the Oudie alerts
well
before the PF gets concerned.

I did get a Mode C alert from the PF that turned out to be a C-175 coming
from behind. I did a couple gentle banks to make myself more visible when I

couldn't see anything in front or to the sides.

Sharing a thermal, you want to know when somebody is about to join in.

A display dedicated to PF comes into its own in tighter traffic because
there's
no clutter. The original Butterfly display does the job.

If I had only one traffic display I'd seriously consider the AA ATD.

Power Flarm Problems Charlie Flagg Soaring 2 August 22nd 16 04:26 PM
Used Power Flarm Wanted [email protected] Soaring 0 June 12th 16 10:00 PM
Power Flarm [email protected] Soaring 3 May 25th 14 11:03 PM
Power flarm [email protected] Soaring 10 March 24th 14 03:31 AM
Power FLARM power Andy[_1_] Soaring 9 June 6th 12 12:38 AM