Wing Frequency measuring app

Old March 4th 16, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wing Frequency measuring app

I have written an app that measures wing frequency - currently available for Android on the Play Store he https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...j.ios.wingfreq.

An IOS version will be available once I jump through the various hoops Apple places in the way.

Video of it in action he https://youtu.be/dBJOBxGWtCQ.

Clyde.
Old March 5th 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glidingstuff[_2_]

Awesome. Thanks

Old March 5th 16, 04:56 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Could you explain what information, useful or otherwise you getting from doing this.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Old March 5th 16, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The wing frequency is measured by rocking one wingtip up and down, so that the opposite tip moves up and down in unison. There is a natural frequency this will occur at determined mainly by the mass of the wings and their stiffness.

It's standard practice to measure the wing frequency of a glider at each annual inspection (or after events such as a hard landing) and compare it with the measurement from the previous year (which would be recorded in the logbook.) If there is a significant change, especially if it reduces, that suggests that there is some structural damage to the wing. A cracked spar for example will reduce the stiffness and therefore the resonant frequency.

for Android on the Play Store he http://tinyurl.com/z4vztzn.

--
POPS

Old March 5th 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

clyde;922414 Wrote:
I have written an app that measures wing frequency - currently available
for Android on the Play Store he http://tinyurl.com/z4vztzn.

An IOS version will be available once I jump through the various hoops
Apple places in the way.

Video of it in action he https://youtu.be/dBJOBxGWtCQ.

Clyde.

--
POPS

Thanks for asking, I wasn't sure myself...... Now we all know!
;-)
Old March 6th 16, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IA DPE

In order for this to be recorded in the aircraft logbook, it would have to be a FAA approved measuring device, right?

While I can see some value in knowing this reading, there would have to be standardization in the measuring device and technique I would think.
Old March 6th 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 8:01:24 PM UTC-6, IA DPE wrote:
In order for this to be recorded in the aircraft logbook, it would have to be a FAA approved measuring device, right?

While I can see some value in knowing this reading, there would have to be standardization in the measuring device and technique I would think.

The FAA does not approve of the ruler or protractor you use to measure control travels. They don't approve the spring scale you use to check the force required to lock or unlock the dive brakes. They don't approve the gauge you use to check your tire pressure. Why do you think they would have to approve a device that can be used to measure 1st mode symmetric wing bending? Not everything that gets written in the log book needs to have been measured with some FAA Approved Device.

And, yes. There is a standard procedure for doing this. And it is measured by many manufacturers, and is recorded in the data for the airplane. If you have any German manufactured glider, and have data back to the factory weight and balance and initial flight test, this number is probably recorded there.

Steve Leonard
Old March 6th 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Thanks, Clyde. I know that this measurement is done at every Form Two inspection where you live.

Until this app, the device was a mark one eyeball, and counting "one, two, three, (etc) while looking at some cheap watch. Then doing it again because you're sure you lost count! The last bit probably won't change until you believe the app can count.
Jim

Old March 6th 16, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, in the weight and balance of my ASH30mi it's write;

- Flügel-Biegeschw.-Zahl: 72 pro Minute

- Stehwellenmessung: 118MHz; 1,7, 126MHz; 1,1, 135MHz; 1,2

François