Wake for RAR

Old April 8th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
601XL Builder

Default Wake for RAR

You do realize that is newsgroup and all the rest of USENET is accesible
via Google Groups? Also virtually every computer ships with perfectly
usable USENET software, Outlook Express.

Linc wrote:
The problem is that the newsgroup format requires a dedicated news
reader and a usenet server to pull the messages from. Back in the AOL
days (read: 1995-97), AOL provided this through the service and you
didn't need a reader and the setup for the usenet server was taken
care of. Later, webforums began to take off and the usenet server
became a more archaic method of interaction. Besides, webforums
protected you by giving you a more anonymous interface (not counting
the administrators).

Old April 8th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Linc

Google Groups is a relatively new feature/service, especially compared
to the heyday of RAR. And there are plenty who will argue the
"perfectly usable" nature of OE. What's more, the two do not "blend",
as in you can't setup OE to access Usenet through Google Groups. And
the drawback to OE is that one still needs a News server which has
become more and more archaic, although most ISPs still provide them as
a service.

Linc

Old April 8th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
601XL Builder

Linc you seem to think there is no hope for USENET in general and RAR in
particular. Google Groups is much more accessible than AOL ever was and
there is no need to use OE if you are using GG.

You seem to be promoting the idea of an even less available web based
forum that people would have to find to use. While USENET is very old
technology it is very good at doing what it was designed for. One failed
server doesn't shut it down and no one person can control what is
communicated. A lot of the web-based forums that are out there are
really just fronts for USENET access and some of those posting don't
even know it.

There are over 10,000 groups and while I'll be the first to admit that
many aren't worth the disk space that they use there are several that
have a ton of great information and lively discussion. Including some
right here in the REC.Aviation.* hierarchy.

Old April 9th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Elzee36

wrote in message
I miss the days when Nick Lappos, 180walt, Bob B. and many other very
experienced pilots would exchange information.

Man the NG was great back then, fun and informative some flaming,
some trolling but for the most part
good reading. I left when AOL discontinued Newsgroups but then
picked it back up via Google which was
very simple. But now I pretty much just lurk.

Elzee36 (The Former Micbloo)

Old April 10th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Linc

Hi, Micbloo!
I remember you.

601XL,

I've only been around Usenet for about 10 years. I obviously have no
clue, so you don't have to listen to me. I've only watched the death
of RAR for that last 10 years. And what did everyone migrate to? Those
same web forums you're discounting.

Linc

Old April 11th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Shiver

Elzee36 wrote:

Elzee36 (The Former Micbloo)

*M*I*C*B*L*O*O* --------- YOUR BACK !!!!!

Some of us here had thought you'd died and gone
to the big Wall Street... Or is that the big
Wal*Mart in the sky.

You used to be one of the stalwarts of the group along with the
likes of Bob Barbanes et al who sadly have filtered away to that
big rotary forum found on the WWW.

Sigh.

Could never quite get into the forum thingy myself and always felt
more comfy in the free for all atmosphere of newsgroups.

DON'T BE A STRANGER.
Old April 12th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Elzee36

On Apr 11, 6:31 pm, shiver wrote:
Could never quite get into the forum thingy myself and always felt
more comfy in the free for all atmosphere of newsgroups.

Yes, and not as anonymous as the forum where all types of morons,
idiots, racists
homophobes and children reside. There are some good posters and at
times informative
posts but if they go too long they turn nasty and stupid. Being able
to post anonymously
makes people brave.

DON'T BE A STRANGER.

I've always been around but more lurking than before.

Old April 12th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Shiver

Elzee36 wrote:

I've always been around but more lurking than before.

Well it's nice to know that your still around.
Old April 12th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Elzee36

On Apr 12, 12:13?am, shiver wrote:
Well it's nice to know that your still around.

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
LOL!!
Still watching the skies as always.

Old April 14th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Linc

Does Bob post on JH? I personally don't read JH, but I hear enough
about it. I follow Bob's blog, it's a lot more fun and exciting, and
he writes just as good as he ever did!

Linc