Any LX5000, SeeYou Mobile & Downloader users ...

Old April 4th 04, 03:45 PM
Ted Wagner

Default Any LX5000, SeeYou Mobile & Downloader users ...

I'm new to both of these products, and I'm a bit perplexed about a
connection question.

My iPaq has a cradle added to the glider by the previous owner, who like
myself, ran WinPilot. The iPaq receives the GPS's NMEA stream from the
cradle's connection to the LX5000. Works great, no problem. I expect SeeYou
Mobile, which I'm now starting to play with, will see the same NMEA stream
on the same comm port and be just as happy.

But when I tried to use the "Downloader" program on the iPaq in the same
cradle, it couldn't establish a connection with the LX5000, and some stuff
I've seen on the web talks about using a null modem cable adaptor and the
LX5000's other 5-pin connection on the instrument panel. Why
wouldn't/couldn't Downloader use the same connection that the GPS stream
uses? Is it simply a matter of that connection being dedicated strictly to
GPS data?

-ted

Old April 4th 04, 05:13 PM
Uros Podlogar

I have read your post and there are two possible problems:

1. For Winpilot you need only one way connection. Because of that some
installations have only transmit and ground line connected from the
instrument. For DownLoader you need both transmit and receive.

2. If you are using standard PC transfer cable to connect to the cradle
cable your first problem is that DB9 female connector is on both sides. You
can not use the gender changer adapter, because you will be connecting wrong
pins. You have to use null modem adapter.

Regards

Uros

www.flyWithCE.com

Old April 4th 04, 05:48 PM
tango4

The LX 5000 may not allow the ipaq to talk to the logger directly. I know
the LX 1600 has a mode to allow it to become transparent when a program like
downloader is trying to talk to the logger. Also some filser ( LX )
instruments do not pass the entire GPS stream through to the ipaq, they
filter out all but the stuff thats required and pass it to the ipaq. This
removes some overhead from the iPaq but it can be aproblem if you are trying
to get secondary data to your iPaq!

Ian

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message
[...]

Mobile SeeYou & Winpilot Ian Molesworth Soaring 8 March 25th 04 01:07 AM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
SeeYou Mobile Robert Fidler Soaring 0 March 17th 04 04:18 PM
SeeYou Mobile question Greg Arnold Soaring 1 February 19th 04 04:24 PM
SeeYou mobile questions Andy Durbin Soaring 5 February 19th 04 12:16 AM