Winch Experts wanted

Old March 18th 04, 01:40 AM
Ulrich Neumann

Default Winch Experts wanted

I am looking for a small group of professionals and folks with
practical experience in designing and building a glider launch winch.
My preference would be mechanical engineering types with power
transmission experience, Diesel engine/truck mechanics, Fabricators,
guys that know a thing or two about truck axles and maybe someone with
an insurance/legal background.

The purpose of putting this small team together is to come up with a
design for a safe, reliable and cost effective winch, which could be
built by a group of amateurs in the USA using commercially available
parts without a whole lot of modificatons.
There are no commercial ties to anything or anybody, nobody gets paid
and the design/ideas would be available for the asking.

So, who is up for the challenge?

Ulrich Neumann
Canfield, OH
USA
Old March 18th 04, 04:42 AM
Atacdad

How about a "Monster Garage" episode to turn a Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins
engine into a glider launch winch.

om...

Old March 18th 04, 05:20 AM
superficial intelligence

"Atacdad" wrote in message
How about a "Monster Garage" episode to turn a Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins
engine into a glider launch winch.

they will probably want to add a rocket launcher or mortar onto it as well
to shoot down the launched glider to make the program sell better .

Old March 18th 04, 02:35 PM
mat Redsell

I really think this idea has merit.... but should we also consider lowering
the wing loading so that the horsepower requirements are much less? I also
think that the future of soaring is rather bleak without winch alternatives.

Old March 18th 04, 05:40 PM
A P

I also
think that the future of soaring is rather bleak without winch

alternatives.

It's called Aerotow....... and what's wrong with winch? 1500 ft easy with a
decent field for under 1/3 the price of a 2000 ft tow..... ;-)

AP

Old March 18th 04, 07:24 PM
Ulrich Neumann

"Atacdad" wrote in message
How about a "Monster Garage" episode to turn a Dodge 3/4 ton with

Cummins
engine into a glider launch winch.

they will probably want to add a rocket launcher or mortar onto it as well
to shoot down the launched glider to make the program sell better .

The time it would take to explain to these mental bottom-feeder what
the thing is supposed to do with the "what? Glider? No engine? =
Booooring, Dude!' would exceed the build time or my patience!

But seriously now, any takers?

Ulrich Neumann
Old March 18th 04, 07:35 PM
Ulrich Neumann

"mat Redsell" wrote in message ...
I really think this idea has merit.... but should we also consider lowering
the wing loading so that the horsepower requirements are much less? I also
think that the future of soaring is rather bleak without winch alternatives.

Mat,

I don't think that the road-block for whole winch idea is horse-power.
Horse-Power is available in abundance at a reasonable cost - see Bill
Daniels' write-up on this subject. Even with a high HP winch, older,
smaller and lighter gliders can be launched. It is only when you have
a fully watered open ship or heavy double seat trainer on the other
end of the cable when you need the extra uhmpf!
I think the biggest problem to overcome is the mind-set that the winch
has to be built (cobbled together) in one weekend from parts supplied
exclusively from the local junk-yard. Lets apply some sound
engineering, craftsmenship and parts, that are commercially available
for years to come.

Ulrih Neumann
Old March 18th 04, 09:03 PM
Stefan

Not exactly what you asked for, but take a look at

http://www.skylaunch.de/album/index.html

It's fun and it may give you some ideas.

Stefan

Old March 18th 04, 09:42 PM
mat Redsell

My statement was very confusing... what I really meant was without the winch
I think that we will be in troubles down the road for affordable tows....

And in part I do think that we have taken a wrong road with high wing
lbs of tension at a speed of about 15 mph with a wind down the runway of
about 10 mph. This requires a very small rope and small horsepower.

See the article I posted in the Marske Web site on power requirements for
launching developed by Jim Marske.

http://www.continuo.com/marske/
look under articles for : ultralight design parameters design parameters of
the ultralight glider

But whatever I do think that your idea of developing a winch is a godo idea.
-mat

"A P" wrote in message
I also
think that the future of soaring is rather bleak without winch

alternatives.

It's called Aerotow....... and what's wrong with winch? 1500 ft easy with

decent field for under 1/3 the price of a 2000 ft tow..... ;-)

AP

"mat Redsell" wrote in message

I really think this idea has merit.... but should we also consider

lowering
the wing loading so that the horsepower requirements are much less? I

also
think that the future of soaring is rather bleak without winch

alternatives.

Experience with a pay-out winch? Gary Boggs Soaring 1 February 12th 04 09:12 AM
Winch design c1rrus Soaring 10 January 19th 04 01:18 PM
Winch Way Is Up !! Craig Freeman Soaring 45 November 6th 03 04:08 PM
using winch instead of aerotow goneill Soaring 5 August 27th 03 02:46 PM
Conspiracy Theory’s real Script: Slave CIA, FBI change the story jews wanted to tell the media Jean-Paul Roy Restoration 0 July 12th 03 12:55 PM