sealing landing gear doors ......

Old April 21st 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default sealing landing gear doors ......

I need to reseal the landing gear doors on my DG303. Currently there
is 2" wide cloth like tape. It has shrunk and left glue residue and a
nice ridge down the middle.

What material have folks had luck with? Any tips and techniques are
much appreciated.

Ron Gleason
DG303 N303MR
Old April 21st 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ron,
Your post got my attention. I also have a DG303 and got sick of the
deteriorating gear door tape. I took it off, removed the glue
residue,but after using some 2" tape I wasn't really happy with the
results and just took the tape off. Is gear door tape a big deal?
Maybe others can chime in here.

Dean Chantiles
DG303 N303BD
Old April 21st 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Gaines[_2_]

To quote a friend, "all tape is no good". TESA tape from Germany is the

best. Clean off the old and replace with TESA (German) tape. Not cheap.

Old April 21st 09, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

On 21 Apr, 01:30, Robert Gaines
wrote:
To quote a friend, "all tape is no good". TESA tape from Germany is the

best. Clean off the old and replace with TESA (German) tape. Not cheap.

Tesa is a manufacturer. They make lots of different sorts of adhesive
tape. Do you mean the cloth reinforced stuff?

Ian
Old April 21st 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Apr 21, 12:47*am, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 21 Apr, 01:30, Robert Gaines
wrote:

To quote a friend, "all tape is no good". TESA tape from Germany is the

best. Clean off the old and replace with TESA (German) tape. Not cheap.

Tesa is a manufacturer. They make lots of different sorts of adhesive
tape. Do you mean the cloth reinforced stuff?

Ian

Tim Mara (Wings and Wheels) carries the white cloth tape you want.
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page29.htm
It IS quite pricey. I'm looking for a suitable substitute for my Grob
rudder hinge. I use about 4 feet a year, and the roll I bought 5
years ago is still quite full, but in poor shape because I didn't
store it properly.
Old April 21st 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Apr 20, 4:58*pm, wrote:
Ron,
* Your post got my attention. I also have a DG303 and got sick of the
deteriorating gear door tape. I took it off, removed the glue
residue,but after using some 2" tape I wasn't really happy with the
results and just took the tape off. Is gear door tape a big deal?
Maybe others can chime in here.

* * * * * * Dean Chantiles
* * * * * * DG303 N303BD

Ron and Dean,
I'll take a look at the tape when I get home from work, and if it
looks okay, I'd be willing to box it and send it to one of you. You
could use what you need, then send it to the other, and then back to
me.
Jim
Old April 21st 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Apr 21, 12:47 am, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 21 Apr, 01:30, Robert Gaines
wrote:

To quote a friend, "all tape is no good". TESA tape from Germany is the
best. Clean off the old and replace with TESA (German) tape. Not cheap.

Tesa is a manufacturer. They make lots of different sorts of adhesive
tape. Do you mean the cloth reinforced stuff?

Ian

Tim Mara (Wings and Wheels) carries the white cloth tape you want.
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page29.htm
It IS quite pricey. I'm looking for a suitable substitute for my Grob
rudder hinge. I use about 4 feet a year, and the roll I bought 5
years ago is still quite full, but in poor shape because I didn't
store it properly.

I just use Blenderm medical tape (for over 20 years now), obtainable
from a pharmacy: lasts years (but easy to remove when needed), easy to
apply, thin, flexible, stretchy, translucent. The cloth stuff doesn't
seem to have any advantages on the ASW-20 I had, or the ASH 26 E I have now.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old April 21st 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

HI Eric,

What width blenderm do you use?

Thanks,

WD
Old April 22nd 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Ron and Dean,
* I'll take a look at the tape when I get home from work, and if it
looks okay, I'd be willing to box it and send it to one of you. *You
could use what you need, then send it to the other, and then back to
me.
Jim

Jim thanks for the offer but I am going to acquire some Blenderm tape
and use that. This appears to be the easiest and most straight
forward soultion.

Thanks to everyone for the suggesstions.