Filser interfacing woes

Old April 3rd 04, 11:44 PM
Mal

Get a usb to serial port converter ten bucks in Australia

"Tim Mara" wrote in message
Get the FlywithCE "Downloader", use almost any model iPaq or Aero and you
can leave the PC at home......up/down load files, transfer data

(turnpoints,
tasks, airports) right to the pocket PC....I have cables to connect

directly
to the Filser devices and software link on my page
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/lx_nav...ies_for_ip.htm
once you have this you can also easily add FlywithCE Navigator if you ever
find the need for more ipaq navigation (you probably don't need this with
the DX50) and you're good to go.makes life without the laptop easy
tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

"CV" wrote in message
Hello all,
My old portable PC packed up definitely a few weeks ago and
when I started looking around for a new one I found that
none of them have the old traditional serial port anymore !?

This rather leaves me in the lurch with the Filser GPS-logger
in my glider, since the interface is over a cable that connects
to the serial port.

I imagine there may be others here who have come up agaist
the same thing. Can anyone point me to a solution ?

The model is Filser DX-50, functionally equivalent to the Lx5000
I am told, and possibly this particular problem will be the
same for some other models as well.

Cheers CV

Old April 5th 04, 06:09 PM
Denis

tango4 wrote:

Why not try an up-to-date laptop with bluetooth capability. With a bluetooth
adaptor in the cockpit downloads, uploads and task programming can be
acheived from the laptop in your car or minivan!

interesting, but are there Bluetooth adaptors that fit on a LX 5000
without requiring a PC (I guess it would be a serial to Bluetooth
adaptor) ? Have you tried it ?

--
Denis

R. Parce que ça rompt le cours normal de la conversation !!!
Q. Pourquoi ne faut-il pas répondre au-dessus de la question ?
Old April 5th 04, 06:55 PM
tango4

I have tried it with variable results. I have some RS232 to bluetooth
adaptorsthat automagically connect to my laptop once it comes within range.
Once I have sorted out how to make a reliable connection I'll post the
results here.

Ian

Old April 5th 04, 08:55 PM
Denis

tango4 wrote:

I have tried it with variable results. I have some RS232 to bluetooth
adaptorsthat automagically connect to my laptop once it comes within range.
Once I have sorted out how to make a reliable connection I'll post the
results here.

Ian

thank you - I will be interested by the reference if it works well ...

Old April 6th 04, 07:37 AM
fw.unt

Hi

I use an USB2SERIAL from Aten (www.aten.com.tw). There you will also
find any driver for win98,win2k and XP AND ALSO FOR MAC OS9 and OSX!
I use it for Filser LX400 and LX20 (it is like a LX5000 concerning the
HW) and it works very well. I once tryed an usb2serial from my Palm Vx
with little success. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The
adapter is very important in combination with the laptop. You have to
try it. Even with the serial only connection we had problems with some
PC-Hardware!
Lucky guys down under who have to pay 10 bugs for such cables, here in
Switzerland we have to pay 60 bugs!

Hope this helps.

FW

Mike Lindsay wrote in message ...
In article , CV
writes

I had the same trouble when I bought a new laptop.
Our local computer shop sold me a thingy which plugs into a USB port and
has an RS232 socket which you can use for your logger.

I think it is called a USB to serial bridge. It came with a CD to
install the software it needs. It works fine with my EW logger.

Old April 6th 04, 01:11 PM
Mal

It depends on the baud rate etc hardware.

And your pc and IT trouble shooting skills.

$10.00 is a wholesale price

om...

Volkslogger woes Dan Rihn Soaring 10 March 25th 04 03:10 PM
Russian Air Force Woes - Time to start again? Peter Kemp Military Aviation 31 February 21st 04 02:10 AM
V-22 crash woes over, military says, By Tony Cappacio Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 23rd 04 02:36 AM
Cambridge 302 DDV woes - Help me PLEASE !!! Mike Borgelt Soaring 7 October 11th 03 10:44 AM