Bluetooth headsets?

Old July 20th 05, 02:00 PM
Jim N.

Default Bluetooth headsets?

Are there any leads on ANR Bluetooth headsets I should check out at OSH? It
seems like this technology will be the wave of the future- any hints from
Bose or Lightspeed?

Can't make the party during the week, but will be there over the weekend
walking around in the flight suit helping with the recruiters.

Old July 20th 05, 02:49 PM
S.

"Jim N." wrote in message
Are there any leads on ANR Bluetooth headsets I should check out at OSH?
It seems like this technology will be the wave of the future- any hints
from Bose or Lightspeed?

Can't make the party during the week, but will be there over the weekend
walking around in the flight suit helping with the recruiters.

I'm not overly impressed with Bluetooth.

I have a PDA - cellphone and a Jabra 'BT200 headset'. This was highly rated
at the time, but it (Bluetooth signal) starts to break up when the phone is
more than 4 or 5 ft. away.

As for aviation headsets I don't know, but wouldn't rush to buy anyway. Not
as great a technology as they (vendors) would have you believe.

Old July 20th 05, 02:51 PM
Paul kgyy

I suspect all the major players are working on this. I'd wait until
the dust settles a bit before buying one. One thing to keep in mind is
that if you eliminate the cord, the ANR batteries need to be mounted in
the headset itself, creating a design compromise between battery life
and headset weight.

Old July 20th 05, 04:15 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jim,

Are there any leads on ANR Bluetooth headsets I should check out at OSH?

AFAIK, only non-ANR headsets with BT are being introduced, specifically
In-The-Ear headsets. But, while I use BT regularly with great success in
other applications and am very impressed with the technology, I would
agree with the other poster that some maturing of the application in
aviation headsets should be waited for.

Personally, I have never been bothered by the headset cable, but that's
just me.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 20th 05, 04:39 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Jim,

Are there any leads on ANR Bluetooth headsets I should check out at OSH?

AFAIK, only non-ANR headsets with BT are being introduced, specifically
In-The-Ear headsets. But, while I use BT regularly with great success in
other applications and am very impressed with the technology, I would
agree with the other poster that some maturing of the application in
aviation headsets should be waited for.

Personally, I have never been bothered by the headset cable, but that's
just me.

--

Peltor has a Bluetooth headset. I think it is ANR

http://www.peltor.com/

I'm with Tom though the cable just never bothered me.

Old July 20th 05, 11:14 PM
Ben Hallert

Don't worry, it's just a matter of time before we have wireless power
too. Why, every aero-plane of the future will have a shiny new Tesla
coil mounted on the ceiling to provide broadcast power (compliments of
the onboard uranium pile) to all components without old fashioned
wiring.

Ah yes, I can feel the soothing rays of clean, broadcast power now.
Thank you, atomic energy!

Next week, rocket-cars. How will they fit in the "radar " talk-down
service being offered by the new "National Airspace System"?

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old July 20th 05, 11:44 PM
Stubby

Ben Hallert wrote:
Don't worry, it's just a matter of time before we have wireless power
too. Why, every aero-plane of the future will have a shiny new Tesla
coil mounted on the ceiling to provide broadcast power (compliments of
the onboard uranium pile) to all components without old fashioned
wiring.

Ah yes, I can feel the soothing rays of clean, broadcast power now.
Thank you, atomic energy!

I believe Telsa was advocating broadcast power in 1895. (R**2 drops of
fairly fast -- you don't want to live far from the power source!)
Old July 21st 05, 12:54 AM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:00:03 GMT, "Jim N."
wrote:

Are there any leads on ANR Bluetooth headsets I should check out at OSH? It
seems like this technology will be the wave of the future- any hints from
Bose or Lightspeed?

Can't make the party during the week, but will be there over the weekend
walking around in the flight suit helping with the recruiters.

BT + a headset seems like a good fit, but it is not a very redundant
setup. If the batteries go dead, so does the headset. Granted, this
is the same for the ANR headsets, but they at least fall back to
passive mode.

-Nathan

Old July 21st 05, 02:29 AM
Morgans

"Thomas Borchert" wrote

Personally, I have never been bothered by the headset cable, but that's
just me.

They would be most valuable for people who want to do a mid flight
walk-around, when they hear funny noises.

;-)
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 05, 08:03 PM
Roger

wrote:

Are there any leads on ANR Bluetooth headsets I should check out at OSH? It
seems like this technology will be the wave of the future- any hints from
Bose or Lightspeed?

I would not want something like my aviation communications to depend
on it. It normally works fine, but is subject to being blocked by
other signals of the same time if there are too many.

Personally, I like it, but don't use it with my computers as it's too
darn slow. I'm running a gigabit network. When they get the speed up
to that point I'll be changing as I have one cat-5e cable that runs
within 10 feet of the base of my 130 foot tower. Well, the tower is
only 100 but mast to the top antennas goes 130 and the darn thing gets
hit by lightning on an average of three times a summer. It hasn't
done any damage yet, other than causing the network to reset.
(There are about 33 8' ground rods cad welded (TM) to over 600 feet of
bare #2 copper in the ground system)