A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Time to hang it up?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old May 2nd 21, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Fisher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Time to hang it up?

On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 3:11:05 AM UTC+10, wrote:
On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:42:54 PM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
All the best,
ROY

Wellllll!!!! some of us have been the victim of what is in his mind, I don't think we have to go there.

(for those with no sens of humor, just joking)

gkemp "NK"

Now, now Dr. Kemp,
Just because I flew 1000K before you did, is no reason to be vindictive!
😁JJ

Ads
  #22  
Old May 3rd 21, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Time to hang it up?

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=60B5C8 58

  #23  
Old May 3rd 21, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 88
Default Time to hang it

Photo needs some explanation..........
The ship is a Zanonia replica that I just finished up fo the South West Soaring Museum. Johnny Robinson flew it to 3 US National Championships, World Altitude Record (Bishop, Ca) and Worlds first Diamond Badge! No wheel, it took off on a 2 wheel dolly that was then dropped off.........
Johnny installed a Venturi and a needle & ball, then taught himself To fly in clouds! Car tow at Torrey Pines into slope lift, then thermal when a Cu drifted inland. John would enter the cloud and taught himself to fly blind! In competition He would often win the day with 1000 points and the guy in second place would maybe get 200 points!
After winning the Nationals 3 times in a row, cloud flying was forbidden in the US rules.
JJ
  #24  
Old May 4th 21, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Time to hang it

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:08:10 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Photo needs some explanation..........
The ship is a Zanonia replica that I just finished up fo the South West Soaring Museum. Johnny Robinson flew it to 3 US National Championships, World Altitude Record (Bishop, Ca) and Worlds first Diamond Badge! No wheel, it took off on a 2 wheel dolly that was then dropped off.........
Johnny installed a Venturi and a needle & ball, then taught himself To fly in clouds! Car tow at Torrey Pines into slope lift, then thermal when a Cu drifted inland. John would enter the cloud and taught himself to fly blind! In competition He would often win the day with 1000 points and the guy in second place would maybe get 200 points!
After winning the Nationals 3 times in a row, cloud flying was forbidden in the US rules.
JJ



That is a beautiful sailplane design and I bet the workmanship is as impressive as the Super Albatross replica you also donated to the SWS museum. Looking forward to seeing it there.

Mike
  #25  
Old May 4th 21, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aldo Cernezzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Time to hang it

Backseat available in Italy, if you wish to visit the Alps or the Appennines.

all the best for your future life,

Aldo Cernezzi
  #26  
Old May 6th 21, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Koerner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Time to hang it up?

Thanks for the use of the sleeping bag, JJ.
May not seem like much, to loan the bag to a kid who flies in without a crew. But it was heart-warming for me… And a lot more comfortable than my canopy cover.
I flew back to Cal City the next day; May 19, 1979.
Mike Koerner
  #27  
Old May 6th 21, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 88
Default Time to hang it up?

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 12:43:36 AM UTC-7, Mike Koerner wrote:
Thanks for the use of the sleeping bag, JJ.
May not seem like much, to loan the bag to a kid who flies in without a crew. But it was heart-warming for me… And a lot more comfortable than my canopy cover.
I flew back to Cal City the next day; May 19, 1979.
Mike Koerner


Hi Mike,
We remember well........kid flies without a crew and not even a toothbrush. Tows out of Cal City, lands at Minden, spends the night, then takes another tow and flies back to Cal City! You got to be packin’ a large pair of Cohunas!
Well done,
JJ
  #28  
Old May 12th 21, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Koerner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Time to hang it up?

JJ,
I know you’re just having fun, but I’m worried someone reading your comments might walk away with a misimpression of cross-country soaring.
I know where some alternate landing sites are and keep one within glide all the time. And I keep my airspeed in the green, stay away from thunderstorms and avoid hitting mountains. So, except for the tooth decay issue, my cross-country flights are no more dangerous than local soaring.
Now, flying around in the back of an F-4 or B-52 like you used to do, that’s a whole different story.
Mike Koerner

  #29  
Old May 12th 21, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION 2010 MOCIUNPICTURES
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Time to hang it up?

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 4:55:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
Pat & JJ Sinclair


JJ, respectfully, are you confusing the ground work with the flying? I'm also getting older, and find the ground work an increasing burden, but still feel ok to fly. I'm going back to power flying a rental (turn up, fly, go home) and am looking to join a 2-seat glider partnership... with younger pilots who appreciate someone to share the financial burden.
  #30  
Old May 13th 21, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 88
Default Time to hang it up?

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 11:43:28 AM UTC-7, Mike Koerner wrote:
JJ,
I know you’re just having fun, but I’m worried someone reading your comments might walk away with a misimpression of cross-country soaring.
I know where some alternate landing sites are and keep one within glide all the time. And I keep my airspeed in the green, stay away from thunderstorms and avoid hitting mountains. So, except for the tooth decay issue, my cross-country flights are no more dangerous than local soaring.
Now, flying around in the back of an F-4 or B-52 like you used to do, that’s a whole different story.
Mike Koerner


I salute your spirit, Mike. The spirit of youth..........Actually one could say, “the spirit of soaring”, Hitchhiking on the wind!
All the best,
Pat & JJ
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch a First-Time Hang Glider Hang On for Dear Life After Realizing He's Not Strapped In Miloch Aviation Photos 0 November 27th 18 04:09 AM
OT 4 airport round robin - time lapsed / real time with ATC COMS -video A Lieberma[_2_] Owning 0 August 30th 09 12:26 AM
OT 4 airport round robin - time lapsed / real time with ATC COMS -video [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 30th 09 12:26 AM
4 airport round robin - time lapsed / real time with ATC COMS - video [email protected] Piloting 0 August 30th 09 12:25 AM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.