Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old April 1st 20, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 12:42:37 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
We were in Kaktovik (Barter Island on the Canadian border) I had forgotten my .44. There was a couple of Polar Bears milling around close by. My copilot carried a 9 mm. I asked him if he thought he could kill a Polar Bear with his 9 mm. He told me he didn’t need to he would just shoot me in the leg and stay ahead of me...

Now that's funny.
ROY

I was visiting a local friend and rancher when he showed me where a gator , said to be the largest that he has ever seen on the ranch had killed a 2 thousand pound breeder bull and drug it into a canal where it would wait for the meat to rot and eat.
I guess the bull never stood a chance, a gator can outrun a horse for about 40 yards. Another reason to carry protection while in the wilderness. Bob
Old April 1st 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 6:36:07 AM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
I don’t know maybe put something in the glider. If you have to bail out hope you land near the glider. I grew up in Alaska. It’s possible to kill a bear with a pistol but it’s pretty sporty. I had friends that did it. We usually carried .44 magnum wheel guns while hiking.

When I was flying Twin Otters on the North Slope. There was a story floating around about a guy at one of the DEW Line sights killing a Polar Bear that broke in with a 9 mm. Don’t know if it’s true.

Of course you could take my copilots position. We were in Kaktovik (Barter Island on the Canadian border) I had forgotten my .44. There was a couple of Polar Bears milling around close by. My copilot carried a 9 mm. I asked him if he thought he could kill a Polar Bear with his 9 mm. He told me he didn’t need to he would just shoot me in the leg and stay ahead of me...

Here is an actual analysis of all known (at the time of writing in 2018) pistol defenses of bear attacks. Bottom line: 97% success rate, including 4 with 9mm one of which killing the bear with a single shot. Bear spray was not very effective and totally ineffective if it is windy (it might work on unruly glider pilots, however). The bear was missed in the unsuccessful case..

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz6IOWpC5ZV
Old April 1st 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

A shoulder holster under your parachute harness might work.Â* When I was
flying in Alaska in the 70s I tried carrying my .44 Magnum six shooter
with a 6-inch barrel in a shoulder holster but it was too big.Â* The butt
was just under my chin and the muzzle was stuck against the seat pack
parachute in the ejection seat.Â* I took it out, handed it down to my
crew chief, told him to be careful as it was loaded, and went off to fly
the mission.

On 4/1/2020 12:06 AM, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 6:31:44 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Actually this is kind of a funny thread! Coronavirus has certainly taken the spotlight off gun control. I don’t carry in my glider. But it’s a thought. I prefer the plastic fantastic Glock. It’s really easy to train family members on. If it was just me I would probably carry a custom 1911.

I've been trying to figure out how I'd carry a G20 (10mm) on my person while flying. I live in bear country, and a land-out in the woods could have some extra danger. I thought about using a Hill People Gear kit bag, but it is positioned in just the wrong place where it blocks access to the D-ring of the rip chord of my parachute. A drop leg holster would interfere with access to the elevator trim. And appendix carry would crunch the nuts. I may have to consider an ankle holster, but a G20 doesn't fit real well down there either. Thoughts?

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 1st 20, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Running shoes are only effective if there's someone else with you who
does not have good shoes.Â* I well placed shot to his kneecap ensures
your escape.

Longley wrote:
Actually this is kind of a funny thread! Coronavirus has certainly

taken
=
the spotlight off gun control. I don=E2=80=99t carry in my glider.

But it=
=E2=80=99s a thought. I prefer the plastic fantastic Glock.

It=E2=80=99s
[...]

You thinking of shooting at a bear with a pistol? In my very limited
experience pistols are not that accurate and you might end up just
irritating the bear. Even if you hit it. My recommendation would be
at least a 50 cal or better yet a good pair of running shoes.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 1st 20, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

There are bears in the east.Â* About 15 years back I was riding my Harley
up I-91 in PA when a black bear ran across the road in front of me.

On 4/1/2020 10:29 AM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Your story reminds me of a decades old "joke"......I don't need running shoes to outrun a bear/big cat.....I just need to outrun YOU!

Agreed, not something needed to know in eastern US...but sorta fun (for those with running shoes) as well as sorta worthwhile.....

Things we bring up in this "crappy time on the planet"......sigh....

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 1st 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Longley wrote:
[...]

Many of our local SAR guys carry a G20 with Buffalo Bore 220gr hard cast bullets. Same for local game wardens. This is widely viewed as the "bear" minimum caliber. Obviously, shot placement is critical.

Dan, I'll have to explore the shoulder holster option, particularly if it can be fit under the parachute.
Old April 1st 20, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh[_2_]

So now motor glider pilots have another "advantage": no need
to tote iron?

Old April 2nd 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan, I'll have to explore the shoulder holster option, particularly if it can be fit under the parachute.

Our Airport Manager is a former Vietnam POW who was shot down in 1972. Upon bailout from his B-52, his lensatic compass was caught under his 'chute harness when the canopy opened. He got three broken ribs out of it. However, that was just the beginning of his troubles.

Old April 2nd 20, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 4/1/2020 4:50 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Better to have it and not need it... What if your engine won't start?

On 4/1/2020 3:48 PM, Dave Walsh wrote:
So now motor glider pilots have another "advantage": no need to tote
iron?

Heh.I've seen many a non-running automobile with plenteous bullet holes in the
hood region!

---
https://www.avg.com