BELL 417

Old April 6th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default BELL 417

I heard via the rumor mill that Bell has cancelled the 417. Also
heard that Bell has crashed 3 of the new armed recon helos and the
Army is concidering cacelling the contract. Anyone have any new on
the above taopics?

Old April 7th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Linc

The 417 cancelation was announced at Heli-Expo 07: fact.
The Army issued a stop work notice to Bell requiring them to stop work
for 30 days and create a plan to restructure the program to get the
costs back down and put the program back on schedule. Bell petitioned
the Army to allow them to continue working while they do the required
restructuring. The Army acquiesced to that request: all fact.
Only one crash has been acknowledged by Bell.

Linc

Old April 10th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Amazing that Bell cannot even design yet another upgrade to the 206.
I wonder why Eurocopter with freash clean sheet designs is the leading
supplier of helicopters? Just cannot figure that out.

Let's see, Long ranger, 407, 427, 427i (I guess that one did not work
either) and now the 429.

Maybe Bell should hire European engineers and managers.

Old April 10th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

wrote in message
oups.com...
Amazing that Bell cannot even design yet another upgrade to the 206.
I wonder why Eurocopter with freash clean sheet designs is the leading
supplier of helicopters? Just cannot figure that out.

Let's see, Long ranger, 407, 427, 427i (I guess that one did not work
either) and now the 429.

Maybe Bell should hire European engineers and managers.

The 206 was designed before Larry Bell died wasn't it?

Old April 10th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
B4RT

wrote in message
oups.com...
Amazing that Bell cannot even design yet another upgrade to the 206.
I wonder why Eurocopter with freash clean sheet designs is the leading
supplier of helicopters? Just cannot figure that out.

Airframes aren't like cars, we dont need new models every year. Look at the
B52. Add to that the fact that no one wants the 1st 100 of any type and you
can understand why they sometimes cancel projects.

Honestly the only thing I wish they'd change about the JetRanger is making
cleaner popout float gear for it. The reason I don't have a 407 is because
four bladed machines are a pain in the butt to house.

Bart

Old April 11th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Dear Bart:

Airframes could stand an aerodynamic update, construction materials
and/or methods update, fittings update... Ranger was designed in the
early 60's. Two bladed rotor systems are more subject to pilot error,
strong gusts, limited CG range,...

Bottom line, fresh safety minded new designs sell, not my argument
look at the market.

On Apr 10, 4:40 am, "B4RT" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Amazing that Bell cannot even design yet another upgrade to the 206.
I wonder why Eurocopter with freash clean sheet designs is the leading
supplier of helicopters? Just cannot figure that out.

Airframes aren't like cars, we dont need new models every year. Look at the
B52. Add to that the fact that no one wants the 1st 100 of any type and you
can understand why they sometimes cancel projects.

Honestly the only thing I wish they'd change about the JetRanger is making
cleaner popout float gear for it. The reason I don't have a 407 is because
four bladed machines are a pain in the butt to house.

Bart

Bell 212 fin [email protected] Rotorcraft 0 October 31st 05 03:58 AM
Bell 47 Annual John P. Kelly Rotorcraft 1 February 5th 05 04:51 AM
Bell 47 goes down in Muncie, IN [email protected] Rotorcraft 14 August 17th 04 11:29 PM
bell xp-77-info? J. Paaso Home Built 0 March 25th 04 01:19 PM
Bell 47's ??? Badwater Bill Rotorcraft 3 September 29th 03 04:32 AM