Be ready for the worst!

Old March 28th 04, 06:00 PM
Ed Byars

Default Be ready for the worst!

Be ready for the worst:

I totaled my ASW-28 last summer. The next day while I was "out of it" in the
hospital, the Feds (FAA-FISDO not the NTSB {because I didn't get killed I
guess}) inspected the damaged glider and removed all paperwork and my
smashed PDA. A few weeks later they returned all by mail with a formal form
letter thanking me and no other comment. This is the absolute best case
scenario I could have hoped for. Of course it was not admitted but I am
convinced that this was a compliment for my paperwork thoroughness. I had
luckily gone through my annual checklist at the beginning of the season.

This is a warning to remind you to check your paperwork. Here is what I had
in my glider, all required.

1. Glider Log book (up to date)

In a pouch in the back of the log book was:

2. Pink Airworthiness Certificate (Experimental-Racing & Exhibition)

3. Six page 34 item provisions for above

4. Program letter for current year (copy of one that went to FISDO)

5. Exemption letter (for absence of ID on exterior tail),(Expired)

6. Extension letter for the expired exemption letter.

7. Weight and Balance

I did not have the Aircraft Flight Manual aboard. I knew it was required but
took a chance and left this bulky item at home.

It's not exactly "paperwork" but don't forget the placards in the cockpit
area. Feds love to check them (it's a no-brainer for them).

Check your paperwork. Don't give them an excuse to nail you.

The above is bad enough but what about insurance?

The day after my boo-boo my friends collected the bones in the trailer, took
them to a safe place and called my insurance Co (AIG).

In a couple of days an adjuster came to inspect and take photos and with a
request to me for copies of:

1. FAA license

2. Current Medical (Yeah I know it's not required but it was requested)

3. Current BFR

4. Last five pages of my personal flight log book, especially the page
showing where an instructor signed me off for the type glider in question.

5. Front page and last two pages of Glider log book showing current
annual (conditional in this case).

When able I sent all this stuff. Thank goodness everything was up to date.

Then they could not have been nicer. They arranged to pick up the bones (no
questions about it being totaled) and sent me a full check immediately. I
had it insured for what it cost me, which of course was now underinsured I
reminded them that the trailer was not insured by them and was not included.
No problem.

Same warning. Don't give the insurance company a chance to mail you.

Ed Byars

Old March 28th 04, 06:36 PM
Andy Blackburn

Glad to have you back Ed! Hope you're fully back in
flying form and have found a new ride.

Seems like there has been an uptick in FAA inspections
for paperwork - and not just in cases of accidents.

BTW, did anybody check the repack date on your 'chute,
or is that only in cases where you actually used it?

9B

Old March 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Michael McNulty

"Ed Byars" wrote in message
ink.net...

Thanks for the nice reminder. I have a couple of questions embedded below.

Be ready for the worst:

This is a warning to remind you to check your paperwork. Here is what I

had
in my glider, all required.

1. Glider Log book (up to date)

I was not aware that the glider log book is required to be in the aircraft.
Are you sure that this is true? What regulation requires this?

In a pouch in the back of the log book was:

2. Pink Airworthiness Certificate (Experimental-Racing & Exhibition)

3. Six page 34 item provisions for above

4. Program letter for current year (copy of one that went to FISDO)

5. Exemption letter (for absence of ID on exterior tail),(Expired)

6. Extension letter for the expired exemption letter.

7. Weight and Balance

I did not have the Aircraft Flight Manual aboard. I knew it was required

but
took a chance and left this bulky item at home.

I am not aware that the flight manual is required to be in the aircraft. I
believe that all of the information that I am required to have on board is
contained on my placards (which are complete, including the weight and
balance limits). The placards are what my operating limitations address,
and as the aircraft is not certified, there is no such thing as an "approved
flight manual".

Old March 28th 04, 07:12 PM
Marc Ramsey

Michael McNulty wrote:
I am not aware that the flight manual is required to be in the aircraft. I
believe that all of the information that I am required to have on board is
contained on my placards (which are complete, including the weight and
balance limits). The placards are what my operating limitations address,
and as the aircraft is not certified, there is no such thing as an "approved
flight manual".

Check you operating limitations again. Every set I've had has included
a clause that requires carrying the manufacturers flight manual, along
with the placards.

Marc
Old March 28th 04, 08:15 PM
Michael McNulty

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
. com...
Michael McNulty wrote:
I am not aware that the flight manual is required to be in the aircraft.

believe that all of the information that I am required to have on board

is
contained on my placards (which are complete, including the weight and
balance limits). The placards are what my operating limitations

address,
and as the aircraft is not certified, there is no such thing as an

"approved
flight manual".

