On-Line NTSB Reports Now Provide More Information

Old December 19th 05, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default On-Line NTSB Reports Now Provide More Information

It seems the on-line NTSB web site now has much more detailed accident
report PDF files available by using the search page:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

For example, here's the old format:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...14X35941&key=1

The new format includes PDF files with considerably more information
included: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...85FA169&rpt=fa
Old December 21st 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
It seems the on-line NTSB web site now has much more detailed accident
report PDF files available by using the search page:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

For example, here's the old format:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...14X35941&key=1

The new format includes PDF files with considerably more information
included: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...85FA169&rpt=fa

Depends on the date. The really old stuff has little more than the
statistical information on the crash. The mid stuff has a synopsis.
Later stuff (and they've been doing this for a while) has fuller reports
(facts, probable cause, depending on where they are in the investigation).
Old December 21st 05, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:09:40 -0500, Ron Natalie
wrote in ::

Larry Dighera wrote:
It seems the on-line NTSB web site now has much more detailed accident
report PDF files available by using the search page:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

For example, here's the old format:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...14X35941&key=1

The new format includes PDF files with considerably more information
included: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...85FA169&rpt=fa

Depends on the date. The really old stuff has little more than the
statistical information on the crash. The mid stuff has a synopsis.
Later stuff (and they've been doing this for a while) has fuller reports
(facts, probable cause, depending on where they are in the investigation).

I found more information on the accidents I researched than was there
the last time I looked. That's an improvement regardless.

Before what date would you classify "really old stuff?"

The first fatal airplane accident occurred at Fort Meyer on September
17, 1908 while Orville Wright was conducting military trials of the
Wright Flyer. In mid-flight, the propeller broke as a result of
hitting guy wires that Orville had adjusted prior to departure, and
the plane plunged 150 feet. Orville suffered multiple hip and leg
fractures but Lieutenant Thomas E. Selfridge of the U.S. Signal
Corps., who was also on board, died.

http://www.fullbooks.com/A-History-of-Aeronautics1.html
Old December 23rd 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

Before what date would you classify "really old stuff?"

I think the 90's or so. Back when I was purchasing my plane
I looked up the N number on the database and the stuff wasn't
there. Five years ago or so, the NTSB announced they had
added some older reports into the online database and I did
it again and found oen for 1971 (you can look up N5327K to
see it).

The NTSB says that they have info from 62 but only partial
stuff for prior than 93.
Old December 26th 05, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:44:52 -0500, Ron Natalie
wrote in ::

Larry Dighera wrote:

Before what date would you classify "really old stuff?"

I think the 90's or so. Back when I was purchasing my plane
I looked up the N number on the database and the stuff wasn't
there. Five years ago or so, the NTSB announced they had
added some older reports into the online database and I did
it again and found oen for 1971 (you can look up N5327K to
see it).

The NTSB says that they have info from 62 but only partial
stuff for prior than 93.

That's interesting, but I don't think it is consistent with what I
found if the links to the '84 accident I posted are representative.
This is the first time I have seen any .PDF report files available;
they seem to contain significantly more information than the text
files that had been exclusively available before now.