Check you operating limitations again. Every set I've had has included
a clause that requires carrying the manufacturers flight manual, along
with the placards.

Marc

I just double checked.

My operating limitations do say that I must have "the placards, markings,
etc. required by 91.9" , but there is not any specific reference to the
flight manual. Since my aircraft is experimental, an "approved flight
manual" does not exist, and I fully believe that my placards meet the
requirements of 91.9 for "approved manual material, markings, and placards
or any combination thereof". Again, the relevant document is the aircraft's
particular operating limitations. My operating limitations do require a
specific placard that states the weight and balance limits, Vne, and Va.
(My operating limitations were issued in October 2001, and I believe that
they follow the FAA inspectors handbook guidelines very closely.)

I suppose I could carry a copy of the manual, but I think I'm on pretty
solid ground without it.

Old March 29th 04, 03:54 PM
Ed Byars

If I remember correctly (not too likely) the Manufacturer's Flight Manual
says something like " this manual must be keep in aircraft". Also upon
review I could find no specific Reg requiring aircraft log book to be in
aircraft. It is however, the first thing the Feds will request.
I know in power craft we never carry the paperwork/log briefcase in the
airplane. We even kid with friends making them promise to burn all the
records in case we crash.
Since the glider has no recording tach or Hobbs it's been a habit of mine
for decades to keep the log in the glider where I can keep it current after
each flight.
I would like to check my op. limitations but they went with the glider.
Incidentally I used a small font, reducing Xerox, and both sides to condense
the bulky multi page operating limitations to an almost illegible but a neat
card or two for the cockpit. Same for most other paperwork.
It's interesting to speculate if the placards referring to cockpit weights
will suffice for the W&B requirement.
Also I've heard that we are required only to "show" the Paperwork, not
surrender it. Is this just for the license on a ramp check or for all
"paperwork"? I sure didn't have any choice when they removed everything from
my glider in my absence. I feel sure they were within their rights. Weren't
they?
Remember the FAA motto: We're not happy until you're not happy. I'm
kidding.........some of my best friends are with the FAA.

Old March 29th 04, 04:50 PM
Jim Vincent

Since the glider has no recording tach or Hobbs it's been a habit of mine
for decades to keep the log in the glider where I can keep it current after
each flight.

My glider is registered Experimental and the Operations Limitations state that
the log book must be kept in the aircraft.

I specifically asked the FAA whether I had to log immediately after every
flight or could just update periodically. He said periodically was fine.
Consequentely, my partner and I only update the logbook once a year at annual
inspection.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old March 29th 04, 05:57 PM
Eric Greenwell

Jim Vincent wrote:
Since the glider has no recording tach or Hobbs it's been a habit of mine
for decades to keep the log in the glider where I can keep it current after
each flight.

My glider is registered Experimental and the Operations Limitations state that
the log book must be kept in the aircraft.

I specifically asked the FAA whether I had to log immediately after every
flight or could just update periodically. He said periodically was fine.
Consequentely, my partner and I only update the logbook once a year at annual
inspection.

My operating limitations state: "This aircraft shall contain the
placards, markings, flight manual, etc., developed for this aircraft."

I recklessly fly without the flight manual in the glider! Has anyone
been busted for doing this? If you carry it, have you EVER referred to
it in flight? Is the German version acceptable, even if I can't read
German? I imagine a pilot nearing Vne in a steepening spiral, thumbing
through the pages, looking for G loadings with/without spoilers open...

I DO carry all the "etc." with me, because they are important.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old March 29th 04, 10:38 PM
Cliff Hilty

Glad to see your OK Ed and welcome back! A few years
back I totaled a ASW-19 in a field in Utah, I was not
seriously hurt and only minor damage to the field.
I removed the plane and repaired the damage. I contacted
the Salt lake city FSDO and my insurance company the
next day. They both asked for exactly the same things
most of which you mentioned: Current BFR documentation,
Current Medical, last 5 pages or last 20 hours of my
pilot log (which I had over 70 hours in the last page
so they only got 1 page), current annual page out of
the aircraft log book and a brief description of what
happened. I never heard back from the FSDO, and the
insurance (Costello) paid off without a hitch. Maybe
I was just lucky----err I take that back I WAS lucky
(went through a fence at the end of a field without
decapitating myself)!

Old March 30th 04, 12:53 AM
Chip Fitzpatrick

Anyone remember the scenes in Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying
machines with the German officer who can do anything?

BTW, it is just out on DVD.

Chip F